iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

the floor lamp that I turned

Started by Dan_Shade, December 22, 2009, 10:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I guess this is a pretty simple project, but it was a quite a learning experience for me as a beginner.  I had to make a few parts over, and some of the mortises I drilled ended up off axis (not sure how that happened), so I had to make wedges and make the tennon smaller.  ugh...

but anways, this is a gift for my sister in law:

I pretty much used a fine woodworking article as a pattern, it's a very close replica.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

especially when she sees the christmas story leg lamp that I bought my brother!

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DanG

I ain't sure what a Christmas story leg lamp is, but I'm sure your SiL will be pleased to have her own lamppost. ;D 8)

Seriously, that looks like a nice piece of work.  I'd like to see a closer pic of the base.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

metalspinner

There is nothing simple about that job and you did it great.

What kind of wood did you use?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

It's white oak, maybe chestnut oak, it's a pretty dark white oak.

the trees blew over when Isabel hit this area, and GaBoy dried the lumber after I sawed it.  the boards had been residing in a spare "bedroom" for a few years.

DanG,  the leg lamp is from the movie, "A Christmas Story".  Raphie's dad won a "Major Award", and the prize was a lamp shaped like a woman's leg wearing a high heeled shoe.  It's really quite a work of art.  I got him the desk top version.

Dan_Shade

i turned a table lamp today.  turning is definately addictive, now I'm going to have to start stockpiling thicker stuff, I've been gluing stock up for thick stuff.

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 23, 2009, 11:58:53 PM
turning is definately addictive

You said it bro!  ;D

Excellent work! You obviously have some skill.
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

they look better from a distance ;)

LeeB

Put really bright bulbs in them so no one gets real close.  :D Just kidding. They look great to me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Burlkraft

Nice job Dan!  8)  8)  8)

For a so called "beginner' You're doing some great work on some challenging projects.

Keep up the good work  ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dan_Shade

i am a beginner.  I used a lathe a little bit way back in high school, but I don't remember doing any beads or coves.  since that time, i've rigged up a thing to use a drill to make a few round parts when needed.

But I just got this lathe back in Nov, and have been putting busted parts in the stove ever since  :)

Some youtube videos help out quite a bit.  There's a fellow on there named Peter Galbert, who makes windsor chairs professionaly, his videos are amazing.

now I gotta master the skew!

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 24, 2009, 08:17:37 AM
now I gotta master the skew!

If you're talking about the skewed chisel tool thing...Yeah dude, that thing is mean. Every time I pick it up, I get about 40 big bite marks in the piece.  :D

Any future projects planned?

Burlkraft

I have a couple of skew chisels. One day I will find a use for them, but right now they have no place in my turning arsenal  :D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

BcWoodWorks

They do work really well for rounding the Bottoms down into Midi-chuck size when you're using the mini-lathe...Granted someone else is doing it.  :D

metalspinner

QuoteOne day I will find a use for them, but right now they have no place in my turning arsenal

Grind them into scrapers. ::)  :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

You did a fine job on your turnings Dan. Now you can earn your username. "Dan the lamp shade". ;)

As to the skew chisels I use mine all the time on beading and around V-notched collars. You have to make light touches and not go at it like a bull. :D I haven't a single turning chisel that was money wasted, other than the fact a couple were just plane crap tools made of soft steel.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GF

That is a couple of nice looking lamps, excellent work. One day when I get time I want to turn some new one for our house.

Gary

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: GF on December 24, 2009, 04:18:03 PM
That is a couple of nice looking lamps, excellent work. One day when I get time I want to turn some new one for our house.

Gary

You have more projects going on than just about anybody I know Gary. No wonder you don't have time to turn lamps.  ;D

Dan_Shade

I kicked the smaller one out in about 5 hours or so, I'm getting better, but I tend to take my time and slowly make my mistakes!  haha

On my turning list is a hand railing to go at the top of my stairs.  I have some red oak ready for that project, I just need to do it.

SwampDonkey

You turning the spokes Dan, or thinking of rounding the hand railing as well? Can you slice off 1/5 of wood (20%) off the round with the mill (then hand plane) to make a flat bottom for the spokes to joint into? I wonder if a jig could be rigged up on a bandsaw?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

maybe it's the eggnog, but you lost me, SD!

I plan on making the whole works.  the end posts are about 3.5" dia and the rungs abotu 1.75" dia.  I figure I can round over the top rail by removing the bulk with a table saw then using a spokeshave or hand plane.  I may be able to find a router bit profile.

SwampDonkey

Looks like you understood just perfectly.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!