iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turning burl bowls

Started by Slab Slicer, September 18, 2012, 11:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slab Slicer

Just discovered my lathe again after a long break. I had cut some burls from a maple tree some time ago, and wanted to see what they would look like. Not bad for my first try.

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Slab Slicer

2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Slab Slicer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on September 18, 2012, 11:14:04 PM
Oh, nice!

Thank you okrafarmer. I've always liked working with wood, and turning is one of my favorites. I have several other burls to work with. I'd like to try a "live edge" burl bowl next.
Chuck

Okrafarmer

That was a nice solid burl, very little tear-out or voids. What species of maple was it, sugar maple?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Slab Slicer

That's one of the things I have to learn. So many maples, it's tough to tell. Sorry I can't be more specific, but that's one of the reasons I'm here. To learn one from the other
Chuck

Okrafarmer

It can be hard to tell the species in log or wood form, but if you see the tree when it's alive, the leaves provide a lot of the clues to tell one maple from another. I use Peterson Field Guides, Eastern Trees as a good starting place, but some kinds of trees such as maples can be notoriously variable from one area to another.

Tree Feller

Nice bowls from some awesome burl wood. For some reason, burls are few and far between around here and then they are mostly Oak. I'd love to get my hands on some nice Maple burl like the ones you turned.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Burlkraft

Nice work Slicer  8)

I have some Big Leaf Maple burls that look like that. The maple burls we get in this part of the country do not usually have the big eyes.
I would assume that they are hard maple, from my limited experience.   ::)

Were they dry? If they were I'll bet they were hard too. I have found they turn a lot better, less tear out if they are a bit green yet.

What ever they are they are definatly awesome looking and a great turning job also.

I need to discover my lathes once again. I really can't remember the last time I turned.
Of courseI can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday either!  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Lud

Real nice looking burl.

I turned yesterday for the first time in over 8 weeks as I was redoing the den at the wife's  request........so no time to turn,  capiche?

I did OK...but felt rusty as all get out.  I guess muscle memory and "touch" fade pretty quick. So turn more if you want to turn better.  Kind of like my golf swing!  HA!    8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Magicman

Very nice craftsmanship. (and bowls too)  :)  Turning is one thing that I have never done since high school shop.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lud

Probably a fortunate coincidence for you, MM.    Wood lathes are actually Time Machines.  Start working on one and the hours can just vanish!

On the other side of the equation, I've never met a woman yet who doesn't like wooden bowls.  Just ask Charlie! ;D ;D 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Slab Slicer

Thanks guys, for all the compliments, and info. These burls were dry for the most part. They sat out after cutting, since early this year. I have several others that I'd like to get on the lathe. Maybe a good winter time killer, if I'm not on the mill on those really cold days.

I'll have to pick up that Pertersons feild guide that okrafarmer mentioned. It would be nice to know exactly what I have on the mill. I have a large clearing job lined up, and there were quit a few maples on the lot.
Chuck

Woodey

Slab Slicer

Fine Burl Bowl.

What type of finish did you use?

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Okrafarmer

Slab, the Peterson's guide is a good quick reference for the whole eastern US, but you may be able to get a pamphlet or book from your local forestry office that will give you a guide to the trees just in your state, which will likely be more accurate and specific to your area.

Den Socling

For stair parts, hard maple is more valuable than soft maple. When soft maple is dried in a conventional kiln, it can pick up a "salmon" discoloration. When soft maple is dried in a vacuum kiln, it comes out as white as hard maple because of the lack of oxidation. Anyway, when I have seen packs of PET hard maple squares with a few soft maple squares "accidently" mixed in, the more porous SM end grain would stand out like a sore thumb.

CHARLIE

Slab Slicer, you picked some pretty wood and made a very nice looking bowl. Good job!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Thank You Sponsors!