iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing Vertical Grain Hemlock

Started by Stephen1, September 25, 2022, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I received a call from an old customer. 4 years ago I had sawed for him. He asked If I knew anyone with  resaw equipment, especially nice if It was portable. I had kept the resaw from my 1993 LT40HD when i sold it 4 years ago.  I had only used it a couple of times.
I took my mill and resaw on a 2 hour trip to resaw 7000 bd ft of Vertical Grain Western Hemlock in early August. It was quite a project. The bundles of wood arrived by truck late, the morning I arrived. We set up and then he had 2 students pulling staples that were used to secure the plastic tarps. We ended up there for 1.5 days.  Well since then I have used the resaw 3 more times.
We just did another resaw for them on Friday. This was a very productive day. 6700 bd ft  of Vertical Gran 20' 2x6. it took 4 of us as the wood is so long. 2 to feed to receive.  

I took pictures.

<br
This is the 1st time there back in August
I have added pictures of the inside of their shop. 

and some pictures of the students helping back in August.

last trip we stickered , just to keep the air between as they planned on planing it the next week. this time we just stacked right of the resaw. >
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

moosehunter

All my years in the Forum I have not heard "vertical grain hemlock" before. Or did and forgot what the term means.
Please elaborate.
Nice looking boards!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

KenMac

I believe in this context the term means the same as quarter sawn.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

beenthere

The OP said this is Western hemlock, and that is a valid grade in the WWPA rules.  

Vertical grain (VG) also (Edge grain - EG) (Rift grain) sawn at approx. right angles to the annual growth rings. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stephen1

I did not realise that it is actually in the  WWPA rule books.
 I call the vertical grain lumber the new term for quarter sawn. 
I really like the Vertical Grain look. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Cornerstone

Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Thank You Sponsors!