iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I almost caught it on video.

Started by Brad_bb, June 04, 2020, 12:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I put a new band on today, and sawed one Ash log.  As I was going to edge one of the last outside boards, I noticed that the blade was oscillating relative to the outside guide. I inspected the band wheels to see if there was something on them causing this oscillation. Finding nothing, I slowly started engaging the band again right after this video and BAM!  The band broke. Clearly the oscillation was caused by a crack in the band that I did not see. Unfortunately the band bunched up inside the housing and partially cut my drive belt. So I'm down until I get another drive belt, which should be tomorrow morning. I had just changed my drive belt recently using my spare, and had not yet ordered replacements. At least now when I see an oscillating blade I'll know what to expect. I'll definitely stop and inspect the blade carefully.
Oscillating Band
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

donbj

That's a dead giveaway of a cracked blade. I can pretty much catch them before they break, either from what you see there or the sound it makes as it saws like that
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

kelLOGg

What donbj said. That is my experience, too.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Tramp Bushler

If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Thank You Sponsors!