iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prentice loader

Started by martinf, August 12, 2009, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinf

I've got a older Prentice loader, a 120, that leaks real bad in numerous places.  I'm a pretty expereinced heavy equip mechanic and know my way around hydraulics.  I want to fix all the leaks and am wondering what is the cehapest way to do this.  Is there a place I can get seal kits for this and just do it all in my shop, or is it, all said and done, cheaper/better to ust bring in the cylinders to a hydraulic shop?

thanks for any advice here
martin~

farmboy1tn

i know here in knoxville tn there is a bussiness that sells every thing to rebuild cylinders that i needed so far, case dozer and backhoe. just took cylinders in and they matched everything i needed

adirondack harvester

You definitely can do it on your own.  I just repacked all my cylinders on my Hood loader and saved a small fortune.  For example: The two grapple cylinders would have cost me about $500-$600 to have a shop do them.  I got the seal kits and did it myself for $90.  I also did the larger main and stick boom cylinders right on the machine and that probably saved over $1,000.  Just get a friend who doesn't mind getting a little oil on them and you are all set.

Sawyerfortyish

You can do it yourself but beware some of the parts needed are only available from prentice and are made only for prentice and arn't availble elswhere. I rebuilt the turret collector where half spins and the other half does not. Those plastic and rubber parts must be heated slightly in oil to allow them to slip over and into the correct spot  As for cylinders you may be able to get packing from other companies. But for the turret you must go to a Prentice dealer.

martinf

Great, thanks for the good info.  I'll give it a go.  SInce so many cylinders are needing work, I'm gonna just lift the entire loader off my Mack truck with my old NW crane, lay it on the ground and then take it apart from there.  Sound reasonable?
~martin

ScottAR

Absolutely a DIY job.  Have done two on my backhoe.
Need to do a third.  My kit from the dealer was about $20 per
cylinder.  I dunno how your cylinders come apart. Mine the entire
end of the cylinder (gland) unscrewed and then the rest was
accessible.
I needed/wanted the correct tools for my job.
gland nut wrench $80 ish 
3/4" drive breaker bar. $50 ish
Large sockets to remove the bolt on the end of the chrome ram. $??
(I bought a set)
Large snap ring pliers. $30 ish
6ft cheater pipe. $15 ish

It's not complicated, but everything is heavy and all the new
parts need to be kept clean for reassembly.  Heat the bolts on
end of the cylinder ram, they likely have thread locker on them.

I broke the 3/4" breaker bar above learning this  ::)
I have a couple pics of my process if I can figure it out. 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Banjo picker

The 742 grapple on my prentice has started to leak a little....i am going to give it a try also....When you pick up a pretty good size log you have to hold the lever down or it will start to let the log slip a little...Those look like they would be pretty easy to tackle...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!