iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dino model 120 bandsaw profiler with Ripper 37 bands

Started by Bcwill250, October 11, 2023, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bcwill250

Good day folks. 

Im quite new to milling and have finally gotten my mill solid, square, flat and milling pretty well. 

I bought it with only a few hours on it and it came with a handful of used bands. I presume they're the Ripper 37's that would have been included with it. As the profile looks right.

I'm on a tiny island without mail service, ferry service or much else on the west coast of Canada. An awesome neighbor has given me his Dino model 120 bandsaw sharpener to use if I can get it to work.

After promptly grinding a few teeth flat on one of the old bands I began trying to figure out the sharpener. And I think I'm pretty close. Ive got it matched to the profile of the Ripper bands and the timing and everything seems right. But after sharpening one band and testing it.  I'm getting a series of lines down the cut face that are about a blade width apart and a slight gouge into the face... basically it looks like hell and clearly isn't cutting correctly.

I'm guessing it's probably a bad set on one tooth but I'm just a rookie and would like to hear the opinion of someone who knows. 

Can this sharpener actually do good enough job for these blades If setup correctly.  

What's a good option for a tooth setter for the rippers?

Thanks in advance.

RetiredTech

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new at milling myself, but from what I've read from other posts here you've hit the nail on the head. A tooth way out of set will leave the pattern you described. You could use a set of calipers to each tooth and find the ones that are out of line with the others. You'd need a setter to repair it though. If you do a forum search for Pineywoods setter you'll find a bunch of information on a simple to build setter. It's on my to do list.
I'm sure some more experienced members will be along to give you more information.
Philippians 4:8

Branson 4520R, EA Wicked Root Grapple, Dirt Dog Pallet Forks
Echo cs-450 & cs-620p , Husqvarna 136, Poulan Pro, and Black Max Chainsaws
Partially built bandsaw mill

barbender

Usually a tooth that is over set far enough to leave a bad mark like that can be felt with your thumb. Just feel your way down the blade, backwards so you don't cut yourself. Then, when you find the offending tooth you can bend it with a pair of pliers.
Too many irons in the fire

fluidpowerpro

I would suggest building yourself a tooth "de-setter". It's basically a set of rollers you can pull the blade through to insure that they are all at the same set. I built my own a few months back. It's based on other designs I saw from others on the forum. 

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!