iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your favorite fighter jet or plane

Started by Bruno of NH, December 02, 2021, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

QuoteThat would be the sr-71 blackbird, never seen one in person, she's a oldie now, but have they made a aircraft faster yet? And it's a spy jet not a fight jet !
Grew up looking at pictures and watching video's of the SR-71 Blackbird, my opinion by far one of the most outrageous planes ever built. No other aircraft could fly at a SUSTAINED Mach 3.2, and at 78,000+ feet. :o

Interesting history the aircraft was designed on paper with a slide rule (long before the computers of today) by a true genius named Kelly Johnson. He also designed the P-38 lightning, one of the most radically different fighter planes of it's day. He had a hand in some 40 different airplane designs for commercial and military purposes during his career. He also was a founding member of "Skunk Works", the secretive program that developed high tech aircraft from the cold war up to the stealth fighter age.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Bruno of NH

Skunk Works has a jet in the works that only makes a dull thud when it breaks the sound barrier.
That's a game changer 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

HemlockKing

The heat friction from the speeds of Mach 3.3 caused the titanium to expand so much that it had to be built loose, on ground it would leak fuel, take off with 1/4 tanks and immediately refuel after getting into flight
A1

customsawyer

I will say that when you are on the ground and a A-10 comes in supporting you, it is a mighty welcome sight. It will at that point become your favorite fixed wing bird. Another is the Apache and Cobra helicopters. Absolutely amazing what those two birds can do when supporting ground troops.  I have also always been impressed with the C-130. The places I have seen that bird land and pick us up is truly impressive, not to mention all the different applications they have for them.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

we have a Cosmosphere Museum here in Hutchinson.  part of the college, but also World renowned.  

Cosmosphere | Hutchinson, Kansas

if we ever have and event here, it is a neat spot to see.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Chuck White

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 02, 2021, 06:10:55 PM
A friend of mine was a command Sgt major at ft drum NY. The a10s would do target practice there and he'd take me out so we could watch. Quite impressive.
My favorite jet is the f-4 phantom seconded by the prop driven A-1 sky raider.
I like the A-1 Sky Raider, I was a crew-chief on an A1 (tail number 555) when I was stationed in Thailand, back in 69-70.
Their primary mission was SAR (Search Air Rescue)!
I saw one come back after a mission with a hole up through the wing that 3 of us on a maintenance stand could stand inside of!
They're tough, and retired!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dougtrr2

My favorites would be the A10 and SR71 and the engineering behind them.
I liked the comment on one of the A10 videos:

"If you hear the Brrrrt, he wasn't aiming at you.

Doug in SW IA

muggs

How about the B-52 and arc light in VN. Also the cobra chopper.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

realzed

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 02, 2021, 03:17:01 PM

I think the absolute coolest fighter plane I've ever seen was either the P51 Mustang, or the old Corsair prop planes.  We occasionally watched them do mock dogfights, and it is amazing to think about being in that kind of gun dogfight.  

I agree on the Corsair - it is in my humble opinion the best and neatest looking aircraft ever made!
All business yet so very unique looking and fast and deadly for it's time..
Both a beauty and a beast all rolled into one!
Ask the Japanese all about "Whistling Death" and what they thought about them.. 

Tacotodd

@realzed "Blacksheep Squadron" TV show as a kid, pappy boyington! I loved that show. OOH RAH! Flying Marines, airborne nightmares to the enemy hehehe!
Trying harder everyday.

Dakota

My favorite is also the SR-71.  As an Air Route Traffic Controller for the FAA, they flew into my air space from time to time.  They always came from the west at 100,000 ft. Plus.  Their altitude was classified, thus not shown on their computer tag.  We never knew how fast they were going because the computer couldn't lock on to them to get the speed.  If we needed to get their actual altitude because there was another one  operating  within one half of the United States, there was a code book available with that information.  We never talked to them, just monitored their flight. When they came from the West, and making a 180 degree turn to go back over the Pacific Ocean, they started their turn as soon as they crossed the coast line.  They were going so fast, they couldn't complete their turn until over  eastern Wyoming.
Dave Rinker

GAB

Does anyone know how many SR-71's were manufactured?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tacotodd

GAB, I don't know.

But I like this one  air_plane
Trying harder everyday.

Resonator

32 SR-71's were built, 12 were lost in accidents, and a few ended up on display or in museums after they were retired. None were ever shot down, standard procedure was for pilots to outrun missiles that were fired at them. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

K-Guy

My favorite for looks has always been the P-38, i think if it had had a redesign(more powerful engines) in 1942 it could of out flown even the P51 but it had great firepower. Right Yamamoto??!!

But as a Canadian, my favorite will always be the Avro Arrow. It never went into serious production because Ike sold PM Diefenbaker a load of BS and sold us that turkey called the Bormac missile. Then all engineers moved to the US and put developments from it into the F-14, F-15, etc
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

GAB

Quote from: Resonator on December 03, 2021, 11:33:50 AM
32 SR-71's were built, 12 were lost in accidents, and a few ended up on display or in museums after they were retired. None were ever shot down, standard procedure was for pilots to outrun missiles that were fired at them. :o
Thanks,
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

I've read about the Arrow @K-Guy .  That would have been a great matter of national pride that got "shot" down even though it apparently would have been a great plane.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

I've heard some aviation experts say that they figured with upgrades it could of been a top fighter into the 90's.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

Have you all heard or read the story of Clint Eastwood crashing in an A-1 Skyraider when he was in the Army.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

HemlockKing

Quote from: Resonator on December 03, 2021, 11:33:50 AM
And to add to that comment only 125 pilots were qualified to fly the SR-71 ever 
A1

Bruno of NH

Quote from: K-Guy on December 03, 2021, 11:41:57 AM
My favorite for looks has always been the P-38, i think if it had had a redesign(more powerful engines) in 1942 it could of out flown even the P51 but it had great firepower. Right Yamamoto??!!

But as a Canadian, my favorite will always be the Avro Arrow. It never went into serious production because Ike sold PM Diefenbaker a load of BS and sold us that turkey called the Bormac missile. Then all engineers moved to the US and put developments from it into the F-14, F-15, etc
It just read up about the Avro Arrow 
Boy Canada dropped the ball bad on the one .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

John357

Woodland Mills HM126

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!