The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: WM (LT50) Debarker questions  (Read 1150 times)

Offline boonesyard

• I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
Re: WM (LT50) Debarker questions
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 09:28:53 AM »
Yea, i was looking at the swing belt too, but the shaft is pretty small. I think I'll leave that alone. I don't have any problem riding the swing switch, I just figured that might be part of the reason the breakers might trip. Sometime I can go for a week or 2 without tripping, next time it trips right away. I think I'll order a new breaker.
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline Crossroads

• Senior Member x2
  • let’s make some sawdust
    • Share Post
    • Kevin Bales faith family farm and portable sawmill
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 03:16:04 PM »
The major downfall with the swing motor is the hole drilled through it for a roll pin. Definitely a manufactured weak spot
2017 LT40 wide, Kubota l185dt, 2-036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Farmi logging winch, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 01:31:33 PM »
There is a world of useful information here for a guy like me, thank you all!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 06:54:54 PM »
Also know that "wide" might refer to two different things.  The wide head is one thing but also the debarker blade is offered in two different thicknesses as Stephen1 mentioned above.  ¼" and ½"  I prefer the ¼" because the cut is narrower taking less hp to turn/cut.  That plus my thinking is that the top of the ½" blade could contact the log leaving the lower portion of the blade not cutting/cleaning the log.  Also as designed, my blade is climbing out of the cut and the teeth have a back rake.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Resident trouble maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2021, 08:58:39 PM »
After reading this thread, I thought Id show  how I overcame the same problem(s) many have with the debarker system on some Woodmizers.
 The first video is one I made today and the second is from 2013 when I first came up with the idea. I was using a 12 volt compressor back then but now I use the house air supply which tensions my blade as well.

https://youtu.be/fX5zdwEDOM4

https://youtu.be/cFpxoOZRLUs
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Offline boonesyard

• I've got a little sawdust in my pocket
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 11:43:24 AM »
After reading this thread, I thought Id show  how I overcame the same problem(s) many have with the debarker system on some Woodmizers.
 The first video is one I made today and the second is from 2013 when I first came up with the idea. I was using a 12 volt compressor back then but now I use the house air supply which tensions my blade as well.

https://youtu.be/fX5zdwEDOM4

https://youtu.be/cFpxoOZRLUs
That is a great idea. 
LT50 wide
iDRY Standard kiln
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
Well a little follow-up here for future readers. I have yet to mess around with the blade rotation, but I have been working on my technique and have found that will diligence I can mostly keep the breaker from popping. I have gone entire days without it popping even once. However, the exception to this is on small logs where that top cut is often on a steep part of the log curve. For some reason this overloads it regularly. I vary technique constantly but this issue in consistent. One the larger logs where the blade is 'properly engaged' I have much better success. I just have to keep a close eye on it during it's travel length and adjust as I go. It's important not to engage the log 'hard', but rather to just make sure the blade is deep enough to do it's job and no more.
 AT this point I am quite sure the breaker is soft but we haven't gotten a replacement yet. In summary operator skill plays in here a lot, I think, but is not the only piece of the problem.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »
Tom,

The last job I did I was thinking how well my debarker was working. I'd just barely kiss the logs and was constantly adjusting the swing in and out based on the log profile. They were mostly thick, dirty locust logs and the little debarker was earing its voltage. Then suddenly my debarker just stopped working. I checked the breaker and it was not tripped. I have broken the little wire feeding it in the past so took the plate off and checked that. The wire was okay and when I'd hit the forward button I'd hear the solenoid click but no spinning blade. I checked the blade and found the 2 set screws had loosened and the blade had dropped and it was wedging. I just slid it up and tightened it with an allen key but it slipped again so I used my 3/8" socket with the allen key attachment and was able to torque it enough it held. I just remembered it is riding a little high now cutting the groove just above the blade so I need to remember to adjust the height to match the blade.

Bottom line/lesson learned - check those set screws in your debarker as part of your normal check list/service routine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 11:22:02 AM »
OG, I may have said this already, sorry if I am repeating myself. My debarker is the old version, but if I am consistently popping the breaker I have to back of the spring preload on the tensioner arm. And yes, once they pop a few times they keep popping easier and easier. If mine is popping a lot, something is out of adjustment and needs investigated. My main problem is my 1/2 hp motor just doesn't have enough sauce to power those dull toothed negative rake blades in very deep.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »
Howard, glad you figured it out. Surprised the breaker didn't pop when the blade bound up. These WM debarkers have so many versions and revisions just for the LT50 alone that I can't keep them all straight. The one on your mill I think is very different than on the mill I run and I don't recall any set screws of which you speak. I will take a look next time though but I think I am running a very different animal. This is a 2017 and I believe there were 2 separate major revision upgrades since this was first built. Plus, it's a wide version.
 Sure good to know though and good to pass along. These little things can drive a man to drink if your head isn't in the right place when they happen or if you don't look in exactly the right place at the right angle or misinterpret what you think you are seeing. If you are on a job and the sun is heading toward the horizon, and you want to get back on the road for your 2 hour drive home, and you still have 5 logs to go, things can get even worse. SO I am told anyway. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 01:21:50 PM »
Tom,

I don't know how else your blade would attach to the shaft of the debarker motor. The blade has a flat side and so does the shaft. Just line them up, slide the blade up and tighten the set screw(s). I bet you a lutefiske sandwich that is the way yours attaches too. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2021, 02:41:39 PM »
Well I am still very confused by your description Howard. I don't know of this 'flat' you are talking about, its a round hole and the only flats are the sides of the blade body. This debarker has the blade held on by a single large bolt up through the center and a large flat washer. It may be your are talking about the set screws that hold the blade adaptor onto the motor shaft. I'll take some photos next time I am there. Regardless of how it turns out, you can keep your lutefisk (please).

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2021, 03:22:29 PM »
I installed the 1/2" blade on my Debarker along witha new breaker. Works great now. I like the larger grouve of the 1/2" blade. I find it works better but it ccold be it's just new and sharp.  :)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
Tom,

Okay on the Lutefish sandwich. Yes I am talking about the blade adapter that fits on to the shaft of the motor. Those are the set screws that loosened in my case.
Howard Green

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »
I'll have to take a look when I am there next.

Offline terrifictimbersllc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Terrific Timbers LLC
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2021, 07:19:02 PM »
Debarker blade bore has a flat on it that matches the end of the mandrel.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2021, 08:10:20 PM »
Well Dennis, that doesn't sound like what we have. You made me get up from my cozy warm chair in a balmy 75° cave and go out to the shop and look at a blade I have on the bench for repair. This was the original blade that came on the LT50 debarker. For the life of me I remembered no flat or "D" hole in that blade and sure enough, this is how it looks:

You really had me second guessing myself. After all my years fixing machinery I couldn't imagine that I had not made note of something like that, so I had to go look and see if my 'old-timers disease" was progressing. The replacement blade for this was the same way, round hole.

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »
However, the exception to this is on small logs where that top cut is often on a steep part of the log curve. For some reason this overloads it regularly.

Do you think maybe the blade is trying to climb up slope and binding?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2021, 09:46:04 PM »
It could very well be the case. I am slow but persistent and keep watching this and studying it trying to figure it out. AT the moment, I am thinking this may be the case, but I am trying to figure out why. We are still considering flipping the blade and reversing the motor direction, this has worked for others (read back a a little).
 Also now thinking about MAYBE trying that 1/2" blade even though this is counter intuitive to me. I can't debate actual experience such as Stephen has. I am patient. I keep watching and learning and am well aware that I only have just under of a hundred hours running this mill so my skills are the first thing I question before I blame the equipment.

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 12:58:54 PM »

Hard to see but the set screws are on the adapter to the debarker blade here.

Bottom view of my debarker blade attachment.

If that is not what you have and I owe you a lutefish sandwich that you don't want come on down and I'll substitute a WV catfish sandwich instead. It does taste better than lutefish and actually is easier to come by. :D
Howard Green

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Bent debarker on the new LT50

Started by JVK on Sawmills and Milling

12 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 01:39:13 AM
by JVK
xx
LT40 Woodmizer Mark I debarker questions

Started by hauler83 on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 03:00:48 PM
by sparks