iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roller tables

Started by trimguy, February 13, 2021, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Yup even my big blower doesn't like a steady diet of wet cypress sawdust from the mill. If I'm sawing a full day of it I just unhook the chute and blow it on the ground. If I try using the blower the 30' plus of inlet pipe will get plugged and has to be cleaned out. If it's just a couple of hours of it I will use it, knowing that whatever I'm sawing next will clean it out.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

moodnacreek

One disadvantage of the traveling saw is sawdust discharge. With a carriage mill sawdust spills in a pit and you can have a blower or a drag chain or even an auger .

customsawyer

The problem with cypress is the amount of moisture in the sawdust. As those that were at the project can confirm you can't get any more water in that wood. As it gets in the sawdust chute/blower hose than it just starts sticking to everything. It will plug everything up in short order.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Old Greenhorn

After seeing what I saw, and for the first time ever to see it also, I would characterize more more like you had a lot of sawdust in your water. :) :D
 Geez some of those boards just had puddles on them as they were being stacked. I've milled soaking wet wood but never saw anything like that. It's almost a paste.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

caveman

I just read through this whole thread again today.  I was looking for tips to improve efficiency as most of us have found that the milling of boards is just one step in a material handling process.

We have made a few changes since the inception of this thread that have improved our efficiency.  The roller tables I bought were 10' long.  The one positioned right behind the mill to handle the dragged back slabs, boards and flitches was recently cut into 4' and 6' tables.  This saves a lot of steps walking around a long table.  The last couple of times we've sawn, we sawed 8-10' logs so we positioned the shorter table at a 30° or so angle off to the side of the table behind the mill.  The slabs go to a slab rack I made a few months ago.  The boards are stacked according to size on steel sawhorses beside the roller table behind the mill, while flitches are sent in a linear direction towards the edger and are stacked on steel sawhorses or on square tubing on the ground.  Last week we stacked some wide 2" thick oak on the tubing on the ground.  That was a mistake as they did not lose weight down there.  

Our rinky dink operation is in continual evolution, but a few things we have incorporated lately have definitely improved efficiency and cut down on the manual labor.  
1.  Roller tables
2.  Telehandler
3.  Slab rack- it can be emptied with the fork or the whole thing can be hauled to the burn pile, dumped and retrieved using the forks without leaving the tractor or Lull seat.
4.  dust collector/blower attached to the discharge chute of the mill
5.  Edger- most recent addition.  This is truly a game changer for us.  The speed at which it produces accurate, straight boards from flitches is phenomenal.  
6.  I almost forgot about pallets.
7.  Stickers-  I've started sawing them at 1"x 1.25" and two inches longer than the lumber pallets are wide, so 44".

There are several more things we can do to further improve.  One will be an always available pull through area for trucks and trailers.  It is amazing how many people are incapable of backing the trailers that they haul.  We are really limited by space, but this has to happen.  Another will be concreting the floor of the mill shed to stack lumber.  We've about stopped stacking under the shed due to the hassle of leveling blocks for each stack of lumber.  Concrete has just gotten stupid expensive- time to buy and cry.  

I would be interested in seeing any other things y'all are doing that makes tough jobs easier.

Caveman

Stephen1

I'd like to see your blower and where it goes. My biggest problem is sawdust in an industrial setting. I shovel it into a Uline bag and then take them to my property where I am building a sound barrier from the noise bikes blasting by. I think A blower with a hose right into the bag will work. I just got finished planing my cedar decking with my Dewalt735 which has a built in blower and I hooked a hose to it and into the bag. Worked great. Now I need to figure a blower and hose from the mill. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

caveman

Below are a couple of pictures of the little blower and the sawdust pile.

I need to clean out under the mill again soon.  We also should concrete under the shed but the price of concrete is outrageous right now.  It will take 15 yards3.
Caveman

Magicman

You have a nice setup for your locale Kyle.  Let the breezes blow.  Yes, tidying is always a constant but worthwhile endeavor, but part of the job.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

That looks like a great little setup. I setup and take down my mill almost everyday as it sits in the parking lot of an industrial complex. I need to see where I can hang a hose to the mill, maybe a sky hook, I did not mind the sawdust from the hardwood salvage logs, but I have been doing quite a bit of EWP B&B siding and it is getting to be a pain to keep shovelling. I on the look out for used roller tables. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!