iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BSA projects

Started by doc henderson, April 15, 2021, 01:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

here is a woodworking merit badge project.  making grunt sticks, to raise worms out of the ground.  got to cut (rip) boards with a hands saw, and use hammers and chisels, tape measure and square.  

shop area a little cleaner.

lots of noise and activity in the shop.  no worms or boys were harmed in the making of this movie.  any and all free free to add to the thread with any youth organization or activity.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

metalspinner

Love it, Doc
I've had several projects over the years I've done with the scouts. 
Here's a couple pics from when they were Cubs. 

A grandfather holding the nail for his little one 

A busted finger😂

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

doc henderson

we made 5 benches in 2 hours.  only one minor injury and it was a grown up.  had to make something using a mortice and tenon joint.  we voted and decided to hand cut the legs.   :D

some walnut seats with maple legs,  and one chose all ERC.  

sharp Japanese pull saw, very sharp, a dad holding and a young scout sawing.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Looks like fun. Bet they were glad there was a Doc around when that pull saw got out of control! :D Which reminds me, I need to check the stocking in my shop FA bag.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

metalspinner

First Aid Merit Badge opportunities abound in the wood shop! You should have a couple of Tenderfoots standing by to render aid.  :D

doc henderson

the injured dad is an electrician by trade.  the scout came in and told me what happened.  could not find the dad.  I thought maybe he had already gone to the ED.  he was already at his truck wrapping it with Kleenex and electrical tape.  all survived.  we spread out and they were out on the drive, and it had started to get dark.  the scout is the youngest and smallest, and is always trying to show he is as fast and strong as everyone ese.  his dad is in the military.  It was another scouts dad helping him.  lessons for all, and part of the value to the scouting program.  IMO.

Ed_K

Ouch  :o , that made my stomach turn  :( . I don't have a problem if it's me that gets hurt but when it's someone else it's hard to take.
Ed K

firefighter ontheside

Well done Doc!  Providing opportunities for woodworking and first aid.  These are both important skills for a scout.  Maybe next time you will have them cut the legs off on the mill.   ;D :D
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

metalspinner

Something else to look forward too from this event?? You have your next campfire skit already scripted out.  :D

doc henderson

went camping.  I was harassed by a big rat in the cabin, and John the other leader (35 year army retired Lt colonel) was attacked in his tent by a (we think) armadillo.  I got woke every 30 minutes and there are 8 sets of punctures to Johns tent.  he heard and felt it and slapped at it, and got slapped back.  boys had a good time.

this one learned to prime a Pitcher pump.

ready for fishing, Ks attire.  

what is left of sausage and scrambled eggs in a cast iron skillet over an open fire.

coffee and hot water for chocolate, and hamburger stew on the other end, staying warm.

John teaching totum chip or sharp tool safety.

samandothers

Fun times, well except for being harassed by nature!  Great memories for the guys too.  

bigblockyeti

Oh man does that bring back memories!  I'm amazed at what I was able to do in the 90's that's now forbidden for any non-adult at any BSA sactioned event.  Even using cordless drills by boy scouts is a bit of a grey area.  My son crossed over last December and we've been hitting service projects and helping others with Eagle project regularly since.  The adults having to pre-cut everything for any wood or metal project is burdensome but tends to go smoothly if all the details are planned well and in advance.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: bigblockyeti on September 27, 2022, 10:05:19 AM
... I'm amazed at what I was able to do in the 90's that's now forbidden for any non-adult at any BSA sactioned event.  ......
You should have seen what we could 'get away with' in the 60's and 70's :D :D ;D. I began my first hitch as an SM around 1977. I recall a couple of 'events' that would have had the parents of today calling the police and FBI to track us down. Great times!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

we have a Luminary project event that occurs over the holidays in Hutch.  gone on for 40 some year.  we always help with it.  set out the paper bags with sand for weight and a candle in one of the wealthy older parts of town.  Hyde Park.  some years we also serve the cookies and hot apple cider.  their are carolers and brass bands and feels like the old days.  the homes are many over 100 years old.  we were joined by senior honor society students.

Thank You Sponsors!