iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging now, milling trees later?

Started by djkarl, April 14, 2009, 12:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkarl

Hi All,

This is my first post and it is a question.

Short version:

If I log some white oak trees now, can I use them for timbers in a few months?

Long version:

I’ll give the long version to answer some questions in advance and give rationale.

I’m selling my house and the 10 acres it sits on.
   The land has about 15 white oak trees which are 16” in diameter about 5’ above the ground.  They are approx 90’ trees and are probably at least 12” in diameter about 24’ up.
   I’m getting ready to build a new house, but the new land was logged by the previous owners (i.e. no trees for me).
   It is quite likely I’ll have timber frame type trusses in my new great room and perhaps the master bed room (MBR).  I don’t know if I will build these trusses or buy them.  If I don’t timber frame the MBR now, I’ll likely timber frame (i.e. faux timber frame) it at some point.
   I’m a professional woodworker, but I’ve never done timber framing.  So, I’ll have to learn timber framing if I want to make these trusses myself.
   I haven’t completed the design of the house, so I don’t know exactly what logs I would need to create a truss.  It is likely the great room will have approx a 22’ span for the bottoms chords.  The MBR trusses will likely have about a 14’ span.  I don’t know what size logs are typically used for such a span.  Can I get them out of a 12”-16” log?  What about sap wood, knots, etc?  I somewhat like king post trusses, but I’m open to other types.  If my current house takes long enough to sell, I’ll probably have time to cut my own hammer beam trusses.
   Ideally I would wait a couple months, finish the design of the house and then cut the trees I need.  However, these trees are tightly nestled in a mature forest.  They could easily hang up when I cut them.  Having said that, it makes a lot more sense to cut them before too many more leaves get on the trees.  I’m thinking of dropping them in less than a week.
   I don’t have access to a pond to store the logs.
   I’m fairly experienced in air drying wood.
   When I typically dry lumber, I paint the ends of the logs or use anchor seal immediately.  I also saw the logs within a week or two after felling.  I get very few end checks.  I’d hate to plan to use all these logs for timber framing… only to change my mind and then find out the end checks are so bad I can’t saw into decent lumber either.  I wonder if putting plastic bags over the ends of the logs would make any difference.
   I’m assuming I would cut the logs, seal the ends and postpone my decision (for a few months) about creating beams or furniture lumber.

Anybody have any advice?  I hope I remembered all the details.

Thanks,

Don

okie

In short, to the logging and milling questions, Yes you could absolutely do that. There is no reason you couldn't fell the trees now and mill them in a couple months (especially with the trees being white oak) as long as you take precautions. Definitely seal the ends and elevate the logs. I use used RR ties for this stacked 2 high and pinned with rebar. I also would use grass and weed killer on the area where the logs are staged to keep weeds and such from growing up in the logs and effectively removing most of the reason you elevate the logs. You might also spray the logs with a borate solution if you live in a very hot and humid and or bug infested region. Just my $.02.
There are a slew of timber framing Guru's on here to add to these and your other questions.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: djkarl on April 14, 2009, 12:02:55 AM
If I log some white oak trees now, can I use them for timbers in a few months?

As mentioned, yes with proper storage methods used. Bags over the end may not do as much as proper application of Anchorseal.

QuoteI haven't completed the design of the house.......

Complete the design so you know what you're doing.....

QuoteCan I get them out of a 12"-16" log?

Until you know the design you can't figure this out, as you don't know what you need.

QuoteWhat about sap wood, knots, etc?

Ideally, a timber should be heartwood only, but some sap wood on the corners shouldn't diminish the strength. Knots would effect strength values.

Good luck with your research.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ljmathias

In fact, a few months ago I milled a 36" diameter white oak that had fallen over three years ago- branches kept it up off the ground but still significant degrade of the sapwood.  Have to say, though, that the degrade was in the form of spalting which resulted in some of the most beautiful wood I've ever cut.  Made some benches that are liked by the family a lot, and have a bunch more cut into 4/4 rough that I'll plane down for furniture.  Not saying you should wait that long with your logs, but hey, we all know how time gets away from us, right?  In fact, now that it's almost 2008, I'm getting ready to decide who to vote for....

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!