Sayings and Expressions

Started by WV Sawmiller, November 11, 2021, 11:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

He had a brain fart.   He did it wrong
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jimbarry

'ow's ya gittin' on? - How are you?

You got me drove! - You're driving me crazy.

Wicked! - Nice!

What odds. - Don't care.

No odds. - Doesn't matter.

Are you stunned or wah? - Are you stupid or what?

Yes b'y! - Really!

Sook. (Look at that sooky baby.) - A whiny person.

Stog'er tight! - [STAHger tight] - Fill 'er up!

How was your meal? 
Stogged full! - Full belly!

Have you had enough to eat?
I'm full to the gunnels. - I've had enough. (Gunnel being the top edge of the punt, skiff or dory (small boat). Dory used by one or more people to assist in pulling cod out of fish traps. When filled completely, it was full to the gunnels.)

jimbarry

sensuous - 'Since you is' up, grab me a beer.

Don P

Tell me again why you are leaving me  :D

I'd rather go to your funeral any day than you go to mine... great idea, you first.

I'm not saying she's cold but when she opens her mouth a light comes on ...frigidaire woman

It's sure missing a good opportunity to rain... I better go cover the piles

We got three forms of communication here, telephone, telegraph, tell Bonnie

We don't abide her much, she carries the news... Bonnie is bad to gossip

You better eat that or it'll go to the bad... last call before it goes the the chickens.

Well I 'low (allow)... verily verily I say unto you.

Southside

Hold my beer.

Watch this.

Both famous last words.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

jimbarry

Look - Listen to me.  
"Now look, ... " - "Now, listen..."

Southside

Not far now.
We are almost there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

"never pass up the chance to keep your mouth shut"--  J.R. Ewing, Dallas TV program.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

wisconsitom

"Six of one, half a dozen of the other".......but you guys knew I was going to say that lol.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Texas Ranger

some of y'all will remember this one:  Mox nichs.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

JJ

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on November 17, 2021, 09:47:56 PM"Slick as a whistle" - I have no idea where this one came from

"Clean as a whistle" is from medieval times when a lord would behead somebody with a sword like a claymore.  When done right the sword makes a whistling sound instead of a solid 'thunk!'

JJ

barbender

Southside, for a true measure of inflation we ought to check with the ol' goat and see what the SGU is at in today's money. It might be $429.75 now 😁
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

"Two heads are better than one - even if one is a goat head."

"To dog (tie) something down."

"Purt near done" - almost finished

"Water in the gas" - could be diarrhea.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

"Shoot the closest Indian first" - not PC but basically handle the problems in turn as they come.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Batten down the hatches it's going to get rough!

The beatings will continue until morale improves 

Boss spelled backwards is DOUBLE SOB

My wife says she needs two roosters.  I told her the hens don't need two roosters.  She said, "They do too! Especially if one doesn't say home."  I promptly quit my job and found one where I didn't travel so much. 

Did you catch those fish?  No, I talked them into giving up.

PUDS pointless ups and downs
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

That boy is so dumb he doesn't have two brain cells to rub together 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

"Just a hop, skip and a jump from here" - pretty close.
Quote from: barbender on November 18, 2021, 10:22:19 AM
Southside, for a true measure of inflation we ought to check with the ol' goat and see what the SGU is at in today's money. It might be $429.75 now 😁
I am pretty sure an SGU is a fixed unit of currency. The price of an item may now cost more SGUs but the value remains fixed.
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Man you've got the heart of a red bug!  No very sympathetic 

Cuter than a bug's ear

Rough as cob.  A rough person. 

Thicker than pea soup.  Foggy

I'm spread too thin.  Too much to do

I'm not quite in the middle of nowhere but I'm pretty sure I can see it from here. 

Sweating bullets. Nervous 

Hey how you doing?  "I feel like I've been jerked through a knot hole."  Not doing too good

Hey how you doing?  "If I get any better there will be two of me". Doing very well

Hey how you doing? "Fine as frogs' hair!"

Hey Blister!  
Why you calling me Blister?
You show up when the work is about done.  

To have the "epizootie" or the "epizootics" is to have any illness with flu-like symptoms 

Can't polish a turd

Don P

Sure you can, you just gotta pick it up by the clean end first.

WV Sawmiller

Grinning like a mule eating briers - generally happy and content.

Howard Green

SawyerTed

I had to ask someone to leave the office a few weeks ago and bit my tongue before I said, "Don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya!"

"She doesn't realize a Medicare card and a mini-skirt don't go on the same woman."  

"The apple didn't fall far from the tree."

"She's crazier than March hair!"

"He thinks alot of himself"

"All hat and no cattle"

We had a small get together with my daughter-in-law's parents on Saturday.  I walked in on some sort of exchange among them, "I felt like I walked into the middle of a play but didn't know my lines."

I caught myself using this one in another thread..... "The juice isn't worth the squeeze".

Dog gone it Howard! Now you have me like "floundering around" like a "fish out of water" thinking about whether I am using a colloquial expression or saying.  It is getting so bad "I'm at a loss for words." :D (Hardly  :D)

Chuck White

"All that meat and no taters"   (she's all there except for brains)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Okay - here are two of my pet peeves!

"Over and out" and "Lock and load." Both are used by military wannabees or such and when you understand you realize how wrong they are.

In proper military radio etiquette "Over" basically means "my transmission is over and I am standing by waiting for your response" while "Out " means, "my transmission is complete and I am signing off". Basically Goodbye, masalama siddiq, kiss my grits, I'm done. So you would never say "I am waiting for your reply" then immediately say "I am signing out" without waiting for the response you just said you are expecting. It would be one or the other - Over or Out.

Lock and load refers to loading your rifle but if you have locked the bolt, you can't then load a round in the chamber so the proper sequence would be "Load and Lock."

"Don't call him a cowboy till you've seen him ride" - from the song. Verify qualifications and don't just accept a new guy based on how he dresses or what he claims till you see him do what he says he can.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!