iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleanup

Started by slider, December 07, 2014, 04:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 11, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
this time of year we are sellin $400/ week in slabs :)

How do you sell it, by the bundle? Do you load, or let them load? Is it sorted by softwood/hardwood, or just a mix? Where I used to work I would bundle right in the slab rack. 4'x4'x whatever length. If sawing 16' lumber, that's two cords. Sometimes the LULL would hardly lift it. We delivered some bundles with the F550, but never had much interest. I could just picture someone coming in in nice shiny pickup wanting a 4,000 pound bundle dropped in the bed. :o :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 12, 2014, 11:29:32 AM
Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 11, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
this time of year we are sellin $400/ week in slabs :)

How do you sell it, by the bundle? Do you load, or let them load? Is it sorted by softwood/hardwood, or just a mix? Where I used to work I would bundle right in the slab rack. 4'x4'x whatever length. If sawing 16' lumber, that's two cords. Sometimes the LULL would hardly lift it. We delivered some bundles with the F550, but never had much interest. I could just picture someone coming in in nice shiny pickup wanting a 4,000 pound bundle dropped in the bed. :o :D

I keep about 20 bundles, But they don't move fast. That's why I chip.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Slabs and sawdust are without a doubt going to pile up if not sold, chipped or burnt.  I've found a pretty good average of a slab bundle to be in the neighborhood of 15 logs or so, this includes the edgings as well.  As of my last sale the pine was selling for 15 bucks a ton, and the oak at 16 bucks a ton.  not a bad net for scrap, I have at least another semi load ready to go to the charcoal kiln, these were just stragglers that were a pain, plus is fuels for the rest of the debris that adds up through sawing.  I still believe a chipper is the way to go, always have, one day I will hopefully have one.  Keep in mind that many of the finer slabs from straight logs will be separated for a local wood worker,  and most of these are from pine, the bark slips nicely and the end product is pretty slick, it just requires a uniform end to end thickness, with some knots acceptable. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on December 12, 2014, 12:55:37 PM
Slabs and sawdust are without a doubt going to pile up if not sold, chipped or burnt.  I've found a pretty good average of a slab bundle to be in the neighborhood of 15 logs or so, this includes the edgings as well.  As of my last sale the pine was selling for 15 bucks a ton, and the oak at 16 bucks a ton.  not a bad net for scrap, I have at least another semi load ready to go to the charcoal kiln, these were just stragglers that were a pain, plus is fuels for the rest of the debris that adds up through sawing.  I still believe a chipper is the way to go, always have, one day I will hopefully have one.  Keep in mind that many of the finer slabs from straight logs will be separated for a local wood worker,  and most of these are from pine, the bark slips nicely and the end product is pretty slick, it just requires a uniform end to end thickness, with some knots acceptable. 

It's good to have different markets like that. What is a [charcoal kiln]?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Peter, there is a company named Royal Oak which manufactures the charcoal briquettes we use in our grills. They have  acres and acres of slabs that when dried to a certain point, are put into a fire chamber and charred down to lumps then shipped to the processing plant that makes the final briquette.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Swatson

Quote from: drobertson on December 13, 2014, 07:42:17 AM
Peter, there is a company named Royal Oak which manufactures the charcoal briquettes we use in our grills. They have  acres and acres of slabs that when dried to a certain point, are put into a fire chamber and charred down to lumps then shipped to the processing plant that makes the final briquette.

You aint kidding Drobertson.  I live about 15 miles away from that plant near Huntsville, AR.  Ive never seen so many slabs in my life.  A couple miles down the road they have started another field of slabs.  It would be interesting to know how many bundles they can process in a week.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Thank You Sponsors!