iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log lamp

Started by metalspinner, January 04, 2022, 08:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

On our trip to NOLA last week, we visited the Sazarac House. It's a local distillery and parent company of Buffalo Trace distillery in Kentucky. 

It's a nice facility and newly renovated. My next door neighbor while growing up (we are the same age) was the architect for the project. 
Anyway, this "lamp" caught my eye. 
Flitch cut white oak. The inner pieces have grooves run in them that house the light fixtures. The flitches are separated by some round dowel type hardware. Maybe even some all thread run through the stack?
Looks pretty cool. It's about 12' tall, maybe 20" or so in diameter. 

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

firefighter ontheside

Thats cool.  I just saw something similar to that, but I don't remember where.  It was a stack like that but it was horizontal.  A good way to sell a whole log.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

metalspinner

Here are a couple more lighting fixtures I observed recently. The shadow effect of the natural edges is really cool. These are located in the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Asheville NC. 

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

kantuckid

I'm a fan of Edison lamps. They give off warmth and just enough light to be purposeful. Our great room has a step down from the old living room and I placed a log half vertically at the log ends of the log entry wall at the ends of the step down. Have a tinted brown glass Edison lamp fixture (ebay) at each half log. Timed to come on at dusk, they have a nice ambiance along with safety placement with the step feature. Not been in many brewski or distillery places lately :D

Any lightbulb I like they make illegal, seems to be a government rule in recent years? ::) Incandescents are on the Nono list again, if you haven't heard. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

aigheadish

I'm a fan of neat lighting like this and it certainly sprouts some ideas. Not to mention, if getting into the lighting fixture selling business, the markup for stuff like the above is probably insane, especially with all the LED strips coming out of China that are almost free. I need to keep stuff like this in mind. Thanks for sharing!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Thank You Sponsors!