iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting boards. How I do it.

Started by coalsmok, January 24, 2021, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

As requested in the thread about making the butcher block island I took some photos of the steps to make a top/cutting board. I don't usually make end grain cutting boards since mostly I make them for my own use and long grain boards seem easier to clean up as needed. 

coalsmok

Sorry hit the wrong button and didn't get the photos in my initial post. 

Start with planed and edged strips. These are from edging the boards for the island top.  Sort out and remove any splits, loose or open knots. 

Get you clamps ready

Lay everything out in the order you want it to go and run a bead of glue down one face of the second board. 

Spread it out evenly across the face of the strip and then flip it against the first board. Repeat across the entire thing. 

Work fast but be sure to get everything glued. Then clamp with plenty of clamps. I forgot to lay out cauls to keep the front face of the strips even ::). It's more important on the next step but would have reduced planing and waste.  The tape measure is hooked in a dry joint. This makes two pieces that will just fit through my planer. After this dries I will add to this post. 

FCC

Brad_bb

But what about all the glue that drips onto your table saw?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

coalsmok

I get to scrape it off ;D. My work bench is occupied with a radial arm saw I have been trying to revive but I'm about to just part it out. Need this project I'm doing now for Friday morning. Lots of fresh beef to be cut.

coalsmok

Everything is dried and I got it mostly together this evening. Even got a longer narrow cutting board as a bonus out of the extra. 

The dry joint was really dry this time 8) 8).

I use a handplane to knock of the worst of the glue/ high spots. Then run everything through the planer till smooth. 

This is a rather wide for a cutting board. But the edges are treated just the same as the strips they are made off. I put slight pressure on with the horizontal clamps then tighten the ones holding the cauls to keep the top and bottom aligned and then go back to put the final pressure on the glue joints. 

This is pretty much the end if I was making a board or a top. The rest is just sanding the seams and applying food safe finish. This is destined to be a sacrificial top for the island I made earlier, hence the rather plain construction with no contrasting strips. Once this is sanded I will glue on one more strip to the bottom to create a lip so it hooks on the edge of the island top to keep it in place. 

TroyC

I can answer the question about glue on the table saw as I use it as a workspace in my shop also 8)

I hates glue droppings.

I put an old sheet over the saw before I glue up the boards. A piece of cardboard on the saw works good also. I put cardboard on the floor in case the glued board is longer than the table saw top. Those clamps look like the same sort of blue end clamps I use sometimes. I put wax paper over the clamps so the glue does not get in the little cutouts for the movable clamp end. I've also found the round pipe type clamps can be tightened up a lot tighter. The 1/2" round clamps with the three levers on the tail piece grab the pipe better than the clamps with the one push lever.

After I lay out the order of my strips, I make a couple of diagonal pencil lines across the strips just in case I drop one or can't remember where it goes.  :)

coalsmok

Good tips. 
  I rarely have my act together enough to think ahead and have something to cover the saw top with.  

Ljohnsaw

My workbench is a 9' x 3' solid core door and I mounted a roll of white butcher paper under one end.  I pull that out to cover when I'm working on something messy and also use it as a cover on my table saw when doing assembly on it.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

21incher

I got a magnetic protector for my saw from mlcs that dried glue scrapes right off.  That's  a nice size cutting board. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

azmtnman

Quote from: coalsmok on January 24, 2021, 04:11:53 PM

Lay everything out in the order you want it to go and run a bead of glue down one face of the second board.

Asking a question here. Not criticing.
Aren't we supposed to glue both surfaces? I didn't figure it was a big deal if the joints were tight. I was putting some drawers together with 45's and only gluing one surface, clamping then nailing. I wound up having to take that drawer apart and it was like I hadn't glued it.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

21incher

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 26, 2021, 04:44:37 PM
Quote from: 21incher on January 26, 2021, 08:59:19 AMmagnetic protector for my saw
what is this pray tell?

It is a  sheet of magnet with white plastic on one side. About 28" x 48" x 3/32" thick that rolls  out on the saw to turn it into a work space. Protects it from rust also and you can draw on it with dry erase markers also. Here is a video I made a while ago
Magnetic Table Saw Cover For My Grizzly G1023RLWX - YouTube
The new ones are all white with no graphics.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coalsmok

Quote from: azmtnman on January 26, 2021, 10:19:03 AM

Aren't we supposed to glue both surfaces? I didn't figure it was a big deal if the joints were tight. I was putting some drawers together with 45's and only gluing one surface, clamping then nailing. I wound up having to take that drawer apart and it was like I hadn't glued it.
I have never had any issues just gluing one side of the joint. 

TroyC

I only glue one side also but use enough glue so it squeezes out of the joints. That's why I put wax paper over my clamps.

alan gage

Quote from: 21incher on January 26, 2021, 05:02:33 PM

It is a  sheet of magnet with white plastic on one side. About 28" x 48" x 3/32" thick that rolls  out on the saw to turn it into a work space. Protects it from rust also and you can draw on it with dry erase markers also. Here is a video I made a while ago
Magnetic Table Saw Cover For My Grizzly G1023RLWX - YouTube
The new ones are all white with no graphics.
Whoa baby, I think I like that!
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Hilltop366

If the 45s were end grain it would make a difference as the end grain would wick up the glue and dry out the joint without bonding.

azmtnman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 26, 2021, 08:15:38 PM

If the 45s were end grain it would make a difference as the end grain would wick up the glue and dry out the joint without bonding.
Ah! That makes sense! Thanks!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Polish Hammer1

What kind of finish do you guys prefer for cutting boards I only ever used vegetable oil because I am to chicken to try anything else ha

coalsmok

I have used a wax and mineral oil blend. I think it is called butcher block conditioner at Lowe's if you buy it commercially 

TroyC

Vegetable oil for me, cheap and works good. Pour it on and let it soak in. Renew every 4-6 months. I've got cutting boards I made in Jr High, still use them. I'm 67 now. 8)

DPatton

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

kantuckid

Vegetable oils are all edible but not all are great choices for wood cutting boards. Peanut oil resists going rancid and works well. We use olive oil on wood food contact surfaces as it's always nearby as our go to oil for healthy stir fry uses. 
 I've made, sold and given away many wood cutting boards over the years but in our home kitchen we have switched to the large plastic sheets for most cooking. They are sanitary, come in multiple sets for very little cost and easy to work on. We do still use a couple of boards , one for cheese with company and another for breads. 
There are situations in woodworking that ask for a double spread of glue and also a single spread, no hard fast rule for one or the other. 
I use my tablesaw often as an extra work surface. I don't fret over glue on cast iron,  and a razor scraper pops it off easily. The blade is a very pricey item indeed and is lowered during such work space events. The pricey Beisemeyer fence is also protected from glue!
 Now and then I sand the metal off with a DA sander and wax it but mostly I use old newspapers (they are becoming a rare item! :D) to cover or a plastic drop cloth when spraying. It will be there long after I'm done with it.

Candidly said, wood is not the safe food prep surface it was once thought to be. That's an old topic for sure. There are real reasons it's no longer is seen in butcher shops, etc.. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Trackerbuddy

Thanks for The pictorial. 
You make it look easy.

doc henderson

I got a gallon of mineral oil for 20 bucks on amazon.  I use the boos block oil that also has oil plus a bit of wax.  charcuterie boards are popular and I can finish one in 5 minutes and it is ready for presentation.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

I use mineral oil also. It takes several  coats but I know you can drink it,  never heard of allergies to it, and it doesn't go rancid. I pick it up at the pharmacy. 

Thank You Sponsors!