iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

muffler screens

Started by boss hoss, August 24, 2008, 07:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss hoss

if a guy was trying to cool his saw faster-would he pull the muffler screen?
i'm sure it would make it louder-but no problem-i wear ear protection all the time (peltor work tunes are good ear protection with music).
one thing i don't want to do is damaged the saw.
all input is appreciated.
thanks-the boss. 8) smiley_chop
IT TAKES TORQUE TO TACKLE TREES-DOES YOUR SAW HAVE A GEARBOX?

Rocky_J

Only if the screen is impeding airflow. Depending on the saw, some can get better airflow by simply removing the screen. Others, you need to enlarge the exhaust opening behind the screen. On most of my saws I enlarge the opening and then put the screen back in. On the Stihl 200T I simply pull out the screen insert and throw it away.

Engines are nothing but air pumps. If you allow better flow at the exhaust, then you're also getting better flow at the intake. That means that you probably need to adjust the carb settings so you don't burn up your saw by running it too lean. Here's a good link for instructions on adjusting your carb after you've modded the muffler.
http://www.madsens1.com/saw%20carb%20tune.htm

ComputerUser

I think the guy might want to enlarge the original outlet or add a second one in order to improve exhaust flow, and leave 'em covered with a screen so debris and vermin don't make their way into the saw!

Dan_Shade

also, make sure you don't burn the woods down....  (just stating the obvious)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Al_Smith

I don't use the screens myself .If you prefer to just increase the hole size a tad larger .It's just simpley a matter of preference .

sawguy21

Don't get caught on public land without the screen here. Forest Service takes a mighty dim view of fires.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Maybe private land too.I myself would not and have not done it.It's there for a reason,not just to slow down the saw if that's what you think.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

It depends on where you are at .

It would be rather difficult to set afire the hardwoods in these parts .That said though,no rain in 31 days is not the time to be cutting ,screen or no .

Nov. is the season to log in northwestern Ohio .

TexasTimbers

The forest service has resorted to randomly stopping loggers entering the woods, screening for screens. ::)

I can understand this law though. There are too many shadetree loggers who would not be prepared to put out a fire. Believe it or not I carry a fire extinguisher into the woods when I log in dry months. I don't always have it real handy as I can end up several hundred feet from my pad, and I sometimes forget it when i drop my bucket there upon enterning. But i do carry one and *usually* have it in the skid steer.

I bet most of you cannot say you carry one in. Tell the truth. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

zackman1801

we have a fire extinguisher in the P/U truck, one on the dozer on the landing, and another one on the skidder in the woods. the skidder goes in and out so the extinguisher isnt always there but its in the woods alot of the time and could probably get there quick enough to stop a small fire if we couldent get a handle on it ourselves. although this is a school operation so most of this stuff is required by the school for the students safety but its really a smart idea, a few bucks to buy one and stick it on the skidder could prevent a massive forest fire, or the destruction of your equipment should anything happen, ill take the few extra dollars and throw one in for good measure. if i never use it good, thats awesome, but if i ever did happen to need it id sure hope that when i reached for it it would be there.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Al_Smith

Well there is a lot to be said for a fire extinguisher .I burned up a perfecly good Lincoln Mk 5 for lack  of same . :(

isawlogs

I carry one in the truck , one on the skidder at all times . Very little investement for waht they could possibly save .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!