iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First logs cut

Started by ajkoontz, September 18, 2023, 12:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajkoontz

Technically not the first logs cut, but first cuts with new engine on the mill, and this is only the second time I've ran the mill. Still need to make some carb adjustments to the engine and a whole lotta TLC needed on this old mill (1994 WM LT30). That said, I made a nice pile of spalted (aka rotten) river birch and some nice cedar shorts. River birch sat too long an is not going to be useable, but it was good practice. The cedar is pretty nice. Nothing earthshattering here, just wanted to share my first milling experience here. I'm not very active posting on the forum, but I've done a LOT of reading and learning here so wanted to say thanks for that. I'm sure I'll be posting lots of questions now that I'm actually cutting wood.  

slider

al glenn

caveman

Good looking mill and workspace.  Keep sawing and showing us your progress.
Caveman

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

ajkoontz

Quote from: caveman on September 18, 2023, 09:11:51 PM
Good looking mill and workspace.  Keep sawing and showing us your progress.
That's my driveway/ backyard, which is a great log yard, but my neighbors are going to run me off if I mill too much here. As soon as I get the saw dialed in, I'll be out in the woods sawing. 

jpassardi

Good for you. Sensible way to get into it: if you don't do a lot, no harm - low investment.
If you go heavy you could always upgrade.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

ajkoontz

Quote from: jpassardi on September 19, 2023, 08:03:32 PM
Good for you. Sensible way to get into it: if you don't do a lot, no harm - low investment.
If you go heavy you could always upgrade.
That's the thought, but my cheapness has a way of getting expensive really quick. But yeah, I'm focused on getting the mill running smooth as it sits, then saw lumber, then fix/ make upgrades as I go.

thecfarm

Sawing is fun!!!
Looks like corn in the background?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

Welcome to the FF and nice work on getting the saw running.  8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ajkoontz

Quote from: thecfarm on September 20, 2023, 05:38:43 AM
Sawing is fun!!!
Looks like corn in the background?
Yes, field corn in the background- not mine though. I'm in central Indiana just south of Indy. 20 miles north is the big city, 20 miles south all farm and forest, me right in the middle in my little slice of heaven. 

RetiredTech

Quote from: ajkoontz on September 18, 2023, 12:08:12 PMI've done a LOT of reading and learning here

I'm in the same boat. I just started using my mill. There's a wealth of information here. I find myself getting into threads from years ago. FF is my goto  place when I have a some time to read online. Keep posting.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

OlJarhead

Yes!  Back around 2009 I was lurking and some time in 2010 I signed up and vegan asking questions and today, I still get answers here.

Great people, great resource,  great sight!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Thank You Sponsors!