iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Cant Hook slipped and this is what happened.....

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 25, 2012, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Rolling a 24" Cedar Log up a embankment. I did not set the cant hook in properly and as I moved the handle forward, the hook slipped out and here came the log! The Cedar had 2 small knots on it and guess where they lined up? YEP! Right on the 'Ol Shin. It gouged the meat out of my leg and the skin was hanging on the 2 knots. I was flopping around on the ground like a Bass on hot pavement!  8) DanG blood going every where!

Got to be MORE CAREFUL!  ;D

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Papa1stuff

Things like that happen to me every time I get near logs,boards or most anything else!I bet I gave at least a pint every year ,maybe  more ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

beenthere

Ouch!
That is rare for a LogRite to slip. Sorry to see that leg injury.
Now, a good place for chaps. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

Ouch!, David.  :( Sorry that happened. Glad it wasn't an oak. but then you wouldn't have been rolling an oak that size uphill.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on June 25, 2012, 06:25:31 PM
Ouch!
That is rare for a LogRite to slip. Sorry to see that leg injury.
Now, a good place for chaps. :)

I was not using a Logrite  ::)......I was using a 4 foot wooden handle log cant I bought on sale at the local hardware store.  :D  I bought it before I knew about Logrites. I should have been using my Logrite!!!!!
Live and learn.  smiley_swinging_board

Ga Mtn Man

David-That makes my shin hurt just thinking about it (and thanks for the pics right before diner ::)).  I prescribe three days R&R. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Delawhere Jack

Ouch! But it could have been worse. If your foot got pinned you could have a broken shin or a torn up knee.

You've earned a good sit down and a beer or six..........

slider

Those are some scary looking legs .I think I would have just told the story and left the pix off.Spray it with some purple dog medicine and get back to work.
al glenn

John_Haylow

Ouch that looks sore. Keep the polysporin to it.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Magicman

Ouch !!!   If you plan to get old with all of your parts, ya gotta take better care of yourself.  Those wooden handled things can't cant.  Logrites can cant.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: slider on June 25, 2012, 07:19:12 PM
Those are some scary looking legs .I think I would have just told the story and left the pix off.Spray it with some purple dog medicine and get back to work.

:D :D :D :D My wife says the gouge marks are an improvement. I had to post a pic......just to prove it happened, that's the rule.  :D

Can't wait to here from SteamSawyer and WDH......Geeeeeee!

steamsawyer

Carefull there Davey... That bark on your shins gets thinner with age.

I used to tell my boys when they were little, Rubb a little dirt in it... It will feel better when it quits hurting, now go back to playing.

Come on back down to Florida for some R&R.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

steamsawyer

Can you hear me now??

Go down and read my signature.... About the great minds...

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

snowshoveler

All I am going to say is a buddy of mine wears shin guards any time he goes near a pile of wood.
Some people would have a very bad time if scared up like that.
Take care of your self .
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

MotorSeven

"I was not using a Logrite  ......I was using a 4 foot wooden handle log cant I bought on sale at the local hardware store.    I bought it before I knew about Logrites. I should have been using my Logrite!!!!!"

I must have the same wooden handled cant hook(bought it in Vermont). That dang thing has put me on my butt more times than I can count and was the main reason I bought a Logrite....

Should we have a wood handled cant hook burning? :D
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

b dukes

Almost the same thing happened to me., I didn't get hurt bad though , but i did get a nasty bruise. The next day I ordered two logrites. 

kgbond

Orders for logrite hooks just jumped 70%
Sorry for your leg, you will be walking like Chester
For a few days

WDH

Spray it with some purple dog medicine.

Who could beat that advice  :D. 

The only problem is that I bet that you do not have any purple dogs, or any medicine specifically for purple dogs.  So, if you have any brown dog medicine, try that  hurt_smiley.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 25, 2012, 09:24:58 PM
Spray it with some purple dog medicine.

Who could beat that advice  :D. 

The only problem is that I bet that you do not have any purple dogs, or any medicine specifically for purple dogs.  So, if you have any brown dog medicine, try that  hurt_smiley.

Yes, I am walking like Chester and I have NEVER heard of PURPLE DOG MEDICINE!

And if I had some PURPLE DOG MEDICINE, I'd be scared to use it for fear it would make me lay out in the wood yard and lick my......my......uh......wounds. Yeh, that's right....wounds.  :D

Peter Drouin

To bad you gut hurt. the old pv just needs to be sharpen. like all wood working tools :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

David,

That is a visibly disturbing image that you conjured up  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 25, 2012, 10:00:51 PM
David,

That is a visibly disturbing image that you conjured up  :D.

Yeh,  :D , You should feel this image on my side.  :(

WDH

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Wood is a difficult substance to deal with. 

If you did tell me that you had some purple dogs, I would suspect that you were messing around with more than wood  :).

Okrafarmer

That purple dog stuff is actually blue when you first spay spray it on.I think it is called Blu-cote and it is found in TSC among other places.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!