iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too wide for me

Started by TimW, October 08, 2021, 05:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

I an not sure if this is the right place to post this.  I'm wide but I ain't this wide.  I am needing someone to help her out.  I got a call from a lady in Huntsville, Texas.  She has a Red Oak that needs to be cut.  It is around 46 inch diameter. 

If anyone wants to cut it up for her, send me a PM for her contact information.
hugs, Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

if it is almost 4 foot diameter, how long is it.  the 4 foot logs i have done are split down the middle (chain saw) and then put on the mill.  my cut width is 32 with a gantry width (4 post head) of 36 inches.  does she want boards?  or does she just want it gone.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on October 08, 2021, 06:06:03 PM
if it is almost 4 foot diameter, how long is it.  the 4 foot logs i have done are split down the middle (chain saw) and then put on the mill.  my cut width is 32 with a gantry width (4 post head) of 36 inches.  does she want boards?  or does she just want it gone.
Doc,
         Looks to be around 40 feet in the photo.  She doesn't know what she wants.  She just wants it cutup.  Don't know if this lady got my number from Woodmizer or my business card.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

barbender

The angle of the picture could be fooling me, but using that rake for reference I don't think it is 46". Of course, I've been wrong before😊
Too many irons in the fire

TimW

Quote from: barbender on October 09, 2021, 01:00:34 AM
The angle of the picture could be fooling me, but using that rake for reference I don't think it is 46". Of course, I've been wrong before😊
Hey, I'm just repeating what she told me when I was grocery shopping yesterday.
Y'all have at it.  I say no to her for my rig.
hugs,  Brandi

Tacotodd

Brandi, it'd be great for someone with a firewood fetish. Let the work commence!
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

If i was retired, i would drive down for the fun of it (if my wife would let me)  and bring it home.  how far from you is she?  looks like fun!

Tacotodd

Doc, according to "Siri" it's about 394mi.
Trying harder everyday.

TimW

It's Red Oak.  They are a dime a dozen around here.  Nothing special about it.  When I cut firewood and kindling for Mom and Dad's stove, I loved Red Oak as they split the easiest around here.
Besides, she has no clue how she wants it cut.  But she wants it cut.
hugs,  Brandi

Magicman

I would 'jump butt' about 3' off of the butt end and buck it to ~12' such as I did on this log.  LINK

The rest of the log is junk anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

MM why do you cut the butt ends off?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

To reduce the possibility of metal plus get rid of the root flairs.  (reduce chainsaw work)  Since I am only going to get one 12' log anyway, saw the best and leave the rest.  A 12' X 36" log is already exceeding my loader weight limit by 1K lbs.  Those too heavy logs are also a pain to turn.  :-X

Good Cherrybark Red Oaks usually will be 50' plus to the lower limb, but I very seldom see anything like that with the Water Oaks shown here and in my link above.  They are generally 'one log' trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I would go about that log a little different. I would leave the butt end on unless I seen mineral stain indicating metal. I would then go for a couple of logs. 8', 10', or 12' long, or any combination of them. If you are reaching the capacity of your mill, weight wise, then make the butt log the shorter one. I do have the advantage of lots of experience in turning over weight logs because of all the 40' timbers I used to make.  I agree that this water oak might be more trouble than it is worth as they tend to produce poorer lumber. Especially when you get up to the larger knots.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I agree that if you can get two 8's etc, then go for it but based on the picture plus the dimensions that Brandi PM'ed me before she posted this topic, I would buck off 3' and try to make a 12'.

Each log is an individual and will generally tell you how it wants to be sawed.  Here is a 43" butt log that I only squared up:  LINK

Pepe_Silvia

I'm with barbender, I don't think it's 46".   I measured the handle on my similar leaf rake and it was 44".

If you get the impression she's willing to pay for it I could drive down from Plano and cut it.  I've got an LT15Wide.  I'll shoot you a PM after I get done posting this.

If she's like the vast majority of my customers she'll just want it flatsawn into slabs.

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2021, 09:25:15 AMEach log is an individual and will generally tell you how it wants to be sawed.  Here is a 43" butt log that I only squared up:  LINK
I agree one needs to listen to the log especially big uns.  But more and more I get tired of what I am hearing from them.  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

charles mann

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on October 13, 2021, 11:20:58 AM
If she's like the vast majority of my customers she'll just want it flatsawn into slabs.
When i spoke with her, she didnt know what she wanted to do. She said "i want it cut up", which i asked if that meant into rounds/cookies, slabs or dimensional lumber and she said, "i dont know, i just want it cut up"
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

btulloh

That means rounds to me. Sounds like more conversation is needed. Cut up to get it out of the yard?  Cut up to burn herself?  Sawed up for lumber or slabs?  She just needs a little handholding. Probably a very nice woman without a lot of logging experience. 
HM126

charles mann

Quote from: btulloh on October 13, 2021, 05:26:20 PM
That means rounds to me. Sounds like more conversation is needed. Cut up to get it out of the yard?  Cut up to burn herself?  Sawed up for lumber or slabs?  She just needs a little handholding. Probably a very nice woman without a lot of logging experience.
I went over that with her and she still didnt know. I recommended 2 places with saws capable of handling that big of a tree and that offered pick up services. She also didnt know size or lengths of the bucked logs, just know the logs were as big as in the pic. She also sounded like she didnt have time to talk about what her end goal for the wood was except "maybe furniture, but i dont really know". A lot of i dont knows. I even offered to drive down to talk more a few days after i got hm from work, which is today, and she didnt seem interested. All she knew was she wanted it cut up. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

btulloh

Well that's a puzzle for sure. Makes it pretty hard to help I reckon. 
HM126

TimW

She is a handful.  She didn't want to email, just text.  I prefer email.  I texted her that I would come look at it after I get the sawmill fixed.  I am still having rpm fluctuations.  Gonna change the line with the sqeeze bulb on it and leave the squeeze bulb off.
                          hugs,  Brandi

Old Greenhorn

I'm certainly no expert, but I have had a few interactions that go like this one seems to be going. First, I don't believe that log is anywhere near 48" diameter unless the rake in the photo has a 5' handle on it. Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else. I would have dropped this 'potential client' about 4 text messages back. She has no idea what she wants, but when it comes to the cost, I bet she has a pretty good idea of how little she expects to pay. But that's just my opinion. Have you thrown her any numbers yet? If not, give her a high/low range and see what she says, assuming you might carry this further for the entertainment value. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

fluidpowerpro

Reminds me of the lyrics to an old polka. I think it went: "I dont want her, you can have her, she's too wide for me, she's too wide for me".
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

TimW

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 13, 2021, 11:45:15 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but I have had a few interactions that go like this one seems to be going. First, I don't believe that log is anywhere near 48" diameter unless the rake in the photo has a 5' handle on it. Second, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else. I would have dropped this 'potential client' about 4 text messages back. She has no idea what she wants, but when it comes to the cost, I bet she has a pretty good idea of how little she expects to pay. But that's just my opinion. Have you thrown her any numbers yet? If not, give her a high/low range and see what she says, assuming you might carry this further for the entertainment value. ;D
I don't need the log.  I had told her on the first call she needed to bring it to me to saw it.  Only thing I have promised or told her is I will come look at it when I finally fix my fuel problem.  If she is as difficult in person as on the phone..................It's a firm NO from me.  I don't know what the size really is.  She told me on the phone and I gather some redneck told her the size after he cut it down.  He probably didn't even have a tape measure.
                   hugs,  Brandi

Thank You Sponsors!