iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS270 dies when hot

Started by 4lane, May 30, 2018, 02:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4lane

I have a MS270 that starts and runs great until, it seems, it starts to get hot. After about 10mins of sawing it will stall out unless you grab the throttle quick. If it dies, it won't start until after a few minutes again, but then it will die again.

I rebuilt the carb, new fuel filter, fuel hose, spark plug. These were all the cheap fixes, but it still has the same problem. I'm thinking coil. Any thoughts?

Upstatewoodchuc

Check compression. My stihl ms310 did exactly that until I realized it had 97psi of compression.....
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

4lane

When the compression was down, was that only when it wasn't running? Or did you check when it was running fine?

Mine runs like a boss when it's running - no hints of low compression when it's running.

Upstatewoodchuc

It was low overall, but once hot after a couple minutes of cutting and you checked it once it stopped running, that's when I got the 97psi. If you check it cold and you have anywhere from 120-150, it's probably fine, but if you can get it running long enough it's more accurate to check hot.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Vladislav500

Hi! Check spark on the cold saw and then on the hot one when dies and compare.
Husky 353 Black Custom
Poulan S25DA
Montgomery Ward Powr Kraft 5.0
Dayton 2Z563A
Craftsman: 2.0/14", 2.1/14" , 2.3/16"
Homelite: XL 12, 923, XP1020
Remington Mighty Mite 500
McCULLOCH: PM 310, Euromac PM 374,Euromac PM 480
Soviet ZID "The Beast" 245 Taiga

joe_indi

This usually happens when there is a fuel supply issue. Too much or too little
Try with a fresh pickup body after cleaning out the strainer in the carb. That should take care of the too little.
Check whether the metering level in the carb is too high.
It could also happen if you have accumulated saw dust on top of the metering diaphragm.
A wrongly adjusted L and Idle (LA)  screws could also cause it. Idle screw  turned in too much and L screw used to reduce the fast idle.
Move L screw to standard setting and adjust Idle screw to get a normal idle with hand off the throttle. Once the engine is warm, turn in L screw enough to get a faster idle and then back off Idle screw to get a normal idle

sailorross

i know this was a while back but did you figure out the problem ? I have a MS270C with exact same issues. Thanks, Ross

4lane

The issue was a bad coil. I replaced the coil and was back in operation. Good luck!

Thank You Sponsors!