iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

heating oil delivery

Started by sprucebunny, November 11, 2021, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

The fill pipe has been in the same place for 21 years. The upright ( but short ) freezer has been in front of it for 12 or more years. Now, the company I've used for all those years can't deliver oil because the five foot tall guy they hired might not be able to reach it. 

I'm not kidding !!! I've always left a step ladder in front of the freezer to make it easier but now a delivery guy can't climb 2 steps up a ladder ( well...maybe more if you're only 5 feet tall...) because it's a liability.

So I either have to remodel or switch oil companies which is way easier than remodelling !! But it amazes me that things that were easy and/or normal for years are now full of liability. And what if there is some new rule about how high a fill point can be ? 275 gallon tanks are are a particular height; will upright ones be outlawed to accomodate short delivery guys ???

I'm 5'6" and I've poured 5 gallon cans in it more than once without dying.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

All kinds of craziness since the New Millennium. Insurance will cancel you up this way for a 10 year old tank. That rule hit us pretty much 20 years ago.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Southside

We have become quite pathetic and the pace is accelerating.

Beginning of the week a guy was telling me who the stupid kid was that blocked one of my gates last week, I almost got red paint on my disc harrow as a result which would have been awful, anyway, he says "He is only 18, bla, bla, bla". At 18 I was handed a map and dropped off in Kuwait with instructions to head north.  

Can't imagine what 10 more years will bring. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

I delivered heating oil and fuelled up fishing boats one winter 30 years ago (one winter was enough for me), I still can feel myself hitting the frozen ground as the ladder rung gave way, I ended up on the ground with my legs still stuck in the third ladder rung.

Question... is your fill pipe inside or your freezer outside?

sprucebunny

The freezer is outside in a covered garage space that's open at one end.

The ladder is fiberglass and aluminum. I wouldn't use or provide a wooden ladder ! They are coming to "inspect" it tomorrow.

You would think that if it was a problem, one of the previous delivery men would have said something.

newoodguy78

The "softness"(kindest word that came to mind) of the up and coming workforce as a whole is flat out disturbing.
If he's that short did you ask him how he even gets in the truck or does he pole vault through the window? ;D

moodnacreek

The other day a truck came with the new drive pully: 7 C x 11" pd that weighs about 50 lbs.  They had it strapped to a pallet, that pully is 11" dia by the way. The driver wanted the forklift, no problem.  I am 72 and my back is killing me but I picked it up against my belly and walked away.  What is this country coming to?  So far and for a long time I haul, at night, all my liquid fuel.  Would you like to here about the propane delivery problems?      God help those who can't do it themselves .

newoodguy78

We get trucks in here all the time wanting packages unloaded with the forks. 9 out of 10 times it's faster and easier to pick it off by hand.

SwampDonkey

Not the kind of whimps that will hand carry and pile 100 lb jute bags of spuds onto trucks, then pile over onto rail cars I suspect. And do it all day??  :D

I know guys that have hauled fuel for over 30 years. It pays the bills.

I've had a couple transport trucks making home delivery here in the last 3 years. Items on pallets, nothing more than 50 lbs, they at least came with their own pallet lift. These were large dimension items that you're not going to wrap your arms around to lift, in those cases I have to lean in their favour. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

In their minds, the word "customer" has changed from someone you want to have and you need into someone who's dependent and needs you. 

It's big of them to come to inspect a system you've used for 20 years. 

Say when

Tacotodd

Quote from: Roxie on November 12, 2021, 05:43:39 AM

It's big of them to come to inspect a system you've used for 20 years.
And very ridiculous as well !
Trying harder everyday.

peakbagger

I hate to inject reality into the discussion but frequently these rules are tied to insurance and workmans comp. Osha is pretty clear When climbing a ladder 3 point contact is required (usually inferred to be two feet and one hand) but in the act of climbing, for some period of time a foot is in travel and thus two hands are needed. Thus carrying anything in one's hands while going up a ladder is citable by OSHA. So if a ladder is needed to haul the hose over the freezer then an employer subject to OSHA could decide that climbing ladders with an oil hose is not acceptable. The ladder supplied may be premium quality but even the best ladder can be dangerous in icy conditions. Its lot easier to tell the employees to not use a ladder at all then to leave it to their judgement. Workmans comp may also weigh in. The problem is that the employee is probably tempted to climb the ladder and yank on the hose and that exposes an employee to a fall. In the past many heating oil companies were small family companies with a few employees and they took their chances and hoped that an accident didnt shut them down but those family companies are rapidly going corporate. Large corporations and hedge funds are starting to buy home heating oil firms and with that comes loss prevention that gets paranoid about losses. 

Sure a private individual can do all sorts of stupid things and get away with it and employees in the past were expected to take risks with their bodies routinely in the past and some employers may still ultimately try to get away with it but the odds stack up that at some point it starts costing the employer more for insurance for ignoring the rules. I review contractor bids on occasion and one key thing is EMR rates which every contractor subject to OSHA record keeping rules has hanging around their neck after three years. EMR is Experience Modifier Rate and is multiplier for workmans comp rates which are tied to hours worked and risk category. A contractor with more than average accidents per manhour worked will have an EMR over 1, a safe contractor will be less than 1. When a job is labor intensive, the contractor with the high EMR just cant make a buck as they are paying far more for workman's comp while a firm with a low EMR can bid lower.

Resonator

I've heard horror stories of customers switching from oil to gas, and the heating oil company not getting the message. Truck driver ran the hose into a pipe outside running down into the basement, and pumped in a few hundred gallons where the tank USED TO BE. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sprucebunny

I understand your point, Peakbagger and this company was taken over by something bigger several years ago.

I was thinking today that a 5 foot tall person was likely to be out on workman's comp pretty quick because Many fill points are going to be over his head and tough on the shoulders. There are no NFPA rules about how high the fill point has to be. When you put an upright tank on legs and finish the 2" piping it's likely to be 62" high like mine.

The freezer makes it real easy to fill with 5 gallon cans so  tomorrow I'll put a couple in and shop for more firewood. 

The manager couldn't come look at it today because it's raining ::)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Resonator on November 12, 2021, 12:42:13 PM
I've heard horror stories of customers switching from oil to gas, and the heating oil company not getting the message. Truck driver ran the hose into a pipe outside running down into the basement, and pumped in a few hundred gallons where the tank USED TO BE. :o
It shouldn't really happen these day, the system detects such things when pumping stove oil. I've had them shut down too early when pumping and only fill half a tank. Spider webs in the intake or not a good seal with the pipe.
What used to happen was the pipes were sometimes PVC plumbers pipes, with plumbers glue, if your lucky, and none in some cases. The pipe would disconnect inside at an elbow and you continue pouring and send diesel onto the floor. Without you knowing until 200 or 250 gallons flowed in, then you had a suspicion something flew apart. Too late. Been improvements to the system since then.

dougtrr2

Is building a small set of steps an option?

Doug in SW IA

sprucebunny

OSHA mandated run and rise, top landing and safety rails would make a set of stairs WAY too big. It would severely limit the use of the space.

I've looked at it hard and decided that I can reorganize the "stuff" and move the freezer over 2 feet. Then I could build a platform ( so I can still reach to pour in 5 gallon cans) and build some steps that would slide under the platform when not needed. 

I won't be calling the same company for oil. They have ticked me off by not bothering to call and say there was a problem and not coming to look at what They now deem to be a problem. I've never been on any auto deliver thing so I call when I need it. The guy asked if I was low....well...yeah, that's why I called  ::)

thecfarm

Don't know what others are either.
I work at a hardware store, carry 50# is normal. Than people park 50 feet away and expect me to carry it. As they say, It's only 50 feet. Than I say, I do this all day long, you drive over here, unless you want to carry it? 
Than they drive over.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Well Sprucebunny if it's any comfort I'm ticked off for you too. 
Say when

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on November 13, 2021, 05:12:40 PM
Don't know what others are either.
I work at a hardware store, carry 50# is normal. Than people park 50 feet away and expect me to carry it. As they say, It's only 50 feet. Than I say, I do this all day long, you drive over here, unless you want to carry it?
Than they drive over.  ::)
I here ya. :D Reminds me of what went on here with potatoes. Depending on time of year and how full the potato shed was, which the pile of spuds could be 130 feet from the entry door. Some old fart would roll in and want a 50 lb bag of taters for instance. Well dad would hand select them potatoes, carry them 130 feet and ask $5.00. Meanwhile they "might" have the trunk open, mostly not, and want to talk a good 10 minutes while dad is holding the bag for them to open a trunk or door. :D We used to ask dad once in awhile if they expected him to go unload it and cook them to? :D :D 
Gotta see it from both sides. ;) ;D

Bruno of NH

The young can't think anymore. 
FedEx dropped a box of new bands Friday night while raining. Under the eaves of the shed , right in front of the opening . You can't make this stuff up.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Paul_H

A man I worked with had lost his right leg at the hip in a logging accident the next valley over from where we were working while spooling the lines on a grapple yarder. He got pulled in and went around the drum and there is really no room for a person. He was around 50 years old then and recovery was slow.
Around 10 years later he came and ran our hydraulic log loader. He got out of the truck every morning with his lunch and his crutches, set everything on the track and swung himself up onto the track then crawled to the ladder and up onto the deck then up a couple of stairs into the cab and loaded trucks and swung logs all day. He could have stayed at home and collected comp the rest of his life but enjoyed logging.

On the other end of the spectrum a guy I went to school with never really liked working at at all and ended up working for his BIL who owned a bulk plant driving fuel deliveries. I was in my early 20's then and had a mobile equipment steam cleaning business during winter when the logging was shut down for snow. I got a call one day to meet the owner of a tug boat down at the harbour. It seemed our friend had gone down to fill the tug with diesel and a day or two later when the tug was under way down the sound with a boom of logs they were in the habit of boiling up some water for tea. Well when they turned on the water tap ,diesel came out. They wondered if I could flush it and the answer was sorry, no.
He managed to keep his delivery job but lost it a short while later when he forgot to reel in the fuel hose and drove down the highway and through town with the hose and nozzle skipping along behind.

Uffda! :D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

Or another high light.
I have a 50# bag of grain on my shoulder and they open the truck and say, Oh wait, I have to move the groceries.
I wait by the door and make sure they are all ready. But some customers will say, all set, and than they look in the truck and start moving groceries. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

I got the freezer moved. Had to use a 4 foot extension cord.... doesn't everyone carry one of those ??? Darn useful in my life  :D

Now the mini driver can use his own darn ladder if they get here before I get a promise from a new company.

Found a fill cap behind the freezer !

Decided I would just build a shelf and keep a 12 volt battery out there so I could use a fuel pump to transfer the oil. I have a bunch of electric pumps from my snowcat rescue days and still have to use one to fill my unregistered plow truck cause the fill line is Not slanted and you can't pour it in cause it's under the flatbed too far .

sprucebunny

I called the company that delivers propane to this house and my old house ( now sold but had them 40 years...) They said they needed to see the oil tank. That's fine. Someone would call to make an appointment for this afternoon. They didn't. I called at 1. Next story is he would be here between 12 and 4. That didn't happen either. Since I was home all day dusting the tank and cleaning up my garage, I know the first company hasn't been here either.

I had called 2 other oil companies. One doesn't deliver out this way and the other isn't taking new customers. Have 2 more companies to call tomorrow ::) Then I'll just buy a couple more cords of wood and hope that lots of it is ash. I do have a large ash tree to take down but it has a lot of rot.

Was outside looking around and a tree had fallen on the electric line. Only about 4" diameter where it lay on the line. Broken 10 feet up. Got that down without much excitement.

Thank You Sponsors!