iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New pickup shopping.

Started by hedgerow, July 23, 2023, 10:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I normally save the "no financing" till the deal is done and the paper work started. I'm a t-shirt and blue jeans guy so I guess I don't look like I could pay cash, because I've gotten some strange looks when I say cash deal. I also never buy extended warranties on anything, I know that on rare occasions that can bite but I've saved way more on not buying than I could ever save with having them.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Walnut Beast

So if your paying cash and don't get extended warranties I assume you like to save lots of money. Are you just running liability insurance and not full coverage? 

21incher

Last time I paid cash was for my Harley back in 2002. Told the dealership I was paying cash. Walked in with almost  23k cash in my pockets (boy were they fat) and all he'll broke loose.  They thought I was bringing a check and quickly locked the office I was in doing  paperwork.  Called the owner to come and take it to the bank then made me sign special IRS paperwork saying I paid with cash. The finance guy got a little nervous when I asked him why all the lockdown. I said don't  worry I'm carrying  my 357 and my wife is right outside the door with her 9mm. Nobody would  make it out the door alive if they tried stealing it. Well from then on I always just use a check. 
I see huge discounts on F150s starting to pop up lately. Dealers are loaded up with them but interest rates are cutting down buyers affordability.  They say by Nov it should be the best time in over 2 years to get discounts on non renewed models. 
Bought 2 new vehicles last year and bought 8 year zero deductible factory  warranties with added LED coverage on both of them. With the complex designs and pandemic quality I feel it's  worth it. One LED headlight or taillight with bliss dying costs the same as the warranty plus soon shop time will be over $200 an hour. I have read too many stories of people getting stuck with 4k bills for things like replacement  of heater door actuators because the entire dash has to be pulled for replacement and electronics gremlins.  Some like to gamble though.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Walnut Beast

The new truck I've got spec out is 114k. I'm having a hard time picking up that phone and ordering that truck when I could buy 38 acres of tillable land in Kansas for 3k acre and spend the same exact money. Cash rent for 125 is 4,750 year. I know what Stavebuyer would tell me to do! 

stavebuyer

Buy the farm and let someone else have the truck. Your truck is barley broken in. 

Southside

Forever it has been the rule that cash rent is 1/10 of value. So either price is way over value or rent is way low. Given the commodity market I don't think there is room for rent to triple.

So the question is when will the spread between value and price come back to historical numbers? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JD Guy

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 03, 2023, 05:14:29 AM
Finance the truck. Pay it off the same week.  Screw them all!

What rubs me wrong are the junk fees.  What is a "doc fee?"  Just dealer speak for $500 of pure profit.

I bought my wife a car for successfully defending her dissertation and completing her PhD.  I told the salesman my offer, I told the sales manager my offer.  It was $xx,xxx out the door.  They came back with my offer plus all the fees.  

I asked them both, "Do you understand that I will not pay more than my original offer no matter how you do the math?"  

It took two hours but I got what I wanted in the end.  They reduced the car price and added all the junk fees to equal my offer.  

Just for meaness, I financed it and paid it off at the bank the next week.
Was in a similar situation a few years ago, negotiated the price and paying cash. When they came back with the sales contract it had those other "fees" in and of course the total price was higher. Same scenario as yours, I told them I didn't care how they did their math but the bottom line is what I was paying and not a penny more or I was walking out and not coming back and they could keep the truck. When I stood up the sales manager quickly relented. Still left a bad feeling. To be truthful I detest car/truck shopping  :(

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on September 03, 2023, 06:51:12 PM
Forever it has been the rule that cash rent is 1/10 of value. So either price is way over value or rent is way low. Given the commodity market I don't think there is room for rent to triple.

So the question is when will the spread between value and price come back to historical numbers?
Kansas is all over the board go south to Oklahoma and it's 30 bucks acre. From some of the guys I know and have talked to guys. Things are starting to soften up a little on the high prices

gspren

Quote from: Walnut Beast on September 03, 2023, 12:58:39 PM
So if your paying cash and don't get extended warranties I assume you like to save lots of money. Are you just running liability insurance and not full coverage?
First off when I say cash I normally write a check, same to me. I do carry full insurance to protect against catastrophic loss but no to extended warranties. Nowadays nearly everything you buy from a $15. grinder at Harbor Freight to appliances and vehicles the dealers make big bucks selling extended warranties that mostly never get used and thats where I don't buy.

firefighter ontheside

I've always bought extended warranties on new vehicles.  This current truck is the first time it didn't pay off.  I didn't put enough miles on the truck in five years to get my moneys worth.  Had to have a big repair done recently.  It was out of warranty even though it only had 90,000 miles.  If I ever buy another new truck, I will buy the warranty.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

beenthere

QuoteFirst off when I say cash I normally write a check, same to me.

If I negotiate with a buyer, such as selling something on CL, and say cash, then upon arrival and they want to pay with a check.. that won't work. 

So good to clarify if the seller will accept a check as "cash". 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hedgerow

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 02, 2023, 09:53:35 PM
So hedgerow your going to rule out an entire brand because you don't like the way a individual dealership does business?

If you think a Ford, Dodge, Toyota, etc dealer won't do the same thing your crazy.

So if your local Ace hardware made you mad would you completely rule out say Milwaukee power tools because they are sold at Ace?
I have drove many GM pickups in the past but since 2005 have only driven Ford and one Dodge Dakota for a short time as a farm truck. So a switch back to Chevy was going to be a big deal. The way this dealer handled him self just made sure I won't be switching back to GM. We will find out Tuesday how the Ford dealer is going to be. I have talked numbers with him and told him what happen with GM. I am hoping we fully understand each other. If we like the truck hopefully the deal can happen with no issues. I don't have to buy a truck. I can keep driving the two I have. 

Andries

My thinking is with chevytaHOE on this.
Do your research, decide which brand and model you want, then make that happen.
Don't let some slippery sales snake be part of your decision making.
Life is better when we learn to plough around the salespeople stumps.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

I kind of lean the other way on this and I'll tell you why. I hate truck or car shopping, it takes a long time to find a reliable and consistent dealer you can talk straight with and get a decent deal. Years ago I got taken for a ride or two before I figured out how they play the game.
 But pretty much everyone hear agrees than when you buy a chainsaw, you pay a tad more and get it from a good dealer that can support it with parts and competent service, right? So I figure if any dealer is gonna hose me or try to pull a fast one on my initial purchase, well I don't want anything to do with them. These attitudes come down from management which means they have likely filtered through the whole dealership, including service. So you get a major problem early on that should be covered under the purchase agreement and they try to walk away and say it's not their problem, gonna cost you big time. No thanks. They had a chance to gain some of my trust and they blew it. I walk away and never look back, being thankful I figured them out before they got me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trimguy

I have ran into this before, if it was the same it wouldn't be different. 

gspren

Quote from: trimguy on September 04, 2023, 04:55:18 PM

I have ran into this before, if it was the same it wouldn't be different.
The difference between cash and check is trust, the dealer makes the same either way. Some will take a cashiers check issued by the bank only while others may accept a personal check so yes that needs to be clear before the deal is finalized. My bank/credit union doesn't charge to issue a cashiers check with a limited number per year. My most recent vehicle purchase took a personal check.

hedgerow

WOW Time seems to slip away. We did make the 300 mile round trip last Tuesday to look at the Ford. The deal was mostly made on the phone on the Friday before. Did buy the truck. F-150 V8 Lariat Series. Exterior Azure Gray Metallic Tricoat. Interior Slate Leather Trim Bucket. An older gentlemen had ordered the truck and had pass away before it came in. So the truck was a special order. One of the things it has that he ordered are the larger power mirrors like my one ton has and I do like the larger mirrors. Truck listed for seventy thousand plus and we bought it out right for sixty five thousand so a little over five grand off list. Drove it home 150 miles and its setting in the shed. Time to move the 2011 F-150 out. I think its sold. Just put four hundred miles on it today. Need to start driving the new one.   

customsawyer

With the amount of problems that new equipment has now days, I would probably hang on to the old one for a few months.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

21incher

I recently looked at one like that with the hybrid and power generator.  Almost 80k. And they deleted the steering wheel heater for like a $50 credit. I told the sales man why would anyone want a truck like that in the northeast without that option. He said we can do better on the price  :D. Did yours have it or the credit? 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hedgerow

Quote from: 21incher on September 13, 2023, 08:07:37 AM
I recently looked at one like that with the hybrid and power generator.  Almost 80k. And they deleted the steering wheel heater for like a $50 credit. I told the sales man why would anyone want a truck like that in the northeast without that option. He said we can do better on the price  :D. Did yours have it or the credit?
It does have the heated steering wheel. I do think I will enjoy it. It also has the heated and cooled seats. I sure like the heated seats in the 2011 F-150. My 2011 F-350 does not and I will be driving it a lot in winter now when the 2011 F-150 goes down the road. 
Customsawyer I have my 2011 F-350 that will be my every day truck now. Its only has thirty thousand miles on it.  No need to hang on to the 2011 F-150. 

Walnut Beast

How would you like to get a new truck and have this happen. The guy was getting out of his truck and I said wow were you there when it happened and he said he was on the road working in a small town when the hail hit and he said it was like grapefruit size 

hedgerow

Walnut Beast That wouldn't be a good day. Back in 2015 wife had just gotten a new Jeep Wrangler and stopped into a business to talk to a friend and always parks way away from any one. A semi came into the parking lot and was on his phone and was lost and side swiped the whole side of her Jeep and blew both tires on that side. A lady saw it happen stopped him. $16,000 worth of damage and they didn't total it. We traded when it came back from the body shop. Hoping the new truck lives a long damage free life. 

Walnut Beast

Wow! I like to park a little ways away also . Sounds like you got a pretty nice truck Hedgerow! Congratulations and enjoy!

Walnut Beast

Salesman is calling me if I'm ready to special order the new truck. With the union ready to strike and demanding a 47% pay raise over four years I might never see the truck anytime soon and if you wait till the cows  🐮 come home it might be priced out of sight beyond what it is.

mike dee

Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

Thank You Sponsors!