iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drill bit drifting in Douglas Fir

Started by Gilman, April 08, 2009, 04:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

When drill peg holes in douglas fir I've been having a problem with the drill bit drifting from it's desired location.  The sloped annual rings can push the bit quite a bit when starting an auger bit.  Anybody have a method(s) for fixing this problem?

David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Dave Shepard

Are you using a screw lead bit? I'm surprised that it would wander. Perhaps one of the cutters has been damaged?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Gilman

Yep, it was a screw type lead. I ended up with a shear failure in one of my braces from an extremely misplaced peg hole.  I conveniently didn't take a picture of that joint.

I don't have the clothes line wires strung yet

Oh, I forgot to mention that I found my drain field when drilling the post holes.   >:(

Jim_Rogers

And/or one of the bit's wings could be sharper then the other..... which could cause the bit to wander off....
Also, what device are you using to bore the holes? boring machine, bit and brace, power drill?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Gilman

Rooster

Are you using a ship auger bit with one flute?    How long is the bit?
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

matt eddy

I have good luck drilling with the Irwin double spur ship auger bits.  I use a Milwaukee drill to power the 18" long bit.  Drill stands help, however I have recently been proved wrong of there accuracy.  Sometimes in squirrelly wood I will drill my mortises from both sides.  Without a stand I drill tenons after there cut, but still draw bore them.  If using Scott Northcott pegs I drive all pegs with caution, hence why I try to make all my own now.  With a hand made peg you can always find one that will fit in the hole.  Good luck...

Keep making sawdust!!
Matt ..... Pine Tree Timber frames

Jim_Rogers

Gilman:
Were you drilling peg holes or hogging out wood for a mortise?

Gilman

Both Jim,
But the problem part was with the accuracy of the peg hole locations. 

Jim_Rogers

Well, of course, I hope you know, that all peg holes should be drilled from the layout side of the timber.
That way they should stay straight and true as it goes through the first side of the mortise, and then beyond the mortise it really doesn't matter if it does wander off.....

And if you're draw boring, then place the tenon in the mortise after the mortise peg hole is bored and just poke a tip point into the tenon to show you where exactly the hole would be if you were boring straight on.

Then offset the hole in the tenon, correctly.

This is the standard procedure and if the peg hole beyond the mortise isn't totally in the right place then, again, it really doesn't matter that much.

Also, all pegs are inserted and driven in from the layout side/reference side of the timber.

Jim Rogers

ljmathias

Hey, I didn't know that about drilling peg holes- you probably told us already and I just forgot.  Another reason to keep reading what's on the forum- memory relapses and rebuilding...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Gilman

No I didn't Jim, but I do now. :-[

Thanks for the advice

Jim_Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!