iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a chair (pics)

Started by Quebecnewf, April 06, 2012, 09:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Wife say's " Could you build me 4  birch dining room chairs?"

That should be easy for a woodworker like me I thinks.

Step 1

Build Sawmill Shed Wood shed and Solar Kiln

Step 2

Get Sawmill and learn to saw
Step 3

Start cutting hauling piling and rafting logs as pratice

Step 4: Build cribbing in water tear down old shed . build new workshop
Step 5  Clear new portage

Step 7 Walk on sea ice in order to be sure it is thick enough that you don't fall through when you cross with your logs

Step 8 Build new sled

Step 9 Take sleds and snowmobiles to mainland by  boat because sea ice is too thin to cross

Step 10 Find cut haul and pile birch logs at mill

Step 11: Saw birch log

Step 11: Load birch lumber into kiln.

Step 12: Dry lumber. Bring lumber to workshop. Saw cut and make lots of mistakes because your woodworking skills are only half as good as you think they are and presto a chair. Just 4 more to go as this one is only a prototype

I told you it was easy to build. I wonder what I will have to charge the wife for four like this

Quebecnewf

Bill Gaiche

Nice photos. It looks pretty easy from where I am setting. Put I know that it isnt. I built a dinning table last fall and didnt make the chairs (8). It would have taken me way way to long to build them, so the wife bought 8. Am glad she did. I am not patient enough to make that many anyway. Yours look real nice and keep us posted. bg

Planman1954

That is one of the best posts I've seen in a while! Thanks.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 06, 2012, 09:33:24 AM
I told you it was easy to build. I wonder what I will have to charge the wife for four like this

Quebecnewf

I recon you'd have to settle for a good feed of cod's tongues, with a side order of peese pudding... And maybe some dressin' and of course a great big hug...

Herb, married to a townie from St John's...

bedway

Excellent post, and great pics, well done.

DGK

Wives just don't seem to know how much work it is to build something. Mine got tired of waiting and has since left. The upside is that I now have more shop time and the projects are getting completed faster. :-)
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Magicman

Thanks for posting a job well done.  I got PatD to pull her chair up and we watched your progress together.  Now she should understand a bit better why it sometimes takes so long to get something done.  Everything has to be done in order.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Misfit

Great post Quebecneuf! Loved the pictures and the story. Boy, your area is a bit remote but looks great.

You'll need to wash down that sawdust with a little Screech!  ;D
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

beenthere

Thanks for that post. A good chuckle, and looks like you have some extra parts for the other three chairs. Hope you are ready for the next project on the to-do list. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bedway

Ya, my wife of 27 years walked out one day saying she didnt want to be married anymore. Years have passed and im married to a wonderful woman now. Occasionally the x tells me she really screwed up leaving me,,,,,,,,I said  "ya think" ;)

redbeard

Wonderful story, your set up is first class.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

LOGDOG

I always enjoy your threads, pics and adventures Quebecnewf. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

mikeb1079

:D :D :D :D :D

that's all i gots to say!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

steamsawyer

I really enjoyed that. I went through your post several times.

I'm in the middle of one of those "Wife said, Can you build me..." projects right now. I have been strugling with a picnic table build for the third day now and I think I'm at your step #12.

The table is for a fund raiser benefit for some good friends whos house burned down a couple of months ago. The table will be sold as one of many items in a silent auction.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

moosehunter

Cool pics and projects you've got going!
Can't wait to see the finished chairs.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WDH

Quebecnewf,

Seems easy enough  :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JohnM

Just the words 'sea ice' make me shiver. yikes_smiley  (couldn't find a 'I'm cold' smiley)  Great post.

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

POSTON WIDEHEAD

What a story! People  just don't realize what goes on behind the scenes when it comes to building something.

You know she's gonna want 5 more chairs to match it.  :D

Very, VERY, nice work!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

Building chairs, pah, I hates 'em, I do.  I buy lumber and still seems like I go through all those steps.  Chairs are a true test of a wood workers skills, particularly rocking chairs, but I wont go there, doctors orders.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

bandmiller2

Its so nice to be able to work around the shore without scads of government red tape and impact studies,well done. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ForestMan

Splendid!  About wives, it pays to practice patience.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

thecfarm

A very nice thread. You sure do work hard for your logs. That is quite the set up you have there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

roger 4400

Always like to see your place,your work and skill.....We almost met this week end ( sent you a p.m.).I've done many things but never tried to build a chair, it looks too hard, I would have to build a solar kiln, a sawmill shed...too much work :D :D See you. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Dodgy Loner

Well done! I went through mostly the same steps before I built my first chair, but without all the ice and water :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

EZland

Love It!  See when we think of the "whole" process to build something, its the whole process!  Nice!
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

Thank You Sponsors!