iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Linus checks out Starlink

Started by Ianab, February 10, 2021, 04:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Sedgehammer

Pretty neat. Those speeds kill my dsl slow speeds of 15 down and 1 up.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Ljohnsaw

I can get cable (that everyone complains about) or DSL from the phone company.  So I have DSL - 3 meg down/.7 meg up, at a cost of $64/mo.  I need to get a Starlink!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 10, 2021, 03:14:51 PM
I can get cable (that everyone complains about) or DSL from the phone company.  So I have DSL - 3 meg down/.7 meg up, at a cost of $64/mo.  I need to get a Starlink!
you're kidding right? I mean those speeds are like 12 years ago here. 

Mike W

We used to pay for two separate satellite services here on the property, for our personal and business, had two because both were best packages available and we used all data in first two weeks then two weeks of throttled service that was crap to begin with, at over $250.00 per month for the two services.  My son applied long ago for beta testing of Starlink, for all three of our addresses, being so rural (as rural as you really can get) we got approved for all three.  Signed up for one, and I can say, its like being hooked directly to the fiber itself, all six here can all connect and do what they want at once and no lag whatsoever, its the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion for us rural folks and trying to do business still.

Go Starlink, you have my vote completely,

Funny there is 4 on this property that all now play this online game called "Red Dead" looks pretty cool and the amount data being transmitted must be incredible and is working flawlessly for them, could never even think to attempt that before on the satellite service of yesterday.

Mike W

Oh, also its self aligning, just plug it in and step back.  Also its heated, no snow to ever remove 8)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Sedgehammer on February 10, 2021, 03:54:44 PM
I can get cable (that everyone complains about) or DSL from the phone company.  So I have DSL - 3 meg down/.7 meg up, at a cost of $64/mo.  I need to get a Starlink!
Sad, but true!  We are semi-rual.  Lots of ¼ and ½ parcels, some with horses and such.  We are in a "normal" neighborhood, just at the end of the phone lines and power lines.  Signed up for this service probably 15 years ago.  They offer fiber at $100-150/mo - but not out here.
Just put down my $99 down to get Starlink.  Supposed to be rolling out here this summer or early fall.  I'll have to get another one for the cabin when that is habitable.  I want to have security/weather cameras up there.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

petefrom bearswamp

I just read an article about this service.
Sounds great for the boonies
Had Hughes years ago and it really sucked.
Got DSL about 5 yrs ago, vast improvement and land line phone.
Dish network for tv.
Cost for them was about 215 per mo.
Have had fiber optic since January 2020 for phone internet and tv.
150 bucks +-
Phone and internet great but the TV comes thru ROKU and it sucks as it is not very fast or user friendly.
Also no DVR or caller ID
To get into our spectrum for TV takes about as much time as the OLD TV sets used to take to warm up.
If Spectrum jumps the price I may go back to the former system
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Mike W

Haha, Hughes was the service we had and kicked to the curb once we had this up and running, and absolutely they "suck" total exploitation of those in the boonies such as us and as you mention..

Mike W

I see a whole new market exploitation ready to be had with Starlink in the real rural and outback cabin and resort type get-a-way locations as a corporate retreat type of venue.  The biggest hurdle these types of locations to bridge between the "mom and pop" vacations and tapping the high dollar, deep pocket corporate world has been high speed reliable internet service that still allows data streaming, video conferencing, etc., all while resting on their sabbatical of "corporate over stress".  This has never been available at any cost to those locations.  This new system is going to change that dynamic in a large way I believe.  We are even now looking at a 100 acre private lake around the corner from us with a lodge and 6 cabins that has been for sale for a year and a half now, this is a perfect scenario for what I am speaking to.

wiam

Put my $99 down today. Then noticed I miss-spelled my email. Not sure if I can fix it......

stavebuyer

I have been following the Starlink roll out with great interest as we really have no "good option" for internet at the house. No fiber or cable available.

I just went to the Starlink website and they say mid 2021 for my zip code. I plunked down my $99 and can't wait!!

SwampDonkey

For what I do, I can't justify the layout. I'm on Xplornet, which is a local company 30 miles from here. I'm not moving a lot of data around. What they provide serves my needs. Their service is from towers here. My brother has their dish service and says it sucks. He's down in a low spot where he can't get the tower signal, and it's only 1/2 miles from here to his place. $97 a month is better than $150/month when I don't need the latest and greatest. Some day, I might not have a choice if the local company gets beat out in time. We can have two TV's streaming content and works just fine. It might not be 4K, but my eyes could never tell the difference anyway from 1280p. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

We were just checking out starlink a few days ago.  We are in an area of rural MO that has very poor access to internet.  We have internet thru a wifi provider.  Our signal comes from a large tower about 10 miles to the north.  Then the signal gets repeated from a repeater on a water tower about 1/4 mile away.  Its not very reliable.  Before that we had dial up.  Starlink may be in our future.  It was pretty impressive several months ago when we watched the string of over 40 satellites fly over the house.  It could still affected by the weather, but only while the weather is blocking the signal.  The wind is not going to blow the satellite out of the sky.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Sedgehammer

We had a tower type also. wasn't too bad. 12 mpbs down. switched to dsl. 15 mpbs down. it serves our purposes, but wood like it faster. we also placed our order.

Thanks @Ianab for bringing this up again.

stavebuyer

I am thinking the Starlink is going to save us dollars. As of now we use cellphone hotspot for internet and satellite dish for tv; both of which are poor service as well as expensive. With Starlink I should now be able to stream for TV watching(dump the TV dish) and scale back on my cell phone data plans. I think it will be plus all the way around compared to my current options.

Sedgehammer

currently we have direct tv for tee vee. got a quote from dish for $125. i'm calling direct to match or bye. bye. since my wife, sis in law and mom in law are from the philippines, we need the international channels. we'll prolly stick with one of them. cell phone plans are unlimited data and i'll not change them. we use data on them that is way over any limited plan and the cost savings to go to a fixed plan isn't really that much. 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 10, 2021, 04:28:13 PM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on February 10, 2021, 03:54:44 PM
Sad, but true!  We are semi-rual.  Lots of ¼ and ½ parcels, some with horses and such.  We are in a "normal" neighborhood, just at the end of the phone lines and power lines.  Signed up for this service probably 15 years ago.  They offer fiber at $100-150/mo - but not out here.
Just put down my $99 down to get Starlink.  Supposed to be rolling out here this summer or early fall.  I'll have to get another one for the cabin when that is habitable.  I want to have security/weather cameras up there.
As an aside, we have bad times with our DSL.  If we reboot the router (leave it off for 30 minutes is best), it seems to work better.  On the last call to complain, they said you can't have 5 devices running on 3meg.  I said, what 5?  Two TVs (both off), my laptop (browsing only), a device that hooks my solar to a recording website and an Alexa.  Still having issues trying to view Netflix, I had my son pull the plug on Alexa.  Just sitting there, Alexa was consuming a LOT of bandwidth (spying on us ;)).
John Sawicky

Sedgehammer

Yes it was. I won't allow any of those types in the house. What's funny if our internet is slow for some reason (happens a few times a month), netflix is the only thing that works and works good.......

Mike W

FFOTS -

Weather doesn't seem to impact Starlink like the normal satellites we are used to,  sure its mostly due to the lower altitude, but we have had ours running for a few months now all through winter storms and socked in, never a hiccup to the signal, unlike Hughes Net satellite we did have, a single cloud would seem to cause issues. 

I'm really glad my boy had signed up for the beta testing last year, Starlink for us "boonies folk" is the best thing since sliced bread ;D

snobdds

How does it work if you need multiple locations with one account.  I would love to get this at my cabin and at my home.  I wonder if I would have to pay for an extra satellite but use the same account as home. 

I never though I would see the day I could get internet up there.  My dad could watch his baseball games and probably spend loger duration trips up there without feeling out of touch with the world.  

Mike W

You would have to have two separate accounts and dishes, they are programmed to your geographical location and are pretty sensitive when moved too far from your account address.

Ianab

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 11, 2021, 09:52:19 AMs an aside, we have bad times with our DSL.  If we reboot the router (leave it off for 30 minutes is best), it seems to work better.  On the last call to complain, they said you can't have 5 devices running on 3meg.

3 mb DSL suggests you are on a marginal phone line, any further out and they wouldn't be connecting you at all. :( The upload speed is probably well below 1 mb, hence the Alexa system hogging to much of the upstream bandwidth, and that affects other devices ability to request more data. 

Streaming TV is 98% download, and only a few handshake / requests going up, and Netflix generally runs a large buffer in the device, so you don't notice small glitches in the data connection, but it needs most of your 3mb download to work reliably.  

Technically the number of devices is only an issue if they are heavy data use situations. But Alexa and Streaming TV are both this.

I'm just following Starlink out of personal (and professional) interest. Here in small town NZ we have fibre available to every town property, and our plan is 200/20 with no data limit. I can pay more and get 900/900 mb, but no real advantage. But once you get out of the urban areas it's a lot more patchy, and more like what you guys are having to deal with. I think my old house is still on a fixed Sat link as that's about the only option out there. End of the road, in a valley, no other houses in sight etc. Govt has funded more Cell towers to improve the rural broadband, but the coverage is still patchy out in the remoter valleys. There is also a local Mifi (microwave) supplier that have been increasing their coverage, but they need about 10 new customers to make it economic to put in a new repeater, so their coverage isn't universal either. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

firefighter ontheside

@Mike W is it fast enough to stream things like Hulu and other movie type provider apps.  We just recently cancelled Dish Network and are just using apps to watch TV.  Its working OK with our internet, but not great.  That said, I don't miss having Dish and it will save over $1000 in a year.  If Starlink is adequate or even better, then we would switch to it.  The equipment is quite expensive I know.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Mike W

FFOTS - 

absolutely, my son has all the tech data on the uploads and download speeds, all I can say is after 7 years here, two Hughes net subscriptions for internet at $125.00 each, Dish net at $110, and we also have pour cell signal here, ah life in the boonies.  All that said, dropped all TV and the two Internet services we had once this was brought on line here and thrilled we did.

Kids stream on line video gaming with other world players, while wife watches Hulu, or other hundred available tv shows, while I can still watch U-tube videos from the forestry forum, all with no buffering whatsoever.

In fact I dont recall having a single time when I saw the buffer wheel of death.... on anyone's system.

We got in on the Beta testing due to my sons footwork and our geographical location and the fact we are the perfect customer who has suffered this long out here.  So even during beta testing its been flawless, the only thing not cool as yet but fully understand is not being able to personally configure the router, that will be part of the official rollout, guess they didn't want folks like me poking fingers around their configurations while they are still under testing.

All and all, anyone who doesnt currently have a fiber connection point within eyesight would benefit from StarLink

Thank You Sponsors!