iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What up Benches?

Started by doc henderson, February 06, 2019, 10:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

...so I used the laser engraver instead... for the paw pattern!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

Thanks for sharing your techniques. :)

What I've always done Doc, to make the legs all even and the base of them to all sit flush is sit it upright on a flat surface, like the table saw and scribe the cut around the leg and then use a very thin kerf Japanese saw to make the cuts. Last chair I made was a fiddle back with the back legs angled back some. Scribed and cut flush. Noth'n to it. :)

Always nice to have a drill press around. Came it real handy for making wooden ratchet handles for the loom. A big chunk of 8/4 maple, lathed round. Centre mortied out square with attachment for drill press. Then drill the holes for the handles around the circumference on a bent angle. Works like a charm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Trying to decide if that is footloose, da udder foot is in da mouth, ihop, or, high steppin'.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Why did you feel compelled to indicate you had someone else measure the bed? :D

Very nice job and very thoughtful, or great suck up job to the CMO! ;D

All kidding aside you did a wonderful job and thing here. 

doc henderson

Quote from: samandothers on February 12, 2019, 11:44:32 AM
Why did you feel compelled to indicate you had someone else measure the bed? :D

Very nice job and very thoughtful, or great suck up job to the CMO! ;D

All kidding aside you did a wonderful job and thing here.
Good point. A few know, but my last day at that hospital is past, and I have taken over at a regional Hospital 3 minutes from my house.  I know you were kidding, but it does come to mind.!!! smiley_heh_heh  Thanks for all the kind reviews and ideas
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Over at a buddy's house and saw the bench I helped his son make his mom for Christmas a few years back.  locust wood, no thorns.  nice long bench with all the kids names including one they lost close to term.  thin slab with bark on the bottom, very dense wood, no flex when you sit.

this thing is over 4 feet long.  heavy as heck and looks great.  Jim is x-navy, friend I brew beer with occ.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

samandothers

Congratulations on scoring the new hospital job closer to home!  Speaks highly of your abilities!

The locust really looks nice.  It is pretty wood.  Around SW Va we have black locust but few of my trees get to a size for a bench with out some issue.

Old Greenhorn

Hey @doc henderson I just came back to this thread for reference. I may not be fast, but I do follow up.... eventually. We have new neighbors I just met today, 30 somethings, nice kids. They are working their butts off to clean their place up and make it nice. Flowers, quartz stone paths, fire pit area, and anything they can do that requires supplies from Home Depot.  :D ;D
 Anyway, nice to see youngsters work so hard and I thought I would make something for them. They could use some small table by their fire pit or on their deck and those slabs I cut up yesterday would work well I think. So I ordered a lumberjack 1-1/2" tenon cutter and a forstner bit. I am wondering how you pick your drill angles? I am thinking something in the 5 degree range in the X and Y axis?
 Anyway, pictures to follow in a few weeks. I hope they are not as ugly as my work bench. 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

about 10 to 13 degrees is what I use for benches.  if it is a narrow 8 inch seat I splay wider, if it is wider and more stable i go less.  for an end table you could also do a mass base with a petit top with a single post up the middle.  depends on the degree of rustic-nationish- tolerance.  (made up word).  i try to stay at least 1 inch from the edges. 

Old Greenhorn

Well @doc henderson , here I am studying back on this thread again. All your (bench) legs look so uniform and that style appealed to me. Last night I wasted my evening trying to salvage a decent piece of WO to no avail, it's on the burn pile now. I will start again with a fresh maple log tonight if allowed. SO I am going to take pretty much the whole log and cut it into leg stock. My (new) question: what is your cross-sectional size? It looks like 2-1/2 square, but could be 3". I'll see how the log looks but maybe I will make both sizes. Then I will set up the drill press to do a better job on the tenons.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

@Old Greenhorn .  I like the drill press but also just clamp some to may table saw bed and fence and use a dewalt 18 v drill by hand.  mine have the level. cutting tenons in green wood comes off in big shavings (better)  and very dry wood is a little more "chattery" (made up word).  If planning well in advance a guy could cut the tenon a size bigger and let it dry, then do the final size.  My standard stock is 2 to 2.5 inches square.  It depends on the seat dimensions and what looks good.  I have a few benches around the shop that I use for reference.  I have considered, if wood is about to rip my arms off, soaking the tenon in water to help with smooth cutting.  Glad you are having a good time.   8) 8) 8)
ps there are some other ideas online video's if interested.  I got a few ideas there.

Old Greenhorn

Thanks Doc, baby steps right now. When I set up the drill press I will get a photo. I think you will like what I have in mind, (assuming it works at all) but it will require uniform size for each leg of a given size group. For me, the legs seem like the PITA part of the job (next to final sizing, leveling), so I think I might just make up a mess of them in one shot, like you do, so I can just use them as needed. I can leave them in the shed to dry somewhat. Not even sure what the MC is on that log I was gonna mill tonight. I cut it back in the fall, so it's probably still high. If'n I mill them at 2-1/2" I could take them down to 2" later if needed for style points, or if I wanted to make short stiles (see what I did there?).  ;D :D
Edit to add: Yes, I know there are lots of neat ideas out there, it boggles the mind. I am trying not to think about them just yet. I need to get the basic process of making a top, making legs, putting them together, and finishing it off. I have never been a good woodworker because I am impatient. I need to work on my zen a lot more.

doc henderson

made a bench for a guy at work.  he is the one clearing his land and cutting ERC for me.  made him some trim.  and his son (grandson)  loves cows @Southside  so made him a bench.  18 inches by 8 inches, 12 inches tall.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

I betcha they will enjoy that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

Sean is post military, now going full time with us as a PA. He has been part time for 4 years.  He is close to 50, just bought 90 acres that no one had maintained for 30 years.  he want to plant trees so is taking out cedars.  his son is 3 (adopted from within his family) he loves cows.  the bench should be his size in terms of sitting and moving it.

here is a whack of ERC.  he thought he would have another 6 of these, but now he says he grossly underestimated the volume and it will be much more.  I go to get my pallets done!

SwampDonkey

Your red cedar down there is like us with balsam fir. Grows back like weeds by the time you make a circle. :D 50 years is a 20" diameter log on good ground. I have been burning some fir in with other stuff the last two years. Never run out of fir growing back. :D Heck the stuff will grow under maple, aspen, or spruce, you cut that off and your next woods is fir.

kantuckid

Leg trims: I simply place the finished item upright on a flat surface and lay a pencil flat towards the sides of the legs and draw a cut line. If needed I use a piece of wood to make the pencil line catch the shortest leg of the group. Then I mostly use the same saw doc shows in his picture and cut to the line.
Achieves the same thing as the "doc jig" seen in picture to mark legs for equalization.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

I just turn my bench upside down on my mill, clamp it securely, set the blade height (Normally I use 17"), set the blade guides wide, engage and make one pass. All legs are cut exactly the same height and angle. No fuss, no muss (Whatever muss is).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

was not sure where to put this.  I have been trying to finish up a few projects in  my shop.  had made this blue stain pine bench quite a while ago.  I sat a spray bottle with denatured alcohol on it, and got this weird green discoloration.  two passes on the jointer did not take it out.  so i hit it x2 with wood bleach.  i hesitated cause i did not want a bland spot devoid of not only the green spot, but also the blue stain and some darkness to the grain.  so the green spot did fade, but the grain and blue stain remained.  i can see it, can you?  

fairly well centered in the pic.  I can live with that.  It has stopped me from finishing this bench for months! 

doc henderson

looked back and found this bench... made on 2-11-2019.  i really did not like the green stain, and was worried the fix might ruin the look of the bench.

SwampDonkey

Could always pine tar it. ;D ;)

doc henderson

found a flitch I saved a few years ago to make a bench.  thought it might be walnut as it was dark.  has been outside on a stack for a couple years.  nope it is yellow, not brown inside.  after all this time and no special care, about a eighth of brown then yellow.  it is Mulberry.

had some oak leg stock.  jointed 2 sides, planed the opposite sides, routed the edges 1/2 inch round over bit,  1.25 inch tenon.

Thank You Sponsors!