iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Whole Shop Outside Cycle Dust Collector Install

Started by YellowHammer, February 04, 2021, 10:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

YellowHammer

Mines a 10 Hp system, I've got three filters looks like this one is 4.  Oneida has a very efficient blower design, and I've never come close to overloading it.  It will run my 55Hp double sided planer while at the same time sucking the sawdust from the sawmill.  I'm as happy with it now as the day I installed it.  It's not unusual for it to run for most of the day, servicing all our tools.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Walnut Beast

The systems you guys have are probably the best out there and very impressive 💪

tmbrcruiser

Worked on piping last night, connecting air lock to transfer blower. Had a little distraction when a coyote came out 100 yards away. They are just starting to be seen frequently on the Easter Shore.

I went with four filters and stand with bin, to recapture the conditioned air from the shop. The barrel will catch the fine dust from the filters, not sure how often I will need to dump the barrel. The flow of my piping must not be as efficient as it should be. From time to time the jointer and the moulder will plug up with shavings. The Laguna is rated at 6,000 cfm and the Oneida is rated at 7,800 should be problem solved. Weinig recommends 6,000 cfm for the moulder.

Almost went with Oneida when I set up originally, wish I had. A good friend once told me "You will remember a bought lesson longer than a taught lesson". 
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tmbrcruiser

tmbrcruiser

Got the system up and running, very happy with the performance. The trailer should hold about 600 cubic feet of dust/shaving. This will be a huge time savings in the shop, not having to empty the 40 cubic foot bin every 20 minutes. 

Walnut Beast

Good deal. Looks like you did a real nice job 👍

metalspinner

Where you going with the trailer when it's full?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

YellowHammer

Very nice.  Do the shavings stay contained in the trailer, or do they blow out some?
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

tmbrcruiser

You can't see the soffit on the trailer, I used vented soffit along the top eve of the trailer cap. There is a gap between the plywood and the outer 2"x4". The transfer blower easily moves the dust/shavings but dose not create a wind storm. A little bit of fine dust gets out, but not much.

I have several horse farms near by that will take the dust/shavings as long as it doesn't have any walnut or cherry. When I am running either walnut or cherry I can take it to a mulch yard. They don't pay me for the dust but they don't charge me to dump.

YellowHammer

So, performance wise, it's sucking up all the chips you need and keeping the machines clear?  It looks like a real nice, clean set up.
YellowHammerisms:

Andries

Very impressive setup, and nice installation workmanship. I've also been happy with my Oneida products since a mid-winter install. 
Here's a question about the transfer blower: it looks so much smaller than the capacity of the cyclone blower fan. 
They must be balanced in terms of capacity, but how is that possible? 
Is it because after the cyclone and air locks have done their work, that the ducting can be reduced to move mostly sawdust and much less air?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

tmbrcruiser

The system is working better than I expected, hate to admit it but I could probably gotten away with 15 hp. I ran cherry flooring yesterday without stopping to empty the dust bin. Time savings makes the system well worth the expense. 

Seems I have a habit of over building. When I put up the air drying shed 30'x50' with front and back open (used sun shade curtains) the post are 12"x12".  

Thank You Sponsors!