iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chestnut oak table top

Started by Greyhound, June 17, 2021, 05:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greyhound

Here's a sneak peak at a table top I'm working on after a first coat of Waterlox.  The lumber came from the "leftovers" from some chestnut oaks I had milled a while ago.  I sold off all the primo clear and quartersawn lumber from that whack.  I have several dozen more dead standing chestnut oaks on my property.  I look forward to felling and milling them in the near future.  Much better than using them for firewood. 

Greyhound

Here's the base with it's first coat of finish.

trimguy

Very nice! Curious, what's the groove around the inside for ? Some way to attach the top ?

Dan_Shade

Very nice.  I have a coffee table that I made from chestnut oak.

One of my favorite woods. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

btulloh

Quote from: trimguy on June 20, 2021, 10:46:17 AM
Very nice! Curious, what's the groove around the inside for ? Some way to attach the top ?
That groove is for standard clips made specifically for table tops. They screw to the underside of the top and the other end is offset and goes in the groove. Easy way to accommodate seasonal wood movement in a table top. They are readily available and in pretty wide use.  Z clips

There's also a figure 8 type clip that's pretty popular but they don't use a groove, just a shallow counterbore with a forstner bit.  
HM126

trimguy

KenMac

Very nice work Greyhound!! I like the character imperfect wood gives a piece.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

WDH

Beautiful table.  Nice job on the breadboard.  Is it tongue and grooved and pinned?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Greyhound

Quote from: trimguy on June 20, 2021, 10:46:17 AM

As above for clips hold the table top to the base and allow plenty of movement. They are quick, easy and work great.

Ianab

You can also make wooden "buttons" that work the same as the Z clips.Same idea, holds the table top in place but allows for some wood movement. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

samandothers

Do you use Waterlox a lot for your furniture?  I have used it on some smaller pieces.  It  seems pretty easy to use, it does leave a bit of an amber tone it seems on some of the items I've done. 

Greyhound

Quote from: samandothers on June 21, 2021, 10:22:57 PM
Do you use Waterlox a lot for your furniture?  I have used it on some smaller pieces.  It  seems pretty easy to use, it does leave a bit of an amber tone it seems on some of the items I've done.
Yes, it has a little amber tone.  Looks really good on this oak.  I've used it on a couple table tops before but those were closed grain cherry or maple.  This is my first time using it on oak. It's super waterproof but doesn't have the same "build" as polyurethane... I tried something new (recommended on the waterlox site) and wet sanded the first couple coats to try to fill some of the pores with slurry.  We'll see how it turns out eventually.

WDH

Wet sanding when using pure tung oil works great to fill pores and get a glass smooth finish too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Greyhound

Quote from: WDH on June 21, 2021, 07:41:28 AM
Beautiful table.  Nice job on the breadboard.  Is it tongue and grooved and pinned?
Yes it is. 

Greyhound

Here's the final product delivered to FIL's place.  Also included a picture of the underside with the clips.

samandothers

Very elegant!  Did the wet sanding help smooth the finish? 

Greyhound

Yes.  I wasn't going for a completely flat surface, but it did even out quite a bit.  You can see the difference in the texture of the top and bottom.  No wet sand on bottom.

Thank You Sponsors!