iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a firewood processor (with updated 7-10-2011 pics and video)

Started by GF, November 11, 2009, 10:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tractormaniac

tractormaniac here,hope your ok,and life is good. Your wood prossecor is the cats meow! One of the best made Ive ever seen.I also, like so many others would like to have prints, measurements and where to and what parts it takes to build a simmilar prossecor, I could maybe build one but with your help and info would be a dream. thanks alot

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GF

Welcome to the forum tractormaniac.  Also  make sure to keep up with the thread "building a firewood processor", in the "firewood and wood heating" section, jaybe_2 is building a firewood processor also and its looking great. 

I made a couple of modifications and adjustments to the processor recently.  One modification was I tapered the back corners of the splitter box.  When splitting larger blocks of wood it would seem to bind on the corner, after the modification this took care of the problem.  Another modification I made was were the split wood came out the back, it would build up bark and debris is the box area after the split.  I went in with the plasma cutter and cut some 1 1/2" slots, the debris now falls straight through. 

Another adjustment I made was to the autocycle valve for the splitter, the factory setting was not even close to what I needed, it would detent out and return when it hit around 900 PSI of pressure.  After adjusting the autocycle valve it now works correctly even with oak with large knots. Trying to split hickory or pecan with knots 6 ways is another story.  Before I was not at all impressed with the autocyle valve after the adjustments it seems to be working the way I think it should. 

GF

thomo

Congralulations to you GF and Jaybe on your processor builds both units are remarkable for the quality of the build. My firewood business is based in Christchurch New Zealand known for our earthquakes of recent times. We process approx 3000 cords of wood each year, currently use saw and splitter. Have tried a Bindinburg ssp420 and Timberwolf both excellent units  but our logs are up to 36in dia so a self build is possibly the only way forward. Christchurch as a city consumes approx 25000 cord a year. We  have Hailke Pilke X47, Multitechs, Blockbuster, based in our region. Anyone who can steer us in a direction towards a factory production unit would be a help. Cheers Andy Thomson.

Thorracing01

GF,
I know I'm kind of digging this thread up but I had a few questions.

Do you have any updated pictures of the things you have modified? Also do you have any video or pictures of the live deck folding in and out? I have a lot more questions but really been studying your pictures try to pick out all the details.

Thanks
Joel

GF

I dont have any pictures of what was modified.   I made some mod change to the splitting box near the six way splitter from the original desing and also adjust the hydraulics pressures and auto detents.  I fold and unfold the live deck using the forks on my tractor, I thought about making it hydraulic but since it required my tractor to load the logs when I use it, I thought I would just use the tractor do that also.

Gary

Thorracing01

GF,
I sent you a personal message. I have a lot of questions I would like to ask you.

Thanks
Joel

beenthere

Thorracing01
Welcome to the forum.
We'd be interested in your questions too. ;) 

Post 'em up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thorracing01

I would feel better if I got the go ahead from GF. I feel a lot of them are simple(dumb) questions. So I'll just wait to see what GF has to say.

GF

Well it has been about 8 months since I last used the processor, its time to bring it out and start processing some firewood. 

GF

Thank You Sponsors!