iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New pickup shopping.

Started by hedgerow, July 23, 2023, 10:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

Didn't want to highjack Walnut Beast thread. I think its time for a new half ton pickup. New truck will be replacing a 2011 Ford 4X4 four door 5.0 V8 pretty well loaded up. Truck has been great just about turning hundred thousand. So new truck will be V8 4x4 four door and middle of the road trim. So question is what brand. Only Dodges I ever had were diesels. All my gas pickups have been Chevy's or Ford's. So far internet shopping the Ford dealers are offing more off on list prices. So fire away and tell me what you like and don't on the new ones. 

stavebuyer

How much you want for the 2011?lol 

Bradm

Can't speak for Ford or Chevy, but I bought a new 2022 1/2 ton Ram 4x4 crew cab in March and the only complaint I have about it is not having the ability to put it in 2nd gear when starting from a dead stop.  Average fuel mileage of 19 mpg but on the right stretch of road I think I could get that up to 23 mpg.  Locally the price was around $6,000 less than Ford and $10,000 less than Chevy/GM.

firefighter ontheside

Others experience may vary, but if you plan to keep a truck for 10 years or more, the chevy will be rusted before that.  The fords are now all aluminum body panels.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

chevytaHOE5674

I've seen more than a few new "aluma-duties" with white corrosion and the paint pealing off. Another year or 2 I'll bet they have holes corroded thru them.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: hedgerow on July 23, 2023, 10:39:14 AM
Didn't want to highjack Walnut Beast thread. I think its time for a new half ton pickup. New truck will be replacing a 2011 Ford 4X4 four door 5.0 V8 pretty well loaded up. Truck has been great just about turning hundred thousand. So new truck will be V8 4x4 four door and middle of the road trim. So question is what brand. Only Dodges I ever had were diesels. All my gas pickups have been Chevy's or Ford's. So far internet shopping the Ford dealers are offing more off on list prices. So fire away and tell me what you like and don't on the new ones.
Glad to hear. On the truck shopping it was for everybody. I'm just as interested in what everyone else is shopping for! Also input, advice and how insane we might be getting a new truck.

Talked to another guy today that was in the dealer game that said prices are going up next year 

TroyC

Prices will continue to rise until the economy takes a downturn. The FED is predicted to raise another quarter point so there is a ways to go yet.

Peter Drouin

My 2006 2500 4x4 5-speed standard.
No rust

I just keep after it, New trucks are too much $$$$$
Just turn 100,000 miles.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gspren

Back in late 2019 just before the covid stuff hit the fan I bought a new F350 Lariat 4x4 with 4 doors and 8' bed to tow the 5th wheel and boat. At that time they were discounting trucks. I've now down sized the boat and am selling the 5th wheel so won't need the truck which is extra low miles, the ford dealer where I got it is offering what I paid to get it back. My biggest thought is that I've always had a truck so can I get by with a SUV and a trailer, I think so but haven't quite convinced myself.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

hedgerow

Quote from: stavebuyer on July 23, 2023, 11:12:40 AM
How much you want for the 2011?lol
I think it is already sold. Not really worried about rust. New one will be a garage queen and only driven in the non salted time of the year. I have another 2011 that I bought new, F-350 four door with thirty thousand miles on it that has never seen salt that will become my everyday truck. The 2011 F-150 that I am selling has always been driven in the winter and shows no rust and the frame is fine. It gets washed a lot in the winter.  

Bruno of NH

The Nissan Titan is a good buy for a new truck . They still come with a good size v8 and strong transmission. 
My neighbor got one last year and likes it alot. It's a middle of the line trim but still has lots of options. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Delmonico red and Patriot blue are some real eye candy in night edition. The display screens are getting so big 😂. The knob at the bottom of the screen is the reverse steer. You don't use the steering wheel just turn that knob to back up and if you want to back up straight leave it in the straight mode. Everything calibrates with the trailer your pulling. 

Hedgerow get the panoramic sunroof on the 1500

barbender

My gosh. That stuff is cool as long as it works, I guess. I've head people talk about backing up different vehicles that have object detection, they set the brakes for you if they sense something. Sounds good in theory, not so much when it twists your neck around when your backing out of the garage and something fools the sensor.
Too many irons in the fire

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 27, 2023, 12:46:03 PM
Hedgerow get the panoramic sunroof on the 1500 <
I don't think I need a sunroof. If I need sensors to help me back a trailer up I better not be driving. Leaning towards Ford's F-150. Have to decide If I want leather heated seats Lariat has them and the F-150 I have now has them. The F-350 I have doesn't have them. Any one going to talk me into a Dodge or Chevy? Been spraying a lot this week so haven't been to any dealers  just some internet shopping at night. 

Walnut Beast

There you go boys a 100k truck vs a 2k truck. The video pretty much speaks for itself 408k views in eight days. Real word tests and comparison  by a diesel mechanic. 

https://youtu.be/DA0FecjTndo

Southside

What are the taxes and insurance on a new compared to 10 year old truck?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OH logger

Quote from: Walnut Beast on July 27, 2023, 12:46:03 PM
Delmonico red and Patriot blue are some real eye candy in night edition. The display screens are getting so big 😂. The knob at the bottom of the screen is the reverse steer. You don't use the steering wheel just turn that knob to back up and if you want to back up straight leave it in the straight mode. Everything calibrates with the trailer your pulling.

Hedgerow get the panoramic sunroof on the 1500

Now that's funny. My last dodge was delmonico
Red and the one I have now is
Patriot blue. Liked the delmonico red better 
john

Corley5

We were in the Chrysler Capital lease market for 5.5 years. Three Ram 4x4 1500s. A 2018, 2020, and a 2022. Two cab and a halfs and one full four door. We put 30,000 miles on each of them without major issues. There were a couple minor recalls. The computer had to be reflashed on the 18. The rear window seals leaked on the 20 and there was some corrosion in the rear wiring harness on the 22 that caused issues. They were good trucks. The 5.7 Hemi is fun to drive 8) 8) I don't want to own one of these tech marvels. Leasing and trading before the warranty is up works for us with the amount of miles we drive.
 The mileage cap was looming with the 22 so I started shopping around. The lease markets aren't what they were 18 months ago. They're twice as expensive. Ram still had the best deal when compared to Ford and GM. I paid a visit to Toyota. I haven't had one since April of 2002. I left after putting money down on a Tacoma that was scheduled to be built on 6/17. It showed up at the dealership on 7/14 but I couldn't get there until the 20th to bring it home. The payments are more than we used to make on the Rams but less than a new Ram lease would have been. I'll drive it for 2 years  ;D 8)  It'll never look this good again  ;D :)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ljohnsaw

My fishing buddy been itching to get a second vehicle. He has his 1975 Chevy Van he bought  new but always needs some tinkering. His other vehicle is a 2007 4rnr. Super clean but his girlfriend drives that. So we went looking on the CarMax lot. Some potential there. The plan was to drive an hour to really look at the Chevy Silverado LTZ on hold for $73k. Completely loaded.

We ended up just going a mile to a big automall to see if they had any and if it was what he really wanted. They were under new ownership and were giving 25 year unlimited mileage power train warranty.

Found an LTZ a step down. No power running boards, no tailgate stereo speakers and no heads up display. The sticker was $68,450. Got it for $61,500.

Nice truck. Big!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038
Ford 545D FEL
Genie S45
Davis Little Monster backhoe
Case 16+4 Trencher
Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

Seems like not a great time to buy.  Prices high, and at least Ford is having a lot of recalls, which means they were pushing product out the door with problems not worked out.  The new ceo of Ford got huge bonus probably for sales quotas, so he's incentivized to push product out likely.  I have a 2020 F350 that was at the dealer for 8 weeks for 2 recalls (parts not available by Ford).  Just got it back.  

If it were me, I'd make my truck go as long as possible.  It's cheaper to put money into maintaining the truck than buying new. I'll keep my 2014 F150 going.  My last truck, a 91 Chevy 1500 I had 24 years.  100K miles is nothing these days.  I'd consider spending the money to refurbish and freshen up your 2011 truck, more than you might have normally.  I think it's money better spent.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

K-Guy

@hedgerow 

If you're looking at trucks with similar equipment, look at the price out the door. MSRP's could be different enough that one with less cash off is still cheaper. Also buy at the end of the month, if they haven't met this months quota they may give a bit better price. 

I grew up on a car lot.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

I had a 2003 Chevy diesel and it was the best truck I ever owned in terms of power, comfort, suspension, and mileage.

I then traded it in and got a new at the time 2013 Chevy diesel and got was the best truck I ever owned.  I still have it and tow max capacity DOT scaled loads with it.  

I now own a 2021 Ford diesel and it is the best truck I've ever owned, by far.  More power, better suspension, better brakes, better everything including cab room.  22 mpg in eco mode.  I recently experimented in terms of maxing out the 2013 Chevy and the 2021 Ford with rated both bumper pull and gooseneck loads, went across scales to weigh them, and drove them on the Interstate and the back country roads to see if there was much difference.  There was.  it wasn't even close.  Bottom line, 2021 Ford was a much better towing vehicle than the 2013.  The suspension was much better, power was much better, braking, everything was better.  Apples to apples, and I wish I had filmed it after watching the YouTube video Walnut put up.  Even the horn in the Ford is better, it sounds like a foghorn, when a lady was driving down the centerline reading her cell phone, the Ford horn penetrated her closed windows, and made her look up before we collided.  Scary, and I credit that one to the Ford horn.  

I recently towed a 10,000 bumper pull load 16 hours round trip, and the truck pulled it like my old 2003 used to pull my bass boat.  The towing capability is amazing and as I'm looking at transmission and engine temps, the 2013 would start to heat up on some really long hills, and the 2021 barely even bothers to downshift and the engine and transmission temps are stable.  I'm glad, because I ordered a new Ford 2023 to replace my Chevy 2013 and hopefully it will be in sometime this decade.

I also get Ford points, which is enough for me to get my oil and fuel filter changes for free, in my driveway, by the Ford service truck.  All I have to do is call up, make an appointment, and hang up.  They also take care of most recall issues at the same time.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

I don't really belong on this thread, because I don't know if I'll ever have the dough for a new truck. Trying to hunt down used ones, one thing that makes me leary of Chevy and Ford's newer diesels is the CP4 injection pump, which has a documented history of catastrophic failure. Not as much of a concern on a new truck with warranty (although if it happened in the middle of our family vacation pulling the camper out West, it would put us in a pickle either way), but on the what are now considered low mile rigs with 100k on them, it is a real concern. I would not want to be digging myself out of a $10k fuel system failure out on the road!
Too many irons in the fire

Tom K

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 02, 2023, 01:51:49 PM
  Bottom line, 2021 Ford was a much better towing vehicle than the 2013.  The suspension was much better, power was much better, braking, everything was better.  Apples to apples
You comparing a 10 year old 150k mile truck to a 2 year old 30k mile truck way more then Ford vs Chevy. You could substitute any of the big 3's 10 year old truck vs any 2 year old truck and you would see the same results, the newer truck would win hands down. 
Fact of the matter is any 3 comparably equipped new trucks will be about the same performance wise, the difference being personal preference and creature comforts. 
You want a true apples to apples, wait till your '24 Ford comes in and get a new comparably equipped Ram and GM and then compare. 

Southside

Hey, who makes the best two cycle oil and what mix works best? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!