iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw 9123 Planer/Molder

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 06, 2021, 08:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I was just given this machine.  It appears mechanically in fine shape if a little dirty and with some rust on the cast surface.  It has a 2hp motor set to run on 240.  It is missing the infeed and outfeed supports, plus the gibs and has no knives.  I'm not worried about the knives, because I'm more interested in using it as a molder.  I will need to purchase gibs and molder knives as I need.  Perhaps my first use would be to produce some walnut bar edge rail.  I'll have to build some kind of infeed and outfeed supports, but I think those could be wood construction.  I'm no metal worker.  Does anyone have any knowledge of these machines or use one?  I did talk to the Belsaw company and the guy was very helpful.  Many parts are readily available.  It seems that thru the years, they did not change much on how these things were made or worked.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

That's a nice machine and well worth putting time into, as I just recently learned. I picked up a Woodmaster 612 (you may have seen the thread) and was a little hesitant to pay the $200. the guy was asking because of the condition. As I was advised here, I needn't have worried. It cleaned up pretty easy except for the rust on the lead screws which I am still improving through use. The thing is a little beast so far. The woodmaster and the belsaws are very similar designs and were even built in the same shop for a while. Many parts are identical. SO if you are looking for a parts machine or spare parts, keep both brands in your search list.
 The feed tables are sheetmetal and can be bent up by any guy with the right machines in short order, corners are welded for rigidity. I think flat hardwood that is square and true should get you going. I have never had molder blades in mine yet, don't have any and they are pricey. Some day I hope to try it. I continue to search for a deal on a larger planer and the other day came across a 612 that is not in as good condition as mine that went for $600. so I guess I did OK. $200. + $125. for parts + 25 hours in time and I am good to go. I think your experience should be about the same, but you got the original machine much cheaper than mine. Good luck with it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks, OG, I did see your thread on the woodmaster and thought of you when I started this thread.  I was not looking for anything like this, so the price of zero dollars was just right.  I really appreciated my friend thinking of me when he came across it.  I haven't had a lot of time to look this thing over.  I got it thursday afternoon late and then came to work on Friday.  I will likely do a little clean up tomorrow.  One bad thing about this is that my truck will be doomed to never live in the garage.  Its the only place I have to house this thing.  I'll have to run a new 240v receptacle to plug it in or make up an extension cord to plug it in in the shop where my tablesaw plugs in.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

I had a 12 INCH 910 that I bought  new in 1983. It was 3 hp and had the saw and table. I had several molding cutters and just made a simple wood table with  adjustable guides for molding. One thing I found  out making moldings would chew up the rubber outfield rollers. They  are great machines but be careful of the grain when running moldings because it can tear out bad and get ugly. I sold it a couple years ago with all the molder cutters when the motor smoked for $200.00 in excellent condition and think it would probably  be cheapest to look for a used one on craigslist for the parts you are missing as I have seen many on there for reasonable prices.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

I believe that about the rollers.  I havent evaluated those either to see if they're any good.  The guy at Belsaw told me that the manual for the 910 was the same as for the 9123.  I have downloaded that.  I can keep an eye out for another machine.  Thanks.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I messed around with this planer a little today.  It did not come with the handle that cranks the bed up and down, so I sacrificed a 5/8" socket that fit well on the shaft and just used the socket wrench for now.  I need to come up with something with an L shaped handle.  It was a little tight to go up and down at first, but I cleaned the threads off pretty well and got it working pretty well.  I suspect it's supposed to be tight to some degree so that it does not move on its own.

I cleaned up the bed with some WD40 and sandpaper.  There is one spot that had a little more than surface rust, but I don't think it will have any effect on operation.  It is out toward the end of outfeed.  I cleaned up the cutterhead and it was not bad at all.  Just a little minor surface rust.  It and the feed rollers turn just fine.  I have a feeling the feed rollers will need to be replaced.  They don't feel very rubbery anymore.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I found scotchbrite and WD40 worked great on cleaning up the platten, Running a few hundred feet of wood will finish it up fine.  ;D
 I don't think those rollers are supposed to be too soft, with the spring loading, mine have a fair bit of force down on the board I need to give the board a little bump to get it under that first roller. Not sure if I have it set correct, but it work pretty well. I do need to clean the sap off of them again. WD40 works good to loosen that up too. Get it running and run some wood through, then you will know what you need, if the rollers slip, then it will be time.
 Have some fun with it, you should find it is a surprisingly good little machine.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

21incher

I never found mine to be that good a molder in reality.  The fixed feed rate and single pass or tear up the rollers always caused a lot of scrap. Just wondering with  all the parts missing if it's  really  worth it. Probably  going to need new bushings also. I have seen some old Williams and Husseys in good condition that sell really cheap especially seeing how you have a motor and they don't take up much space. Just wondering  if you just need a molder or want a narrow planer also. I sold mine cheap when the motor went and it was in perfect condition because  it was always to narrow for my needs plus it took a long time to switch over if you just need a couple feet of molding. Or maybe  you just want a project to work on. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

All valid points 21.  No matter what I would use it for, I would have to spend over $100 to get it working.
I could use it for a narrow planer for skip planing, but I'm not sure how much that would benefit me.  I'm planning to produce flooring for my master bedroom.  If I could make it work for that, it would be worth buying the knives and gibs, but as you say it may not be the best for that.  I'm afraid you are right.  My next best option for making flooring is my router table, but I think I would at least want to purchase a power feeder for that.  I'll think about it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well I am certainly not arguing, just discussing BUT for flooring there is not a lot of high profile work happening. I assume T&G and maybe you are relieving the bottom? I don't see how that is going to chew up the rollers and that machine with the original tables or home built ones, lends it self well to adding feed guide fences. Yes, it may feed a little slower than you would like, but you are not running 10,000BF either. You can can the pulleys/gears for an optional higher speed if it's like my 612, they make an option. As a planer it is a good solid machine, so far, I like mine a lot with just a few hundred BF through it a few times.
 As far as the cost, fixing it up and making a working planer out of it, with some cleaning and paint would give you a unit you could resell for probably $600. or more. They go quick at 500 I have learned ;D. You would certainly make your costs back and have something for a machine more to your liking and needs.
 If you didn't want it and were closer I would grab it and do a rebuild, use it for a few jobs, then maybe sell it (space is an issue for me here).
 Your machine now, so it's your call.

firefighter ontheside

I don't disagree with that either OG.  Likely what I will do is at least get it functional as a planer.  Then I will either keep it as a user or sell it.  I got it for free from a friend.  If I don't get it running, I would probably just give it away.  If I put money into it, then I will sell it for as much as a I can get.  I don't have room for it in my shop, so it will have to live in the garage, which means never parking my truck in the garage.  I don't like that idea.  What I want to do is use it to produce my flooring and then decide whether to sell or keep.  I do agree that it's a risk to spend the money on custom flooring knives and then have it produce flooring with lots of tearout.  That's what I'm afraid of.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

What is the shape of your flooring? I am not much on molders, so I know nothing, but seems like the flooring knives would not be a very heavy cut.

alan gage

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on February 09, 2021, 08:56:00 AMMy next best option for making flooring is my router table, but I think I would at least want to purchase a power feeder for that.  I'll think about it.
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a powerfeeder. I just bought one so I could run flooring through my new to me shaper. I also drilled my table saw for the powerfeed. It worked perfectly on the shaper but I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed it on the table saw too.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

21incher

After using one for 35 years just sharing  my opinion.  Buying Gibs, blades, setting gauge, hood, clean up supplies, a set of the proper matched belts plus possible other supplies  to build tables will definitely  cost several  hundred dollars. For cutting moldings in hardwood I had to buy 3 blade matched cutter sets and most molding profiles require front and back sets. I found the single blade sets were barely usable  on pine if I wanted a quality  product. It's easy to dump $600.00 into cutters that are only good for that old machine and nothing else as I did. Plus the blades must be removed for most cutters other then the 1 inch style that uses the center  gib only. It all really depends  how you value your time. Router  cutters and power feeders will always be usable  on other machines plus are adjustable to get the optimum  cut without spending hours aligning blade sets. I tore up rollers but they did not cost much to replace back then. The rollers are designed  to grip flat wood with the force of 1/8 compression applied. On profiles there's much single  point contact that increases  the psi. It's  hard to write off labor fiddling  with obsolete things that are one size fits all. Just like some still use win xp because  their machines can't be upgraded to modern faster and more secure operating  systems.  Still get the job done but outdated and slow.

Thank You Sponsors!