iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new gun today

Started by smwwoody, November 09, 2002, 07:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Mark,
It's interesting you mentioned Indians and Switzerland.I live beside a reserve,and Harry,a native indian in his 70s, will take any Bear I shoot.(not many,if possible)He eats the meat and takes the claws&teeth.

The other person who has taken one,is Dani.He is about my age,and is Swiss.He has said exactly the same thing you've mentioned about Switzerland,and the military.I know the same was true when I visited my cousins in Norway a few years back.After their 2 years,they would go back for 2 weeks a year for training.They all had weapons in their homes,and some of the older ones could remember being occupied during the War.

I don't have any recipies for Bear,but have been to Dani's for supper,and his wife did a great job of it.I have heard that the lard rendered from Bear is excellant.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Mark M

Hi Paul

Yep bear grease is great stuff. I once saw a show on TV where an old guy from down in New Mexico was using it to predict the weather by watching the patterns that form in the grease. I rendered down a bunch but mine just turned solid when I put  it on the window sill because it was too cold. It's a beautiful clear amber color and looks nice in a canning jar setting in the window. I used to use it on my boots to keep them soft. The meat is good eating but the trick is to par boil it in water, drain the water, wash the meat and pan, and then repeat 2 more times. The fat has a bad taste and you have to get rid of it. After that my mom would break it into small chunks, put it on a cookie sheet, cover with brown sugar, onions, and barbeque sauce and the bake at about 375F for a hour. There is nothing better!

The last bear we had was back in 1986, the game warden had to shoot one because it had became a nuisance at the resorts. It was a nice year-old sow that weighed about 150 lbs. He dropped it off about 10:00 o'clock at night, gutted it, and helped me hang it in the garage. The next day my dad came over to help me butcher it. While we were waiting for my dad I took my son, who was then six, out to show him the bear. When my dad got there the boy came in and got his mom's paring knife. My dad said "where you going with that knife" to which my son replied "I'm going out to peel me that bear!"

Have a good weekend

Mark

Jeff

HEY! I got an exploding wedge for trade on the for sale board. No permit required!I think
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I get Black Bear now and again from the families I saw for next to the Okeefenokee Swamp.  None have talked about parboiling but they are careful about which cuts they eat. All I've ever had was cut up into 1 or 2 inch cubes or a 5 lb roast and cooked in a pan in the oven with onions and potatoes and carrots like a Beef pot roast.   Man it's good and tastes a lot like beef .......but not quite. ;D

DanG

Noble_Ma, I admire you for sticking to your guns ::) on this issue, even though I disagree with you. Could you come up with some statistics on the shootings in your state, that reflect the percentage of incidents that involve stolen guns?
I don't think you have any greater ethnic diversity there, than we do in this area. My county is 58% Black, and 16% Mexican. There are a few Indian, Arab, and Oriental families, as well. Something over 90% of the violent crimes, here, are committed by Blacks. Leon County, where Tallahassee is located has a Black population of about 25%, and over 90% of violent crimes are committed by Blacks there, too. Statistically, almost 100% of shootings are done with stolen firearms. Gun control laws have zero effect on this segment of the firearms trade.
We don't have a gun problem, but rather a massive social problem in a major portion of our society.
I don't have a problem with the 3 day wait on handgun purchases. There have been a few crimes of passion, where newly purchased guns were used, and if this will prevent some of them, I'm all for the cooling off period.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

Better watch it Jeff.  The Exploding Wedge Service is apt to crack down hard on ya. :D ;D ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

I had an exploding wedgie, once. :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

There's a waiting period Jeff.   We'll talk to you next week sometime. :D

Noble_Ma

DanG, I  was trying to explain why this state has such tough gun laws.  Being a law abiding citizen, I don't have a problem with applying for a FID or LTC permit.  I do believe that felons and people with restraining orders shouldn't have guns.  Once you commit a felony, you should lose your right to own a gun.  Just like prisoners shouldn't have the freedoms that they have in prison.  Once we get our permits there is no waiting period to purchase firearms.  As far as having references, most employers ask for them too.  I think I would like to know something about a person before I sign his permit to carry a weapon.  

Noble, I didn't voter for any of the Kennedy's either.  The key word here is vote.  I've never missed voting since I registered at 18.  I consider voting to be the most precious right I have as an American.  

Bro. Noble

Hey Guys,

Don't look now , but I think we are all on the same side!!!

Wouldn't have expected anything else from such a level headed bunch ;D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Larry

A lot of good thoughts about freedom, gun control, and voting but there is one more thing that can be done to protect our rights.  Get the young ones involved!!  So many people live in urban areas anymore they will never have the opportunity to own a gun much less use it.  If you get just a few hooked on competitive shooting they will support firearm ownership for life.   On my farm I have a 50-yard rimfire range, 100-yard range, and small bore  silhouettes set up along with hi-power swinging targets at 340 yards.  I get everyone I can to come out and do a little shooting.  You ought to see the eyes light up on a 13 year old when they hit their first chicken on the smallbore silhouette.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Jeff

This thread has turned to the talk of rights so this is probably a dandy place to post this.

http://www.freep.com/news/locmac/flag7_20030207.htm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

We have something similar to what Larry talked about on our farm (except we don't let our chickens sit on the silhouettes ;D) There are so few places to go, except joining a gun range, to shoot even in rural Iowa. It also educates the younger ones that have only shot at ranges when I fill up gallon milk jugs and freeze them what a gun can do to someone. It's not like on TV where they get up and walk away into the sunset.  I hope Noble_MA doesn't feel like he has to defend anything he's doing exactly what more people should be, teaching the next generation about the safe use of firearms.

Noble_Ma

You know Norm_F that's why I first replied to this post.  I was asking the Forum members about their thoughts on what gun to buy for my son.  The same members that posted their opinions on gun laws were also the first guys to post what they thought about guns.  That's what's so great about this forum, people are willing to talk and offer their experience.  I actually took their advice to heart and made a purchase based on what was said here.  

I just wanted to add one more thing to the gun law subject.  At the gun club that I belong to, we have monthly meeting that discuss the gun laws in our state as well as other club issues.  We have a committee that brings the members up to speed with any new laws as well as pending laws.  They also let us know about the politicians that are sponsoring them along with their office phone numbers.  We actually call these guys and let them know that they are in our district and we don't like or like their laws.  That's about all we can do to do our part on this matter.

Tom

Your right Other Noble.  Involvement is the crux of the whole argument for freedom.  We can all complain till the chickens roost and get no where. Staying involved and especially staying in touch with the elected officials who get done what we want done, is the only way to go.

hawby

Great thread guys. I had not been able to read much lately, well cause I gotta work 12 hour days to pay some politicians' pension fund.

First, my Granddady left me:
1) 1892 Winchester .2520 (Great varmint gun, made $150 one Summer killin' woodchucks on a dairyfarm)
2) 1894 Winchester .3030 octogon barrel (Just like all them cowboys had  :) )
3) A Ithaca double barrel 20 ga.shotgun. (Best gun you could ever want for grouse and bunnies. Little light for pheasants, but if your quick....)

$5million and they can be yours 8)

As for the talk about ownership rights.... I have a tough time even comprehending someone trying to take my right to bear arms away. I take it from the tone of voice in some of these posts that we would have a downright ugly time of it should someone be foolish enough to try.

One thought about Mr. Kennedy and his possible desire to see gun control... I sympathize with his loss of two brothers. Of course, maybe we should outlaw cars, bridges, and booze as well.

Lastly, I'll give up my flag when they pry my cold dead fingers.....

klh

PS: Michigan hasn't gone so far left that they would outlaw guns....yet.

Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

Texas Ranger

Just a Texas observation.  Texas has a shall issue Concealed Handgun License, no permit involved.  Good for four years and politicians have little impact on it.  You take course work, study the law, and show proficience with handgun of choice.  Once issued the License cuts out the back ground check for the feds, in that Texas performs a more intense one for the license.  about 2% of Texans hold that license.

Texas has a prison population that reflects that of others that have talked here, it is a social problem, not a firearms problem.  Besides, when you can kill 100 people with fire in a subway, or 30 with pepper sprey, the guns become less of a problem.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ADfields

Arizona and Alaska are also "shall issue" states like Texas but do things even beter as thay have open cary laws so I can go where ever I want with my .454 on my hip with NO permit.   The way I see it that IS freedom and when the gOOberment has sutch fear of it's subjects that it wants to disarm them it's no longer "of the people"!   Dont mater how agenst the law you make guns the thugs of the world will still have them.   Thay make guns right INSIDE prison walls all the time right under the nose of all the gards and do a fair job so it's just not real world to think gun laws can do aney good at keeping them from outlaws hands.   I dont see that guns have ever been a problem, thay are just a tool that can kill if misused but so is a chain saw and meny other things.   Soon will we need a license to buy a new chain saw?   The way we are heading now I think so. ::)
Andy

RobK

If only the whole nation had Vermont's laws -- no license required to carry, concealed or not, and you can carry anywhere. Vermont is surely no hotbed of crime and mayhem.

Indiana has been a "shall-issue" state for as long as I can remember and we have some pretty easy requirements to get the permit. Pass the background check, be fingerprinted, and pay $25 and you're good to go for four years. I remember an Indianapolis TV station did a news story about who had carry permits some years back. They got hold of a list of carry permit holders and it was mostly doctors, lawyers, engineers, pharmacists, and house wives.

The best thing America could do to eliminate violent crime would be to repeal all gun-control laws. Patrick Henry said it best: "The great object is that every man be armed..."
-Rob

Lenny

I got an idea where Ray Sealens can stick that big flaypole :-X
New hampshire has some ok carry laws.No permit for handguns as long as it`s not concealed or loaded in a vehicle.With a $10 Fee and a ck with the local law You can get a 4 year carry permit.You can carry loaded concealed anywhere except a school,courtroom or federal building.No safty coarses or fingerprinting. usally takes 2 or 3 days.The first one I got I didn`t even have an ID.Just a phone and electric bill to show my resedence.
Noble
 I have both the 97 featherweight,97 ultra fearterweight and the 870 express. My kids (7-16 years old) like the 97`s over the 870 because of the shorter stock and are much lighter and easier for them to handle.They are also bottom load and bottom eject so they are good for left and right handed shooters.I do reload on the light side for the younger kids, About 1050fps with 1oz of # 71/2 does fine ;)
                             Lenny

Noble_Ma

Lenny,

I bought a Remington 1187 Premier for my son at Christmas.  He's done real well with it at trap shooting.  I brought my Dad's 40+ year old JC Higgins 12 ga two weeks ago and my son shot that for the night.  At the end of the night he told me that he would shoot Poppy's gun and I could shoot his for now.  It was good to see he had respect for my dad's old gun.  He actually shot well with it.  The only problem is the stock butt is a little hard and doesn't offer much give.  I'm looking into getting a new butt for it.  

james

cant remember what state it was but just until a few years ago whan a man was released from prison the law said they had to give him a horse or a mule with a saddle , 20$gold and a 30-30 rifle maby az  :P

Thank You Sponsors!