iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a chair, winter 2013-14 project. :)

Started by SwampDonkey, November 07, 2013, 05:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Nice work there chair whisperer  :) Good choice of stain.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

Wow, you have convinced me that I never want to build an upholstered chair! Nice work! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Some tools arrived today for the job from C. S. Osborne in NJ. From all I have gathered, they are the upholstery tool people of choice. Even Lee Valley sells some of there items. :)

I'm now convinced beyond any doubt that many upholsterers have become dentists when I see that big long tufting needle with those pinchers over on the right hand side. No doubt about it. All I need is the drill and the white hair, and you can call me Zell from 'Marathon Man'.

"Pain or comfort, which I apply is up to you. Is it safe?"

Ah, my evil side. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mad murdock

That is going to be one first class throne you are building there SD!! Great craftsmanship 8) can't wait to see the completed masterpiece. I have been absorbed in olde English green woodworking as of late, and want to build me some tools to get into the chair angle, and other useful bits from that perspective. A guy just can't have enough things to work on!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jamesamd

Quote from: mad murdock on March 21, 2014, 03:18:00 AM
A guy just can't have enough things to work on!!

Obviously.You have'nt met My Wife! :D

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

SwampDonkey

30 yards of chair webbing fresh off the loom.   :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

WmFritz

I am amazed at the work of art you are creating, Bill. :o

And your right. Maybe the Winter 2014-15 Project could be a dental chair, now that you've got the tools.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

isawlogs

Real craftmenship for sure, she's purdy  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ken

First time I've noticed this thread.  Great job Bill.  I truly admire those who have the ability to build things.  I'm much better at tearing stuff down.   When do you expect to be heading back into the bush for another season of slashing trees?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Thanks Ken and others, there is also a thread on the loom build and some weaving. In the middle of a move here. ;D

Will probably start mowing trees the first of June.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Well, here we are. It's now 2015.  8) And this chair needs do'in.  ;D

Today, I applied the handwoven linen webbing with tacks.

Next, I tackle the seat springs. ;D

SwampDonkey

Got the springs secured today. Nylon cord to attach to the webbing and linen cord to secure the top.   ;D

isawlogs

Work some overtime and get this thing done, I want to see the end product.  ;D :) :)

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Lud

You're doing it right, Donk...........t'ain't a race. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mesquite buckeye

Have fun staying warm and working on stuff inside.  ;D

Only another 6 months till spring, no? ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

I's glad to see this project going again.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Applying the scrim to the frame and securing to the springs. Some lashings will be applied as well. Getting ready for the first stuffing of horse hair.  ;D

WDH

Stay away from the goat hair.  It gets bristly over time. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Watch out! Somebody's gonna get butted.  bat_smailey.   ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mesquite buckeye

Is there an angry goat emoticon?   ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:   smiley_whip
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!