iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new shirt

Started by tule peak timber, December 01, 2020, 09:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Quote from: tule peak timber on July 09, 2022, 10:57:47 AM
When the Nyle is on another schedule, and you need a piece sterilized, I turn to the wolf!

How long and what temperature for 1" to thicker pieces 

tule peak timber

I ran the little air-dried log for a couple of hours at 250 degrees. Just want to simmer any powder post beetles to a nice well done. Will post pics tomorrow of the project near completion. 
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Walnut Beast

Cool! Always looking forward to your pictures and stories 👍

doc henderson

glad to have you back and sharing your "out of the torsion box" thinking and techniques!   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

The little warty sycamore log on a sculpted oak base. I highlighted the nails in the top as part of design. This is one time that iron staining came in handy.

Crusarius

you sure have a knack for making something beautiful out of nothing. I wish I had a fraction of your talent.

tule peak timber

Rough shaping and dry fit this morning.

Walnut Beast

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Quote from: Crusarius on August 17, 2022, 11:36:41 AM
you sure have a knack for making something beautiful out of nothing. I wish I had a fraction of your talent.
that is where the nickname "Wizard of Crap" came from. :)  it is art.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

:) Lemonade from lemons.

Nebraska

Somehow /sometimes  it looks as though you have made lemonade from  dirt...just saying some things look like they were beyond a lemon when you started with them.... :)

Crusarius

Your sigline should be wizard of crap :)

tule peak timber

Finishing up a big oak mantle and some shelves that match an island we did a while back. Check out the grain on this Canyon Live Oak.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

newoodguy78

One of a kind. Once again beautiful work. 

caveman

Beautiful.  John and I were bragging about your work and methods to one of our customers on Saturday after he was inquiring about our live oak.

I sawed up a live oak log yesterday for an ag teacher friend of mine who has an old pull behind road grader that needs a tongue.  I sawed him a few 4x4's, which should be several lifetime's supply.  The grain in them looked a lot like yours, although they are different species and from opposite sides of the continent.
Caveman

tule peak timber

I saw some internet photos of work I did for a customer in his house, that is now up for sale. One is a 7' diameter walnut circular table and the other is his man cave bartop. The guy has a really nice house! LOL

Walnut Beast

I would say so! All it would take is to write a check with seven figures to be behind that bar and enjoy it 😂

Nebraska

I don't think I could live in a place like that. Not enough of the lived in look for me.... :)

tule peak timber

Nebraska,
You are spot on! They don't live in them. 
These are snow bird homes for the East Coast and Canadian money folks. Lots of household names such as UPS, Arm and Hammer, Armour, FedEx, etc. etc. have these homes for use at Christmas time and occasionally during the year for business get aways. They don't live like the rest of us. The houses are stunning, sterile and have upkeep and taxes that I can't even comprehend!
Anyway, a couple of pics of birthing this bartop idea that may never, ever actually have a drink spilled on it!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Resonator

About how many hours labor (ballpark) went into that bar top? Definitely a "statement" showpiece. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

tule peak timber

You know, that's a tough one to estimate. I tend to look at bidding jobs by the square foot or what the competition might charge. A bartop like this is one of a kind and took probably 6 months to build. The problem is, I run 10-30 jobs at any one time and only none to a few hours per day on any one job. I do work 7 days/week and it's a churning whirlpool that makes money on some jobs and jobs like this one are more for exposure. And this client has asked me for one of a kind pieces for years. 
Way more profit in simply selling wood, by the hour anyway. Sadly, I build a lot of pieces that you don't really make much money on; I just make up for my losses with volume and wood sales. The word of mouth exposure beats any facebook or google advertising ANY day.
 How many hours?-Too many.... :D

Resonator

Sounds like building a mansion or restoring a collector car, more time = more attention to detail, and higher quality. Those hours may not be all added in the bill, but the best finish product is more important.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!