iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is my future sawing only as a hobby?

Started by opticsguy, September 12, 2016, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Having access to literally hundreds of trees at my back door and a manual mill, I have somewhat gotten myself into trouble. I simply have too much wood. Since this is a hobby, how much more wood can I cut and use in a lifetime?  Already a stack of lumber and slabs or should I say, way too many stacks of lumber and slabs around my house. 20% undercover, the rest sticker-ed and stacked outside in the elements.  Yet I love to open up very interesting trees, spaulted and straight grained and 1/4 sawn and ..... so much variety.
NO, not interested in selling wood and dealing with that part of the market.
Yes, I do give some away. Friends and family and...
Should i just keep cutting or sell off my saw?  or? 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

JustinW_NZ

Find a murchant to sell cut wood too?

you get to keep sawing without running out of room then :)
(and get your fuel paid for!)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

4x4American

Just sell some lumber, than you can justify doing what you like to do, plus, now it's not going to go to waste.  Plus, you can cherry pick your favorite pieces out of logs and sell the rest.  Or do what I do and sell the best stuff and keep the stuff that dont sell for myself lol
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

If you like cutting, you should figure a way to keep cutting...I dont see your situation as a problem....If you dont want to sell, find a place to store it all...instead of being a crazy cat hoarder, you can be a crazy lumber hoarder....besides the exercise is good for you.....and all the younger guys will point and whisper when you go by saying "Thats the crazy old s.o.b. with all the wood"  ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Kbeitz

If you dont like the selling part just hual a load every so offten to the auction.
They will sell it for you.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

I don't know the market on your side of the pond.

But over here, fully dried, not roten, good quality wood sells well.

If you have means to make a big barn, are sure to have insects away. And you have kids. You could do them a nice inheritance for the future (may it be far far away)

For example, if you would do 100 cubic meters of good quality wood here, you would easily get 50000€ for it. It's not that hard to make even for a hobby sawyer i would think. If given to them discretely. They could even avoid tax  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Bill Ragosta

I hear ya.  I don't even have a mill yet, and I'm asking myself what I'll do with the wood.  I sit on over 100 acres with some nice timber and I really just like wood and like seeing the videos of a nice log being opened up.  I keep telling myself that I want/need a mill as a "hobby", but to what end?  I do work on wood a little bit, but I'm not furniture maker and could never use all that I cut and don't really know that I want to be bothered by selling it.  Like I said, I hear ya.

thecfarm

Hobby sawing,hobby farming. That will take up some lumber in buildings to house the chickens,pigs,goats,sheep,horses,cows,geese,ducks.   ;D  :D
Sell off your mill  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o
Use some of that lumber to get what you have sawed undercover.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

red

There must be some local organization that could use some of this wood. If you donate or sell it is your business. Churches, schools, boy scouts, local elks club, park commission for picnic tables, little league for benches even Habitat for Humanity. Any group that could make bird houses , storage sheds even Out Houses . Have a Great Day
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

killamplanes

If u weren't so far away I could take some of that lumber of ur hands :D ;D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

John S

Try your local vocational school.  I am sure that their carpentry/cabinet shops would be interested.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Sixacresand

At one time my focus was milling "for the sport of it".  But I soon outgrew my ability to shelter lumber or use it.  So, I try not to mill ahead of my need any more.  I do enjoy milling other people's logs.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I saw as a hobby.  We saw logs, have a good time, and I laugh all of the way to the bank.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Quote from: Magicman on September 13, 2016, 11:29:24 AM
I saw as a hobby.  We saw logs, have a good time, and I laugh all of the way to the bank.   :D

Lynn,
You sir are a quitter. And a fine sawyer. And a leaver.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 13, 2016, 02:04:56 AM
If you dont like the selling part just hual a load every so offten to the auction.
They will sell it for you.

Several good suggestions here including donating to a votec school but I like this one from kbeitz the best.

Another option to delay the inevitable is to use some of the wood to build more wood storage sheds then fill them up. Then ask this same question again.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sealark37

The formula for success in any business:  "Early to bed, early to rise, pay your debts, and ADVERTISE". 

YellowHammer

Quote from: red on September 13, 2016, 07:54:26 AM
There must be some local organization that could use some of this wood. If you donate or sell it is your business. Churches, schools, boy scouts, local elks club, park commission for picnic tables, little league for benches even Habitat for Humanity. Any group that could make bird houses , storage sheds even Out Houses . Have a Great Day
smiley_thumbsup
It depends if you want the money or not.  If you want to saw for the enjoyment of it, but don't want the hassle of selling, why not do as Red says and find rewarding places to donate the wood you don't want to keep?  We donate a fair amount of wood, and it is one of the more enjoyable things about owning a business.  Giving something (time, product) to someone who really needs it is a great hobby sawing goal.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

justallan1

I agree with Red 100%. Donating to the schools, 4H, FFA and the Scouts is probably a tax write off also.
Another idea would be to get in touch with your local Rusty Zipper Gang. These folks live to help out people in need and cheap or free wood benefits everyone. You're getting to do what you love, you are giving a great group of guys a chance to help more people and you are basically helping someone in need when possibly that is the only way they would get it.
Some things that I do is donate different things that I make to Toys for Tots or the local Christmas Tree program and donate cribbage boards to some of the benefit auctions. I help Toys for Tots simply because I was one of those kids once upon a time. Donating to a benefit auction is two sided. It helps someone out and is free advertising, I give away one board and sell 10 or more because of it. ;D

deepsouth.us

Good suggestions above.

Here's my proposed plan and order of business.
1. Keep some
2. Give some
3. Since you don't want to fool with sales, find a Sawyer in your area who does. Have him pick up a load once a month, every other month, whatever. Give him a deal. He's happy, and you have some pocket change to cover operating expenses and a few cups of coffee. You'd deal with one guy several times per year rather than jockying customers and such.
Timberking 2000

drobertson

I to or should I say did end up with extra lumber sitting around, I too find it hard to rid of stock at times, what I have sorta discovered on hording, is make your hord piles of usable common sizes, with a litre mention here and there folks will be showing up giving you some extra pocket cash
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clintnelms

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 13, 2016, 02:09:55 PM

Another option to delay the inevitable is to use some of the wood to build more wood storage sheds then fill them up. Then ask this same question again.
[/quote]

I like this suggestion the best lol.

Thank You Sponsors!