iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw shuts down after a few minutes

Started by 1styear, February 03, 2016, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1styear

My chainsaw stops running, It starts when It us cold and then a few minutes later it shuts down.  I have cleaned the carb. and check the lines. I put in new fuel.  I need a old salt with chainsaw experience to lead me in the right direction of what could be wrong and hopefully a solution.
Know just enough to be dangerous.

OH logger

take the fuel cap off and listen if you hear anything like the tank wasn't venting right. ive ahd that vent go out before. what kinda saw is it?
john

deerslayer

Need more info. What brand and model? When you say a few minutes, do you mean like 4 minutes (several cuts?) or do you mean like 30 seconds? How long it stays running will help diagnose it. Does it run fine until it quits?
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

1styear

sthil ms 180c and also have 032 av sthil  I also check the fuel cap .  It runs for a few minutes and starts to die. have to keep the throttle engage or it will stop running. when it cools down it will start and die again.

limbwood

kinda sounds like coil is bad, possibly spark plug.

old2stroke

Are you saying that it will run at high speed as long as you keep the throttle somewhat open but dies as soon as you let it go back to idle?
Not too many saws.  Not enough storage space.

terrifictimbersllc

Agree check the plug by putting a new one in.  I had a Honda GX340 that did exactly what you describe and it was the spark plug.

Also see if the air filter smells like gas or is obviously wet with gas.  If so see if the saw runs with the air filter removed.  I had a Stihl 028 that spit gas out of the carb till it wet the filter then there wasn't enough air and it would stop.

Just 2 ideas above, I'm no expert, might well be something else.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

1styear

oldstoke, it will eventally shot down, I just am able to use it a bit longer.
I will try a new spark plug, I checked the air filter
I ordered a ignition coil
    thanks

deerslayer

Sounds like a fuel supply issue.
Fuel line, fuel filter, carb diaphragms, impulse hose, plugged carb screen, bad fuel, etc.
Doesn't sound like a coil/spark issue.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

BUGGUTZ

Had a saw in the fall, same issue. Coil was to blame, it would get hot pop a time or two and die. Went through entire fuel system, ran great then died. New coil and no more issues.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

joe_indi

Quote from: deerslayer on February 04, 2016, 07:17:41 PM
Sounds like a fuel supply issue.
Fuel line, fuel filter, carb diaphragms, impulse hose, plugged carb screen, bad fuel, etc.
Doesn't sound like a coil/spark issue.
I tend agree with that, given the symptoms described.
The next time the engine dies.
Remove the plug, pour in a capful of fuel into the cylinder.Pull the starter a couple of times to blow out the excess fuel. Fit the plug and try starting it. If it fires up for a couple of turns, 90% a fuel issue
Confirming is easy if you have another 180 handy. Just switch the carbs and test.
Joe

CTYank

Quote from: 1styear on February 04, 2016, 05:12:56 PM
oldstoke, it will eventally shot down, I just am able to use it a bit longer.
I will try a new spark plug, I checked the air filter
I ordered a ignition coil
    thanks

I hope you didn't order an ignition module through a stihl dealer, unless you're made of $. They can be had from vendors all over the planet for much less, like 90% less on occasion.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

CR888

Could it be when its cold, the seals (crank) are sealing but when its warm they fail as the case expands? Just a wild guess!! Tank vent as well is worth checking! Joe usually has more good ideas than bad so do what he says too.

Thank You Sponsors!