iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WDH Danny Hamsley

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I am smiling through my tears.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Thank You 2X2Designs for sharing your wonderful recollections and tribute. 

Our Collective Love for Danny will forever bond us together as we make our journey toward forever.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chet

What a wonderful tribute to Danny.  :)   I had a teacher growing up that influenced me like Danny did you. Often when conversing with Danny, I would remember Mr. Lewis. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

GAB

2x2Designs:
First off welcome to the forestry forum.
Your post was a long read, but well worth the time in my opinion.
Danny influenced you and many others in his life.
Now it is our turn.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

customsawyer

2X2 You Sir are going to go far in life and do fine doing it. I can't express what your story meant to me. I'm not sure where you are living now but want to extend a heartfelt invitation to you and your family to the 2023 sawing project next month. There is a post about it on the sawmill board. Some of Danny's family are going to be here and lots of his friends from here will join in. We are going to celebrate knowing Danny and the love he had for all things wood. You are welcome to come by my place any time you so desire even if you just want some "scraps".
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

That was WDH.  Great post.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Resonator

Danny would be proud, if nothing else than for the prodigiously effectual utilization of paragraphical spacing. ;D
Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

He loved him some big words! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

scsmith42

Wonderful post 2x2 designs.  Simply wonderful.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

A great post and read to see how Danny and wood have influenced your life. Thank you for a great story.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Andries

A wonderful read, 2x2design.
It sounds like you may be embracing Danny's 'pay it forward' philosophy of life.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ron Scott

A great read and tribute to Danny.
~Ron

Nebraska

2x2  amazing story, don't be a stranger, you are welcome here.  Share your projects if your time allows. I'm sure others besides me would like to see that table..That was a great tribute.

2x2Designs

Wow

I am truly at a loss for words and am moved by yall's kindness. I never thought my words would seemingly mean so much to some people, but from the post here and messages I have gotten, I am honored and I truly hope I can fill my end of the deal by paying Danny's generosity forward.

DbltreeBelgians

All I can say is WOW!! That was a fantastic story. I only met Danny once but found a friend in him on the spot. He treated me like he had known me all my life. He was truly a gentleman and though I only met him once the pleasure was all mine.
Thank you @2x2 Designs for the great story.

Brent

WV Sawmiller

Great story. To any of you who had a mentor you can feel those times with them again. :) :) :) 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

customsawyer

I don't have much else to say other than today is one of those days I miss my friend. He is still so much more than a friend. Gone to soon. Rest in peace my brother.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

Today marks one year since our Friend has passed. I miss him everyday and think of him often. Wishing you were still here Danny Boy.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

I have two of the little coaster sized wooden engravings that Doc Henderson sent to the project last April with an image of Danny on them.  I keep one in my truck where I store my key and one on my desk.  I see each of them every day and they remind me of our friend.  

It is hard to believe that a year has passed already.
Caveman

Old Greenhorn

It is a true testament to a Man's contribution to his fellows that the value of what he gave is treasured in years down the road. Danny was a rare one.
 I come across an old post of his here and there and it all comes back, what little I knew of him, which is still enough to know his fiber. (Danny had a persistent habit of reminding me that I did not leave enough space between my paragraphs.) I look at that sawing project coaster on my desk every morning and give a little smile.
 I lost a very dear friend back in 2015 and understand how we can literally miss them everyday. They were a part of us and now we miss having that part present in our daily lives. I don't know if that feeling goes away yet, but I kind of like having it around because it reminds me of a lot of good stuff.
 I'll be thinking about all you guys who had a closer connection to him today. I have an idea what's on your mind. God Bless.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

I was just thinking it's been a year since Danny's passing.
Last September I had 2 major funerals here within a couple weeks time, one I was a pall bearer, and the other I played for the service. Soon after Danny passed, and it was just a tough time to get through. Seeing his friends and family at Jake's place last April was a good way for those of us who couldn't get to the funeral remember the good times, and the positive impact he had on so many.

Had 2 different customers I was talking to recently about tree's, leaves, wood types and what quality of lumber they make. Told them about a guy I had known, who could identify any tree that ever growed... still miss Danny.
Independent Gig Musician and Sawmill Man
Live music act of Sawing Project '23 & '24, and Pig Roast '19, '21, & '24
Featured in the soundtrack of the "Out of the Woods" YouTube video:
"Epic 30ft Long Monster Cypress and Oak Log! Freehand Sawing"

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

doc henderson

We had some offline communication that I treasure.  I wish I could have been there.  glad the coasters added something.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

firefighter ontheside

I think of Danny with almost every thing I do having to do with milling or drying wood.  I knew Danny originally from a woodworking site I was a member of.  Another of my friends from that site introduced me to Danny and got me to join here.  Sadly they are both gone and I miss them both.  Not long ago I deleted Danny's phone number from my phone.  Rest in peace, friend.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!