iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old tires sold as new, possibly dangerous

Started by StorminN, July 30, 2008, 08:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Not sure if this has already been discussed... I usually don't forward stuff like this, but I thought the tire date code part of the video was interesting and it might help some guys out...

Old Tires Sold As New

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Tom

For those who can't download the video, the report is an ABC 20/20 show on "old" tires.

The show starts by describing a highschool grad and his friend who were killed in a Graduation celebration trip to Canada when their tire threw its tread and the driver lost control of the car.  The father though he had sent them away with a safe vehicle , not knowing that the tires were seven years old. 

The point being made that there is a shelf life on new tires and the Industry still sells the tires as new.  England has instituted a 6 year shelf life and doesn't allow tires to be mounted after that date.  ABC's reporter was pushing for the USA to do the same thing.

The date on a tire is located at the end of the string of numbers describing the tire.  It is 3 or 4 numbers and is read in weeks and year.  Example: 421 means that the tire was made in the 42 week of 1991.  4201 means that the tire was made the 42 week of 2001.

The Industry spokesman agrees that there may be a shelf life to tires, but no scientific study has been made to identify what it should be.  All tires are different.

That is the jist of the story.

StorminN

Thanks Tom... my bad for not describing it for those with slow connections...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

moosehunter

At my repair shop the best example of this is tires on campers. The campers get to be 7-10 years old, very low miles, and the first trip in the spring those old tires come apart. They pass inspection and look fine with hardly any tread wear, but they just fall apart. We started a few years back looking at the date code on all tires and recommending to customers with tires 6 years or older to replace them before they have a problem.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Thank You Sponsors!