iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

455 Husqvarna

Started by kenskip1, October 03, 2010, 10:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

I went to a local Tractor supply Friday and they had a  new 455 18BC for less than $400.This is a reasonable amount in my book. I would like to know if any members have this model and their opinions, both favorable or not.I will be cutting mesquite and oak, generally 10-16 inch diameter.Does this saw have enough power to pull a longer bar?Thanks, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

ladylake

A Husky 346xp is a pro saw for around $100 more or less with a lot more quality, more power and lighter .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cut4fun

Husky 455 is the husky version of the stihl 290 homeowner, farm use saws.  Yes they will work and cut, yes they weigh 2 lbs more PHO then mag cased counterpart. 455 13.??LBS weighs almost as much as the husky 362xp 365 special and 372xp 13.6lbs PHO. The 365 65cc was going for $499 PHO recently. That was a buy IMO.

okie

I have had a 460 for 6 years and am well pleased with it.  From what I understand, it is a slight step up from the 455 so they are probably similar. My saw does really well with an 18" bar and cuts fine with a 24, just not as fast.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

northwoods1

That is about the only non xp model Husqvarna that I would buy. You can put a longer bar on them (up to "24 I think they claim) but it might not pull something like that in Mesquite & Oak I wouldn't go over a 20". A friend who works at a dealer just said he bought one for $305 that was dealer cost. The extra money for a smaller displacement xp model is well worth it, totally different higher rpm/ hp saws, lighter and made for heavy continual use.

okie

My 460 has pulled the 24" bar through several 30+" red and white oaks. I would really like to see what the xp saws are like. I think my next saw will be a dolmar / makita though. That is if I ever wear my current saw out .
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

John Mc

The closest XP saw to your 460 would probably be the 357XP. Almost 20% more power, and about a half pound lighter.

I own a 357 XP that I bought used. It's a great saw for my purposes... but it runs about $230 more than the 460 new.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

Other NON XP's  that are built on XP crankcases that I would take over a 455 plastic crankcase saw. 359 365 , just as of late, seen 359's for $439-$499 and 365 $499-$599 now.

PineNut

I have both a 455 Rancher and a 357. The 357 is a better saw. Has more power and is lighter. Run a 20-inch bar on both of them. The 455 I have has a tool less arrangement for chain adjustment. As a result, it only has one bar nut, which is difficult to get tight. It depends on the adjustment screw to help hold the tension on the bar. When the adjustment screw broke, the bar would not stay tight enough to use the saw. So I bought a 357 and now have two saws

rockman

Last year when we were broken into and my 24 year old rancher 50 was stolen along with alot of other stuff. Anyway, the insurance company replaced the rancher 50(no longer made) with a rancher 455. The first one they sent me had the quick adjust dohicky thing for the side cover, I sent it back and demanded the "regular" side cover. When I bought the rancher 50 in the mid 80's it was a homeowner saw, I used it for firewood, clearing trees etc. and it was a great saw for me. I have no doubt the 455 will be equally as good for what I need a chainsaw for, so far it has been a good saw.
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Thank You Sponsors!