iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to upgrade? Value of LT40

Started by nopoint, November 08, 2021, 12:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopoint

Got this wild idea the other day, maybe I should sell my LT40 and order a new mill. Little explanation. My mill has the cat diesel, lots of hours have to check think about 11,000. Has lived inside it's whole life. Was converted to air log handling by original owner (amish). Makes the mill not very portable, air cylinders hang kind of low. Probably could be modified to be easier to transport. I have axle etc. I would like to be able to go portable from time to time. Strictly a hobby and of late have not been able to saw in a few months due to other commitments. Guess main question what would a mill like this bring in this current crazy shortage market???? Then the question I have to ask myself, can I be without a mill for the extended time it will take to get a new one... Gotta remember it's just a hobby, and I went for years without one. 

GAB

I was reading this morning that lumber prices are starting to climb again.  That would be in your favor.
Is there someone close by that custom could saw for you if you were in dire need?
Don't bother calling MM as I believe you are out of his 50 mile range.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

nopoint

Lots of mills in the area. Everyone seems pretty busy, but can get sawing done if not in a hurry. One guy carries a big inventory, generally just buy lumber from him if I need something that I don't have logs for. 

GAB

Quote from: nopoint on November 08, 2021, 12:09:27 PMMy mill has the cat diesel, lots of hours have to check think about 11,000. 
nopoint:
I'd like to know what engine you have and how much maintenance (not counting oil changes and filters) it has needed so far in its life.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

nopoint

I bought the mill with 10,000 or so hours on it from a neighbor. I am told most of the repairs have been electrical in nature, Solenoids etc. although the former owner is amish and might be a bit biased. I do know that they had to replace the radiator, although I believe that was due to a board kicking up and puncturing it. I'd have to go out and look at the actual model. 3 cylinder Cat.... 

Thank You Sponsors!