iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sharpening blades for customers - what cleaing tool to be used

Started by MobileSawMilSlo, January 21, 2019, 04:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi

Does someone know with what cleaning tool Woodmizer or other re-sharp services are using to clean customer blades before sharpening and setting?

Some say to soak it with diesel fuel for few hours, some are cleaning them with the metal brush ...

But I am sure WM or other big company are not using this technique :)

In the USA you have apparently good product CMT 2050 but I would need something that can be affordable in for few gallons.

Thanks
Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

bandmiller2

Unless your sharpening fee allows for the time spent cleaning I would leave it up to the bands owner. Any solution that will remove pitch will be messy and require drying. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

Not sure but think Woodmizer Resharp uses a tank with a proprietary cleaning liquid.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tawilson

Woodmizer has a machine dedicated to it. They don't offer it for sale. But in the sharpener manual they say: "When using a Wood-Mizer wash tank,  blades are run through a cycle that cleans,  deburrs, and washes the blade in solvent.  The wash cycle also includes a set of rollers to pinch the blades to flatten and equalise the set.  This allows for the blades to be properly set during the setting process."
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

YellowHammer

I've visited the Resharp in Newnan Ga.  They are very professional and well equipped, but as Tawilson said, the one thing they use that I've never seen them sell is their special wire brush auto feed band cleaning machine.

It looks like an automatic setter or sharpener, with autofeed, but instead of a setting or sharpening head, it has spinning wire brushes, and oil applied at the band, and the bands come out very clean, or as clean as they can be.  Very nice machine, and if I was going to get into it commercially, I'd try to get them to sell or make me one.

The one thing I remember is how nasty some of the bands were that they were being asked to resharpen.  Some looked like they had simply been thrown on the ground in a big pile for a long time, to rust.  Some looked like they had been tossed into a mud puddle.  Some looked good, but were black with pitch, that even the wire brushes had trouble scraping off.

Some had the teeth knocked off.

Their steps were:
Wire/solvent clean and downset.
Sharpen
Set
Sharpen again to square the teeth up.  

If x number of teeth didn't meet the setting spec, measured automatically, then they would reject the band.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tacks Y

I bought a used wide belt sander and they had some pitch remover with it. It came in a gallon, spray on with a spray bottle let set 10 minutes and hose off. Works well on them, I will look to see what it is if you wish.

terrifictimbersllc

Wetting a band with diesel and letting it set awhile loosens a lot of crud to where it can just be wiped off.

Wetting with Industrial Purple cleaner and letting it set a few minutes is very effective, crud can just be sponged or hosed off after that stuff works for a few minutes.

Often thought I'd get a long plastic drywaller tray and put an inch of industrial purple in it to give an easy way to wet and rinse a band.  But I don't have enough of them needing this where I've done it yet. Could pour the cleaner back into a container if you wanted to.

The right size plastic swimming pool holding an inch or so of cleaner would be pretty effective, but not something you would want to leave unsupervised out of concern for children or wildlife.  

My go to method is to pull a band under a spinning cup brush pressed against a wood plate on a floor standing drill press.  Very fast.

But more lately I've been wiping bands off by hand as soon as I get home and hanging them up for resharpening. Most of them don't need much to get them clean.  

It is best not to let a bunch of dirty bands accumulate.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Sixacresand

I use a wire brush or scrape with a pocket knife if necessary.  Spraying with WD40 or wiping down with diesel helps.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

I use a 2" wide putty knife, do one side then invert and do the other side, working over the corner of my sharpening bench! 

Always works best for me when the blade is due to come off the mill, flood with soap and water lube before removing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MobileSawMilSlo

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Crusarius

Could use any of those solvents as the cutting fluid. They will offer a small amount of lubricant but will clean as you go. No sense adding extra steps if you can avoid it.

Thank You Sponsors!