The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Blade coming off lt40 wide  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Mlanier

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Blade coming off lt40 wide
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 06:04:27 PM »
I was having the same issues with my LT-40.
What was causing my issues was pitch building up between the drive side wheel and the tire (belt). I mean I would clean the the wheel, put on a belt, and throw a blade before I could get 5-6 cuts in.
Iíd check the wheel and sure enough thereíd be pitch built up between them again.
I switched from a B57 to a B56 on the drive wheel side only and havenít had a problem throwing blades since (knock on wood)

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • letís make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »
I was having the same issues with my LT-40.
What was causing my issues was pitch building up between the drive side wheel and the tire (belt). I mean I would clean the the wheel, put on a belt, and throw a blade before I could get 5-6 cuts in.
Iíd check the wheel and sure enough thereíd be pitch built up between them again.
I switched from a B57 to a B56 on the drive wheel side only and havenít had a problem throwing blades since (knock on wood)
I called Woodmizer early this morning and as luck would have it, I got Mike in tech support. (I sure enjoy talking with him, he is a wealth of information) Anyway, he patiently listened to everything I have checked and confirmed to be within spec. Then I asked if he had any thoughts about what was happening. He confidently answered, I do, first off, what is causing the blade to come off at startup canít be measured. It is sap getting between the belt and the the drive wheel. When the drive wheel is spinning, the sap gets warm and sticky. Then when it stops the belt gets stuck to the drive wheel where it is being held by the blade. Then when you start it again the loose section of the belt that isnít being held down with the blade basically wads up and knocks the blade off. As for the blade coming off in the cut, he credited that to a chunk of bark or something knocking it off. He went on to explain that some people that cut a lot of pine in the south have switched to B-56 belts, which seems to have solved the problem. 
Thank you all for your input, I hope this will help others in the future. Now that I have cleaned the blade wheel V grooves with a light machine oil, I look forward to getting back to milling in the morning. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline Beavertooth

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »
Putting silicone spray on the wheel in the groove also helps keep the sap from building up and dose not seem to cause any slippage and also make sure you are letting the tension off the blade when you stop cutting as leaving it on definitely will make the belt stick harder to the wheel if you have any sap in there. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 07:18:49 AM »

I'd just switch to B56 belts, a pain to get on sometimes but less belt damage with broken blades plus never get anything under them.  Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 08:50:10 AM »
The B56 is a smaller belt? I am just following along. The damage to a belt from broken blades is what interest me. I tend to break blades, or get thrown from backing out of large cuts. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 08:56:01 AM »
Yes the B-56 is a shorter belt. The B designates the V-size while the 56 represents the length of the belt. Iíve heard of guys putting them in hot water before installing to make it I little easier. 
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline swampwood

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 11:05:16 PM »
Yes I had this problem with napa belts. The flat b57's from WM are a must or you will have to make tracking adjustments you really don't want to make and have no specs to fall back on.
Jm2cw

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 11:08:50 PM »
Yes I had this problem with napa belts. The flat b57's from WM are a must or you will have to make tracking adjustments you really don't want to make and have no specs to fall back on.
Jm2cw
it turns out the Napa belts were not the issue. To the best of my knowledge, Woodmizer donít make B-56 belts, so those who have switched are running napa belts. 

Offline Will_Johnson

• Sponsor
  • TimberKing Factory Rep
    • Share Post
    • www.timberking.com
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:38 AM »
I think every manufacturer that uses belted wheels will agree all B57 or B56 belts are not created equal. They vary a great deal between belt manufacturers (Gates etc...)

We carry B56 belts that do well in the band mill application. Feel free to give us a call we'd be happy to help. Or you can feel free to email me at wjohnson@timberking.com.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
LT40 mill problem, chattering blade in wide cuts

Started by Kelvin on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 09:34:34 AM
by pineywoods
question
what mill to buy? lt15 wide or lt40 wide

Started by markymark on Sawmills and Milling

15 Replies
Last post January 28, 2019, 07:58:32 AM
by stanmillnc