iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any idea on the wood and how it's made

Started by Sedgehammer, January 14, 2023, 01:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Saw this in a prank video. We like the doors, but are wondering wood type and possibly how they are made

Almost looks like pallet wood based on the colors and finish, but i think it's too wide for that, plus there's no nail holes and i think they are just butted together, no t&g

Necessity is the engine of drive

Ianab

You can build doors like that if you aren't fussy about some seasonal gaps opening up between the boards. Screw things together from the hidden side, and a some glue if you want. The diagonal bracing keeps it in shape. 

The wood? Probably whatever they could find that was cheap  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Hilltop366

Kinda looks like rough sawn pine that has been sitting around for awhile with some blue stain and some dirt and water stain on it.

If looking for "old rustic" nailed together would look better than screws to me.

To make I would cut the boards a inch or so too long and a total of a ½" ish too wide and lay the boards outside face down and on a flat surface then cut 2 boards 2" wide and 1" narrower than the cabinet and chamfer the edges (sides and ends) of one side and glue and nail to back of door near top and bottom leaving space for trimming and to not interfere with the bottom shelf when the door is closed. Then trim top and bottom of doors to the final size and add the trim on front.

It is a lot easier to make the doors a bit big and trim to final size and square than to glue and nail perfect.

Don P

Built by "man with hammer"  :D
Wood works better in compression. Those diagonals are in tension, which is the direction to run a steel strut.
Run the brace from low on the hinge side to high on the latch side of a door. As the wood moves the door will stand a better chance of not sagging.

Sedgehammer

Thanks everyone

Don, good idea. I was going to change them up some if I made this venture. I would either buy finished rustic alder or hickory or buy some abs finish it myself. I'd just butt them, screw them from the back to the top and bottom runners about 2" wide, then run the angle brace how you said. I have another idea in working on tho. I'll post it when I have it far enough along

low_48

With no knots, I'm guessing rough sawn cottonwood. A lot of that goes to cheap pallets.

farmfromkansas

Cottonwood seems to be a good material for a lot of uses.  The stuff I have seems to have no problem with PPB.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Sedgehammer

Quote from: farmfromkansas on January 21, 2023, 05:59:35 PM
Cottonwood seems to be a good material for a lot of uses.  The stuff I have seems to have no problem with PPB.
PPB?

Thank You Sponsors!