iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HVAC pro--no

Started by Al_Smith, November 09, 2021, 05:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I suppose over the years I've had a hand in at least a dozen older style heating systems but this one was a first for me .95 percent efficiency ,2" PVC exhaust .Seems odd to me .Dang thing needs to have a drain line also odd . ??? They had the blower speed set too slow ,got that done .
I got it finally .Took more time to figure out how to program the super duper high tech thermostat than it did to run the gas line I think .Got the AC unit set outside ,need to run the lines ,power etc . I'll have it done  before the snow falls . :)

moosehunter

My Nuvian is like that. Wall mounted. Domestic hot water and radiant in a box slightly bigger than a bread box. 2" pvc intake and exhaust. Sips propane. I'm pretty happy with it.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

hedgerow

Its been around twenty years ago when I installed the first 90 plus furnace. When they first came into our area the cost between a 80 percent and a 90 plus was a bunch. But in a old house that was going to need a chimmey liner the 90 plus was the way to go. I will bet its been ten years now since I have put a 80 percent in. Mostly install 90 plus around here. The 90 plus's are just good solid furnaces. 

Al_Smith

The 95 price as compared to a 96 was significant .Same as the AC between a 13 seer and a 14 seer .I think they are all made in Mexico and the thermostats  in China  .This unit was sold under the  Ducane name which is owned by Lennox .
As far the wiring ,the engineers who draw them up don't have any rhyme nor reason .They just draw them up as they please .I'm used to drawings made under JIC regulations but  these caused me to do some thinking  before I figured them out .To add to  that the instructions  on the Honeywell stat were about as clear as mud .

doc henderson

each bump in seer will supposedly pay for itself in 7 years. of savings.  My grandparents ac ran for 40 years.  now not made to last that long.  every window unit I bought for my shop, lasted 3 years, and a compressor cost as much as a whole unit.  24 k BTUs, 600 bucks.  now I have a hand me down ac.  heat is in the floor with a boiler in the basement.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

This high tech son of a brisket is driving me nuts .Now I get a shut down on " pressure switch opened 6 times per heating cycle " .fault .It seems Ducane which is part of Lennox uses a rather high switch diff. pressure with a .9 WC rating .Higher than most .Something is amiss here but I don't know exactly what .
I don't have a manometer but I do have several diff pressure gauges in my junk some place to check .It would seem odd to me because this thing is brand new .Might be plugged hoses .Could be a build up of condensate water except I have a pretty good drain system with plenty of fall .The intake air  is only about 6 feet long and inside . The exhaust vent 2" is only about 8 feet with one 45 degree of offset straight up .
I did have to jump the circ fan up one notch because the temp was up to
 140 degrees which is now 115 .The duct work was sized for a 5 ton heat pump with a 3/4 HP fan and this thing is a 1/2 HP fan with a little bit over half of the larger system it replaced .

Greenie

I have a Monitor KWH124 kerosene fired on demand water heater I installed in 1994. Other than a heat exchanger, a couple of nozzles and the flow switch that turns it on and off it (replaced)  runs fine. It's been obsolete for 20 plus years and parts are very scarce. It started acting up a few years ago so just to be safe I bought a Toyotomi on demand water heater than runs on #1 or #2. It sits unused in a box for me to install when the Monitor fails.
The way prices are going up that new Toyotomi I purchased for $2,000 is like money in the bank.

Al_Smith

Up date on that thing I've been tinkering with .It seems I neglected to set the furnace level .As such the condensate built up to one side which caused the pressure switch to open because it sensed low combustion air flow .Simple enough, leveled it up and used the cross grain discharge as another vent source .Now I had to figure that problem out without any instructions except the laws of physics which should have been mentioned in the installation instructions .At any rate  the unit works well  . Now to pipe and wire in the outside compressor unit before the snow flies I'll be good to go .In the mean time, time to get the fire wood around .

Thank You Sponsors!