iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did I about step into?

Started by Bibbyman, July 06, 2006, 08:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I came out to the sawshed this morning to find this pea-green goo under the edger.  It's about the size of my hand and an inch thick.  It's got a rough, bubbly surface like a cauliflower and is foamy like Coolwhip.  It was on top of dry but fresh sawdust.  I checked it now and then though the day but it only shrunk in size a little and got a little more cream colored.  I went back out to check on it this evening but it's got stepped on..  ::)

I don't know what it is.  That's why I'm asking.    ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Furby

I'm guessing: slime mold.
We used to look for it as kids, never did find the good stuff.
Fuligo septica, the dog vomit slime mold

Bibbyman

Quote from: Furby on July 06, 2006, 08:13:29 PM

We used to look for it as kids, never did find the good stuff.

Why would you look for it? 

Yea,  we got all kinds of mushrooms around the sawmill and sawdust but I've never seen anything like this before.  Not two feet away is some stuff that I've seen often.  It's some kind of growth that looks like old styrofoam.
Sawing since '94

Furby

We had read that some of it would glow in the dark. ;D

UNCLEBUCK

It looks to me like the stuff jed clampett shot at and then it bubbled up through the ground and he became wealthy .  You got  oil Bibby  smiley_fiddler
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

CHARLIE

Bibbyman! Best check your property for some round burned marks where a flying saucer may have landed. That green thing is an alien being for sure. I think he was there spying on your sawmill operation.  Whoever killed him might be in deep doo doo when the saucer comes back to pick him up. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

joelmar10

Looks like that IS alien deep doo doo.  Better secure a sample for the Men in Black.    :)
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Bibbyman

Is this what they call foxfire?  I heard tell of guys out coon hunting and seeing something glowing on the hillside.  Dad tells that he once awoke in the night to see something glowing in the firewood box and figured it was foxfire.

By dark last night I didn't have enough interest to go out and check.  I was more interested in checking my eyelids for cracks.  smiley_sleeping
Sawing since '94

asy

I gotta admit, other than the fact that I thought it looked like some sort of fungus...

I'm REALLY impressed that there's a website that has a Fungus of the Month!!!

what will they think of next?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

thedeeredude

I saw foxfire once on some rotting birch. Not a lot, but awesome none the less.

Part_Timer

I can't tell you what it is but it's not foxfire.  That I've seen before. 

We get an outbreak of that stuff in the flower beads every couple of years.  Kate just sprays it with bleach and it's gone for awhile.  Seems like the wet springs are the worst.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ron Wenrich

My vote is for slime mold.  I've seen it on occassion around the mill and usually in sawdust.

Here's a link of slime mold photos:  http://waynesword.palomar.edu/slime1.htm 
It takes a while to load. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bibbyman

Thanks Ron.  I've seen tons of that stuff in the later stage when it's dry and gray.  I just never seen it when it was ALIVE !!!  :o
Sawing since '94

florida

My guess is that it's Stachybotrys mold which specializes in growing on wet or damp cellulose. It's greenish in color. Nasty stuff that can be dangerous. Read more at --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/n23p4
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

PawNature

I seen that there stuff on star trek, eat up ever thing it came in contact with. So Bibby if you and the Mrs suddenly disappear we will know what happened.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!