The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Cutting boards. How I do it.  (Read 1483 times)

Offline DPatton

• Share Post
    • D & S Sawmill Services
Re: Cutting boards. How I do it.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »
100% Tung oil can be used too.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Offline kantuckid

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 08:35:39 AM »
Vegetable oils are all edible but not all are great choices for wood cutting boards. Peanut oil resists going rancid and works well. We use olive oil on wood food contact surfaces as it's always nearby as our go to oil for healthy stir fry uses. 
 I've made, sold and given away many wood cutting boards over the years but in our home kitchen we have switched to the large plastic sheets for most cooking. They are sanitary, come in multiple sets for very little cost and easy to work on. We do still use a couple of boards , one for cheese with company and another for breads. 
There are situations in woodworking that ask for a double spread of glue and also a single spread, no hard fast rule for one or the other. 
I use my tablesaw often as an extra work surface. I don't fret over glue on cast iron,  and a razor scraper pops it off easily. The blade is a very pricey item indeed and is lowered during such work space events. The pricey Beisemeyer fence is also protected from glue!
 Now and then I sand the metal off with a DA sander and wax it but mostly I use old newspapers (they are becoming a rare item! :D) to cover or a plastic drop cloth when spraying. It will be there long after I'm done with it.

Candidly said, wood is not the safe food prep surface it was once thought to be. That's an old topic for sure. There are real reasons it's no longer is seen in butcher shops, etc.. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Offline Trackerbuddy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »
Thanks for The pictorial. 
You make it look easy.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 10:26:30 AM »
I got a gallon of mineral oil for 20 bucks on amazon.  I use the boos block oil that also has oil plus a bit of wax.  charcuterie boards are popular and I can finish one in 5 minutes and it is ready for presentation.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2021, 09:53:40 PM »
I use mineral oil also. It takes several  coats but I know you can drink it,  never heard of allergies to it, and it doesn't go rancid. I pick it up at the pharmacy. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »
used to be to lubricate stool for constipated kids.  it was overall safe unless they choked and got it in there lungs, oil pneumonitis.  food safe.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2021, 10:17:48 PM »
Food grade mineral oil with a bit of wax, either paraffin (preserving wax) or beeswax, depending on how fancy you want to get. Warm up the oil in a double boiler pot, add some wax to it and let it melt in. It should cool off to an oily sort of paste that  you can keep in a jar and wipe onto boards as needed. It's all considered "food safe", and wont go rancid over time. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cutting my First Boards

Started by DWyatt on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2018, 11:10:31 AM
by DWyatt
xx
Cutting Fence Boards

Started by DR_Buck on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2004, 03:46:59 PM
by DR_Buck
xx
End Grain Cutting Boards

Started by fstedy on Drying and Processing

28 Replies
Last post December 18, 2006, 11:35:24 PM
by metalspinner
xx
cutting and stacking ash boards (too particular?)

Started by forrestM on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2020, 08:10:48 PM
by Brad_bb