iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first chair :)

Started by OlJarhead, June 11, 2013, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I've always wanted to make things out of wood and a recent thread on another forum got me into the spirit :)

I had some blue stained pine that had plenty of damage that I decided to make use of :)  My wife loves it!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

calw1izl

Nice job!  It turned out nice and it is hard to beat the 'Ol traditional Adirondack chair design for plain comfort.
Cal  W1IZL
Cook Saw HD3238, Case 584CK, Cats Claw Sharpener, Setter, way too many misc woodworking tools and equipment

thecfarm

Looks good. I need to build something too. In my spare time.  ::)  Probably in the winter,about 3 years from now.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's really nice Jarhead. But you know and the WIFE knows, just 1 chair ain't gonna get it.  :D

Very nice job Sir.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

giant splinter

Very nice work and the blue stained pine adds a lot of character to it.
note: your porch is decked the same way mine is (don't drop your keys) and don't ask me how I know! ;D
roll with it

OlJarhead

Thanks all :)

I plan to make several others as well as ottomans and tables :)

ancjr

The local Amish make them... out of plastic lumber!   ::)

I got a pile of pallets I thought about making some redneck lawn furniture out of.   ;)

Nice work!   :)

Andy White

OJH
Looks like just the thing for me to use some of my blue stained pine.   Good looking project.        Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Lud

Well done!   When you make a classic design like the Adirondack , it's nice to tweak it a bit......to make it your own just a little bit more.

I always make sure the arm's are level and I drill/route a drink locater at the end of the arm because one can't be tooo careful with a beverage!!! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Ol Jarhead,

You have started on a slippery slope of no return.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 11, 2013, 08:36:49 PM
Ol Jarhead,

You have started on a slippery slope of no return.

:D :D :D So true! I built 1 bench 1 time.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

Guys guys, he built the chair, no slippery slope here he done fell off the cliff!  Seriously though very nice work, I'd like to build a set for our yard, highly doubt they'd be worthy of pictures though  ;).  That chair just looks entirely too comfy for a nice evening  :).

SwampDonkey

You did a fine job on your chair.

Mom and dad have a pair of those. No, I never made them. ;)

Some day, I'm going to tackle a chair build. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Nice, and there is nothing wrong with blue lumber.  Chairs are more abundant than the time to build them.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I built 1 bench 1 time. Was asked not to build another 1. :D My wood working skills end when the tree hits the ground.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

We need to get together sometime, we can knock the trees down and let these guys do all the creative stuff  :D

OlJarhead

Thanks again all and happy fathers day to all Dad's out there :)

I bought myself a nice new jigsaw (since the one I was using was a cheapo broken thing someone left here long ago) and am in the process of cutting out a new chair and some ottomans :)  Hope to have them done this week!

OlJarhead

I wanted to post this in the 'personal best' contest entry but for some reason can't go back and add it :(  It's a much better shot I think :)

On my first chair I guessed the amount of time it took me to make it (and the cost savings) but with this second chair I'm a little more accurate though it includeds cutting all the parts for two ottomans too.  I'm at about 9 hours now with cutting out all pieces, jigsaw work and assembly and stain etc.  Still have some work left on this one with the seat slats and upper back support as well as some touch up stain after I do some sanding to smooth the transitions between seat slates etc.  Then I can get the Ottomans done and start with the varathane :)

Just something awesome about having your own wood to do whatever you please with it :D

ancjr

I like the character of the wood!   :)

Templates, jigs and fixtures go a long way to making consistent parts and quick, accurate assembly.

SwampDonkey

They really do look nice.  8)

I would like to restore an old "Foe-Toy" (Fr. sp. Fauteuil) if I can ever find one. I might have to make one instead. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jamesamd

I like them very much but I think You may need to add one brace,from the wraparound back down to the back legs.Look durn comfey!

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

OlJarhead

Not sure what you mean?  There are three back supports:  lower (between the legs), middle (attached to the arms) and upper (just attached to the back slats).

jamesamd

What I mean is with people plopping into the backrest it will fold or scissor without a brace in the back.
see red brace attachment. 

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

OlJarhead

Never seen one on an Adirondack but who knows.  Mine seem very strong as they are (they were built to a set of plans I bought).

beenthere

Seems if the front leg (upright) that attaches to the front of the arm, and is a solid joint with the side piece that runs back to make the rear leg, then it can't fold up as suggested. Only if that solid joint becomes unstable could the chair collapse.... as I see it.
The stick figure of jamesamd doesn't show that front leg being solid from floor to the arm.

I have an Adirondack that is collapsable (when intended :) ), and has a rear brace that can be moved to different notches for different back locations, as well as fold up completely.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!