iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Got the bad bearing replaced.  was simple enough except that the vertical bolt that holds the housing up, if tightened snug stops the head from moving so I need to check that.

The bearing was ground down some and had a flat spot.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Well I ended up replacing the 2nd bearing as well.  I'd gone under the mill to check the bearing placement (that upright bolt is to center the bearing on the rail) and noticed it was worn as well so off it came, got it replaced and noticed the 1st one wasn't even on the rail!  So, I had to adjust that side by pulling it in which changed the alignment a little so I had to fiddle with that a bit to get it right but in the end it's sorted!

Now I have to get packed out so I can go mill up 60ish logs in the woods for a long standing customer.  I'll be up over 4000 feet so here's hoping the weather holds!  I don't like pulling the mill in the snow!

OlJarhead

Well it's 8:30am and where is my customer and his help?

I arrived at 7am as I indicated.   went through the mill (lube etc) as it is Dat two and no one has arrived.  grrrrrr

I need to add a waiting on my are clause that says I will bill you for sitting on my rear waiting on you!

if they ain't here in an hour I may just pull up stakes and head out.  

What would you do?  I guess I could call him and ask where his help is but frankly he is an hour away so if he ain't on the way already then I am sitting for am hour.

doc henderson

I have had a few empoyees/PA/NP think they were off.  one came in late and the other felt she did not need to come in since she thought she was off.  must be a new thing.  maybe they got the date wrong in their head, I would call.  give you a chance to express your displeasure.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

I call as soon as I get there to find out where the customer is.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

They showed up not long after, got a slow start and only milled 11 logs that scaled out about 1700bf.

They say they will be there earlier today.  we shall see.

Have had a litany of issues this trip the latest of which is sporadic slowing down of the head once the clutch engages.   seems to help to clean and lube the rails but not all the time.

I am scratching my head on this one.

Darrel

I'd check those bearings you replaced the other day, sounds like they may be adjusted a tad bit too tight.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

funny thing  is it only happens when the clutch is engaged 

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Spoke with. WM rep who agreed this is a tough one.  I agreed to lube the drum switches etc since I hadn't done in a while and then would test it out and see what happens 

GAB

Quote from: OlJarhead on October 10, 2021, 08:56:46 PM
funny thing  is it only happens when the clutch is engaged
If I read that statement correctly it says that things are happening as the head turns cw when the clutch is engaged.
That bolt that locked the head I think needs to be backed off 1/2 to 1 turn.
Anyway that is where I would start.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

As strange as it is that thus issue was intermittent it does seem it was the carriage drive belt being loose.  it had a half inch of flex vs the called for 1/8.  I tightened it up and it seems good.  we shall see.

Now off to mill Logzillas siblings

OlJarhead

well dis some math today and it looks like Lozilla and the twins ran about 49c/bf to mill (for the customer) so not as good as I would like.  specially since the knots were horrible to mill through.

Job before that was about 55c/bf but that was because the customers crew was so slow and delayed milling a lot.  could easily milled about 1200 to 1500bf for the same money. maybe more like 2500 really, but this is why I bill hourly.

VB-Milling

What caused the slowness with the customer's crew? Too much jibber jabber or didn't know how to work/not capable?
HM126

OlJarhead

I just think they didn't want to work too hard or fast.  lot of sitting around 

VB-Milling

Seems to be a systemic problem nowadays  :D
HM126

OlJarhead

Yup -- though in all fairness they were trying to stack and sticker when not off-bearing and the customer didn't seem to appreciate the importance of having a crew that could be on time, worked off-bearing all the time, and was prepared to work as long as the mill was!

But I appreciate all the work either way (and charge by the hour ;) ) 8) ;D :o

OlJarhead

Watching the video footage and I realize this crew was working hard most of the time...the issue wasn't them, so I stand corrected.  It was just not enough guys to stack and sticker and keep up with 16 footers coming off the mill.

OlJarhead

LogZilla's little bro vid drops tomorrow but I had to fix my feed issue first!
Wood-Mizer LT40 Carriage Feed issue! - YouTube

Bet you all have been there and done that before? LOL but this was my first.

OlJarhead

Howdy!  It's been a while and I haven't posted much but in all fairness I've shifted from pics to vids and find I take less pics!

I milled up the biggest (to me) Black Locust recently and WOW!  That is some gorgeous stuff!  It looked liked a lighter version of Black Walnut and man I wish I could have had a couple slabs :D  I need to advert for some hardwood shares jobs!

Did some cookies too which was fun and they will make awesome tables.  Next up, if I'm lucky is a rotten black walnut that may or may not yield much.  It's dead standing and the guy wants to make something from it as it was his dad's dream and his dad passed.  So I'm going to give it my best to get something useful out of it for him.  We shall see!

Other than that I had a harrowing drive from the property in my dually chained up pulling the mill for 9 miles in the snow and ice!  NEVER AGAIN! lol ok, maybe not never but that's the 3rd time, maybe the 4th and I'm not liking it at all!

Now I'm just settling into the winter routine of making things in the shop and waiting for better road conditions to do more milling!  and yes, I plan to get back at it more frequently.  Still struggling with bad discs etc but not giving up! ha!

Cheers
Erik

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

Looks like I'll be milling up a walnut tomorrow :D  8) it will be a small job but nice to get the mill out during the winter which is rare for me!

OlJarhead

Got that walnut milled up and WOW!  It's gorgeous!
Black walnut gold - Unbelievable grain! | Wood Mizer LT40 - YouTube

There's also a video of milling the black locust and the stump sections as well (from December).

Got a call from a guy to possibly do a 36" 6 foot black locust so hopefully I'll do that too!  Started advertising again as well as I plan to get back to milling more seriously this year.  If luck is with me I'll retire from my regular job and just mill!

Wish me luck!

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!