iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too wide for me

Started by TimW, October 08, 2021, 05:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

It looks like a good one to just forget about.
Too many irons in the fire

VB-Milling

Quote from: barbender on October 14, 2021, 01:17:52 AM
It looks like a good one to just forget about.

^this

People like this exist in all types of industries that provide services from lawn care to internet provider.  From the sound of things already, no matter what level of hand holding or quality service you provide, she'll never be happy.  Whatever is suggested, the end product will be wrong.

Seeing that she has no idea what she's going to do with the wood, she's no woodworker and doesn't have a close relationship with any.  My guess is, someone casually suggested the lumber market, top dollar, you could probably sell that, yada yada yada.
HM126

Magicman

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 13, 2021, 11:45:15 PMSecond, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else.
The log is Water Oak which is in the Red Oak family.  The heartwood will be grayer than our Cherrybark Oak.

Since it is a 'yard' tree I would not saw the bottom ~3' nor any of the forkey top.  It looks like about 12' of good log and would make plenty of very nice lumber.

Sawing a very similar log:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Bindian on October 14, 2021, 12:26:21 AM

hugs,  Brandi
Well you are going a big step further than I would by driving out there. I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I get the feeling we are watching a slow motion train wreck and we pretty much know how it will turn out. I do hope I'm wrong.
 Keep us in the loop. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Brad_bb

Well if she doesn't have a place to air dry it, and the ability to move it later, it's kind of a moot point.  If she does, great.  If not, firewood.  And you really need to have a purpose before cutting.  Either slabs or quartersawn from the butt log if it's good enough.  The good quality is that the log is big dia., which is why I'd say slabs or quartersawn.  I would rather cut smaller logs for flatsawn boards if that's the goal.  If someone knew the market there, they could tell us if it's worth having it sawn into slabs or slabs and qsawn and if they could sell it Green and be ahead?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Pepe_Silvia

Quote from: Magicman on October 14, 2021, 07:53:14 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 13, 2021, 11:45:15 PMSecond, that doesn't look like RO to me, it could be, but sure doesn't look it. I am looking a the ripples that run down the length and thinking it's something else.
The log is Water Oak which is in the Red Oak family.  The heartwood will be grayer than our Cherrybark Oak.

Since it is a 'yard' tree I would not saw the bottom ~3' nor any of the forkey top.  It looks like about 12' of good log and would make plenty of very nice lumber.

Sawing a very similar log:  LINK
What do you see that makes you think Water Oak?  Hoping to learn something...  I had it pegged as a Shumard Red Oak, primarily because of how prolific they are around here compared to Water Oak.  
Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

WDH

Shumard oak bark is generally more deeply fissured and has wider more prominent silver streaks.  Water oak bark is usually tighter and not deeply fissured, and if it has silver streaks, they are thinner and not as prominent.  So, if you had to bet, the bark is more typical of water oak which is very common and prolific in that part of the world.  It is not out of the question that it is shumard, but the best money is on water oak.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

TimW

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 14, 2021, 08:51:30 AM
Quote from: Bindian on October 14, 2021, 12:26:21 AM

hugs,  Brandi
Well you are going a big step further than I would by driving out there. I wish you the best of luck, I really do. But I get the feeling we are watching a slow motion train wreck and we pretty much know how it will turn out. I do hope I'm wrong.
Keep us in the loop. popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley
It's only about a 15 mile drive. I'll pick a nice day.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Satamax

If it was anywhere near me, i wouldn't mind!  :D

I think what i like is cherrybark oak. The guy told me it was red oak. But the branch bark looked like carpinius. I love the banana smell when splitting. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

burdman_22

If I was closer I'd have a go at it. Here are a couple pictures of a red oak my dad and I started milling this past weekend. (people make better references than rakes...my dad is 5'8 )

TimW

I'm going to look at it this afternoon.  I am thinking it is moot, because to get it, my tractor will rut up her yard and mentioned something about getting it moved before our winter rains.
Wish me luck, I will need it.
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

It was a rain out.  I thought the front would come through faster and it stalled over her house and half way to her house.  I turned around after 11 miles.

I am thinking now I really want these logs, as they will go straight onto the mill for slabs.  I have decided to diversify and deal with more hardwood customers.  I have found they are a little harder to deal with.

But with no income other than the mill and my retirement account, I need more $$$ contribution from the mill.  What with the economy the way some people ran it into the ground.
hugs,  Brandi

VB-Milling

Hopefully it turns out ok.  Good luck on your next trip
HM126

metalspinner

I think that stalled out weather front was a message from a higher place? 

Please remember it's just a yard tree red oak. They are everywhere. If I was going to look at it, the conditions would be - "I'll haul it out of here free." Anything other than that and I would wish her a good day. 

I had a red oak tree in my own backyard growing right next to my lumber piles. It was 42" DBH. It died and I had a tree service come in, take it down, and haul it off. I didn't want to deal with another red oak log. They are everywhere. 

One about as big as mine fell in the front yard just two blocks down from me and took out powered to the whole neighborhood. Would be an easy pickup. I've been driving by it for almost 12 months now. Red oaks are everywhere. And unfortunately, they are dying because of these past several years of drought and the stress of being a yard tree. 
This  particular one, a fella has been chipping away at it with an Alaskan mill. He has worked his way down to the butt log. But it's been a looo g time since he's been back. I'm wondering if he lost interest??
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TimW

Quote from: metalspinner on November 03, 2021, 05:42:50 PM

Please remember it's just a yard tree red oak. They are everywhere. If I was going to look at it, the conditions would be - "I'll haul it out of here free." Anything other than that and I would wish her a good day.

I had a red oak tree in my own backyard growing right next to my lumber piles. It was 42" DBH. It died and I had a tree service come in, take it down, and haul it off. I didn't want to deal with another red oak log. They are everywhere.

One about as big as mine fell in the front yard just two blocks down from me and took out powered to the whole neighborhood. Would be an easy pickup. I've been driving by it for almost 12 months now. Red oaks are everywhere. And unfortunately, they are dying because of these past several years of drought and the stress of being a yard tree.
This  particular one, a fella has been chipping away at it with an Alaskan mill. He has worked his way down to the butt log. But it's been a looo g time since he's been back. I'm wondering if he lost interest??
I've told her I only will haul it off for her.  At this point, she just wants it out of her yard.  I told her to let folks cut it up for firewood.  She replied all the limbs have been cut off for firewood.  Guess she doesn't realize tree trunks can be cutup into firewood.  I gather if I don't get it, it will be drug out to her pasture and left to rot.

Maryville, Tenn.?  I flew there once to repair a tie down on a Bell 206L.  Stupid pilot forgot to untie the tiedown on the other side and almost flipped the bird over.
           hugs,  Brandi
hugs,  Brandi

charles mann

Quote from: Bindian on November 03, 2021, 06:40:22 PM

I've told her I only will haul it off for her.  At this point, she just wants it out of her yard.  I told her to let folks cut it up for firewood.  She replied all the limbs have been cut off for firewood.  Guess she doesn't realize tree trunks can be cutup into firewood.  I gather if I don't get it, it will be drug out to her pasture and left to rot.

Maryville, Tenn.?  I flew there once to repair a tie down on a Bell 206L.  Stupid pilot forgot to untie the tiedown on the other side and almost flipped the bird over.
          hugs,  Brandi
hugs,  Brandi
That dynamic roll over sure will tear a heli up fast and in a hurry. Same for ground resonance. I had about 5hrs in a S-269, touched down a lil to hard and the instructor immediately yanked the up stick to get us out of gnd resonance. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

TimW

Quote from: charles mann on November 03, 2021, 07:32:42 PM
Quote from: Bindian on November 03, 2021, 06:40:22 PM

hugs,  Brandi
hugs,  Brandi
That dynamic roll over sure will tear a heli up fast and in a hurry. Same for ground resonance. I had about 5hrs in a S-269, touched down a lil to hard and the instructor immediately yanked the up stick to get us out of gnd resonance.
Ah, 3 bladed helicopters.  Never touched one until Heliflight starting working on customer's Twin Dauphins.  Can't say I like them either.  Give me a Bell or even (gasp) an Sikorsky S-76.

Wait, I remember it correctly now.  The Maryville chopper had a chip light illuminate and the pilot sit it down safely.  The guys trucking it back to the hangar secured it wrong and the belly tie down got ripped out.
 It was an Air Logistics L model that had one tie down left secured on takeoff.  It went over on her side and into the safety net (fence) on the rig.  The pilot told his passenger to untie his side and the guy didn't hear him.  That chopper came back to shore on a supply boat. Ah, the good old times.  I loved rebuilding helicopters! 8)
hugs,  Brandi

WDH

There are also a whack of big nasty water oak yard trees around here that people offer me, both on the stump and on the ground.  I pass on them.  

LeeB

Quote from: Bindian on November 03, 2021, 10:34:34 PMIt went over on her side and into the safety net (fence) on the rig.

Was it actually salvageable after that? How did they get the smell out of it?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

TimW

Quote from: LeeB on November 04, 2021, 10:58:02 AM
Quote from: Bindian on November 03, 2021, 10:34:34 PMIt went over on her side and into the safety net (fence) on the rig.

Was it actually salvageable after that? How did they get the smell out of it?
Oh yeah.  I rebuilt it, then off to the paint shop it went.  It is not a fast process.  It would take a month or two for me to rebuild.  Depended on how bad the damage and how much corrosion she had.   They all had corrosion.  They were supposed to get a fresh water rinse off every night at the field bases along the coast.
Back in the early 80s, we would rebuild to new when company's bean counters said no new capital equipment purchases.  I remember rebuilding a Bell 206 for Mobil Oil for that exact reason.
Here is a photo replacing the aft tub, aka, fuel cell.  The helicopter is bolted up in the rebuild fixture. The fuel was contained in a rubber bladder inside the tub.

The worst smells I found were when the pilots flew back open buckets of shrimp on the floor in back.  The shrimpy salt water would get into the floor panel (we called it the forward tub).  It was aluminum honeycomb and it would be a stinky, fine, corroded powder when I cut them open to repair them.
hugs,  Brandi

handhewn

Two loads of cants (24"x16"x9')  that had to be cut down in a deep, rough canyon. Too big a log wants to turn the truck over backwards, even with 4 people on the front bumper. These are beetle killed trees too nice to leave to rot. These cants were sawn to produce the book matched ceilings in my cabin.

TimW

Nice ceiling.  Wow oh wow would I would like to have that truck! Is it a Power Wagon?
hugs,  Brandi

TimW

Between when the photo of the log was taken and today..................someone cut it up into 5 foot long chunks.  I told her I couldn't use them, as they were cut too short.  She didn't understand (me cutting them for slabs), that 5 feet was too short.  I told her I cut them at 7.5 feet for tables, bars, or mantles.  

Three of them chunks could fit my mill.  It was the fork that was 48 or more inches.  But it was narrow enough to turn upside and trim it down.  The lowest piece was cut about 4 foot long and MM was right............it had metal sticking out.  About 1/2" wide strap sticking out.

Now they have to try dragging them with a 20hp Kubota.  Looked more like a lawn tractor than a log pulling beast.
hugs,  Brandi

handhewn

Truck is a 1943 1 1/2 ton Chev. I'm just finishing up a rare three axle open cab power wagon (WC62). If you like that kind of truck, look in my photos album. These trucks bring some nice wood out of very rough lava terrain bordering the ISHI wilderness. Took years to dynamite my way down into those canyons. Untouched forest down there but beetles are killing off my Yellow Pine. Measured one a few days ago, 14' 6" circ. ABH. To nice to waste but hard to get out. Need to whittle them down first.

Thank You Sponsors!