iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cutting and stacking ash boards (too particular?)

Started by forrestM, May 05, 2020, 10:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

I am in Virginia cutting 1" thick random width ash boards and i am getting some variation from board to board - sometimes a 1/16th of an inch up to an 1/8th difference in thickness. I went over the alignment on my lt15 wide, and I am thinking this variation is just coming from stress in these logs, most of which were standing dead. Is that a typical amount of variation? I have been pretty particular about my stacking, trying to sort out the varied boards so each layer is pretty consistent. But, if these boards are going to dry at varying thickness as well, do i need to be that careful? Am I fine to stack a layer that has 1", 1 -1/16" and 1 - 1/8" boards across it? It could save me a lot of time, if the results will be the same anyways. By the way, these boards are headed for a new brewery and will be planed down to be 3/4" vertical shiplap interior siding. 

tagging @GeneWengert-WoodDoc 

Thanks!

WV Sawmiller

I can verify the stress in the ash logs. I saw a good bit and lots of time the first slab cut just about jumps off the cant. It is a challenge to keep the cant flat on the rails at times with the resulting thickness problems at times.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ladylake

If I get a thicker board once in a while I put it on the outside of the stack which keeps the stack more stable. And yes I think your being to particular .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

moodnacreek

Quote from: ladylake on May 05, 2020, 06:23:53 PM
If I get a thicker board once in a while I put it on the outside of the stack which keeps the stack more stable. And yes I think your being to particular .  Steve
Me to. thick on outside. You can also shim under sticks. 

Brad_bb

Been cutting 2" (1-15/16" is my goal) and I get 1/8" variation as I go.  Once in awhile more if there's a lot of stress as I get to the last cut of the cant.

I just stack them, try to put thicker ones on the outside as others have said.  We'll see how they come out after drying and planing.  These will be T&G, so they don't need to be jointed flat.  If they have a bow, they will get screwed flat.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!