iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed about working with loggers-clear cutting woods for a pond

Started by GW, July 09, 2007, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Way to go, GW.  This is exciting to see a vision begin to come true.  Keep us posted ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Way cool, GW! 8) 8) 8)  Sounds like you did a great job in screening and selecting your crew.  That ol' JD is a sweet looking machine.  Got your message today.  I'll try to get up there in the early part of next week

Little tip for ya...look over that saw-guy's shoulder while he's sharpening his saw chain.  I bet he can put ya on the right track in that department. ;D  I might watch him when I come up, too. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GW

Roger that DanG, I didn't miss a sharpening.  :)  I also noticed the chips he was throwing and they were long and perdy. 

GW

Don K

Nice loader for a small operation. If you get a chance, please get a few more pics of their operation.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

It's good to see things starting to happen.Seems odd to see a skidder with no chains on it.I realize the chains are not needed as much as around here in my neck of the woods.I am driving by a logging site now and the logger is not running chains on a grapple skidder.Most all logger equipment has chains on them.I do hope every thing turns out the way you want it.Those cable skidders are getting to be a rare thing around here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GW

Thanks thecfarm. The forester we're working with said this is the last crew he knows of that works on this scale. They aren't averaging more than 2 loads/day. There isn't much more to show of their operation, a chainsaw and a tractor trailer are the only other tools they're using. It may not be much to cut in a day, but these 3 guys don't have any payroll, they just split the money between themselves. 

Don K

Now that's a low impact skid trail. Not much bigger than a mid size tractor, unlike what most of these big high production grapple skidders do to the land. You made a good decision in my book GW in the overall scheme of things you want for ya'lls land.

Looks like a nice load of plylogs going on that truck.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

GW

Thanks Don K,  at the end of the first week of logging I think I can say that these guys are humble hard working people. They are going out of their way to make sure they understand exactly what I want. At some points we consulted on a tree by tree basis.

I like the way the skidder trail enters the pond site and I'll just have to widen it a little and give it some curve to make the permanent road. 

It looks like we'll get 6 or 7 loads of pine saw timber and maybe that much in hardwood saw logs. I have Cindy prepared to net around $3000 but I'm thinking it will be 3 or 4 times that amount. Sure beats paying someone to cut it down and burn it!

WDH

GW,

You have done a good job.  Every thing seems very congenial; even the pine trees wear hats :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GW

Most of the big pines have been harvested. I'm guessing that this is a load of hardwood saw timber. :P

beenthere

GW
No offence meant, but not my idea of sawlogs on that load.  Wonder what others think? 
At best, pulp wood or something for the chipper.

If ya put a straight saw line through those logs, ya end up with two slabs, and that's about all.  ;D ;D ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GW

Chopsticks! I meant chopsticks.  :-\

No offense at all beenthere, I know I'm ignant about trees.

Could it be pallet wood?

WDH

Phorester

Looks like more than one log is hollow, at least the butts.  Mabye it's a load of hardwood culverts.  ;D  We grow some of those up here too.

GW

Sprucegum

I envy you your time in the woods with those "old hands", can't think of a better way to spend a day.

Thank You Sponsors!